Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

intermittent internet problem

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2007, 09:41 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent internet problem

Am trying to set up the internet on a small business network. Its all set up an works other than the fact that the net once connected, last for a few mins, grinds to a hault an stops (still says its connected), resetting the modem occasionally gets a few more mins on line time but not always.

Set up is, ADSL filter out of BT socket in wall >>splits to ADSL and Fax.

ADSL goes into a "ZOOM" USB Modem and then USB into comp.

ISP is "Abel Always". In network connections it has a broadband PPOE WLAN connection setup but gets a cannot access remote computer error.
In dial up connections, it has a zoom adsl connection which does connect to the net at broadband speed!!???

Bt says there is nothing wrong with the line and able always says its fine at there end too (ie broadband line coming through on there system).

Next step is to change the brand new moem to a diff one as thats all i can think of doing.

Also, i plugged my own wireless router into the system to try an get it to work, but forgot the install disc. When i pluggged it back into my home line, the router doesnt seem to work anymore (saying it cant authenticate something) coincidence or not, could a virus bollox the routers up?

sorry for the long drawn out spraff but BT and the ISP are usless!! may also change ISP

any replies/ advice would be great

thanks

Nick
Old 27 June 2007, 10:26 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had a similar problem with BT for 16 weeks.
Goto Test Result to check your ip profile and speed. Thats how BT found out my problem as the "inter-leaving" was turned off on my connection, soon as it was turned on my problems went away.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:31 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

what were your problems?

I went to testResult and got

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user blahblah and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

5168 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is blah blah, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:50 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nix_pug
Am trying to set up the internet on a small business network. Its all set up an works other than the fact that the net once connected, last for a few mins, grinds to a hault an stops (still says its connected), resetting the modem occasionally gets a few more mins on line time but not always.

Set up is, ADSL filter out of BT socket in wall >>splits to ADSL and Fax.

ADSL goes into a "ZOOM" USB Modem and then USB into comp.

ISP is "Abel Always". In network connections it has a broadband PPOE WLAN connection setup but gets a cannot access remote computer error.
In dial up connections, it has a zoom adsl connection which does connect to the net at broadband speed!!???

Bt says there is nothing wrong with the line and able always says its fine at there end too (ie broadband line coming through on there system).

Next step is to change the brand new moem to a diff one as thats all i can think of doing.

Also, i plugged my own wireless router into the system to try an get it to work, but forgot the install disc. When i pluggged it back into my home line, the router doesnt seem to work anymore (saying it cant authenticate something) coincidence or not, could a virus bollox the routers up?

sorry for the long drawn out spraff but BT and the ISP are usless!! may also change ISP

any replies/ advice would be great

thanks

Nick

The router holds the username and password of a PPPoE connection, so if you used it on one, it would need the username and password changed back to your home one.

When it says connected have you done any connection checks ?

Do the lights change on the modem ?
Are you able to Ping?
Do you have an IP address and if so can you release and renew ?
Do you run any security software ? Firewalls? Try turning them off and using OS firewall?
Do you have spyware protection, a connection can be used up by other applications such as spyware...

Theres a million things mate
Old 28 June 2007, 12:43 AM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

dont i know theres a million things! ive tried about 500,000! I got he router working back home, so thats a bonus, wireless for upstairs is fecked still but thats not that big an issue.

As for the main problem, i ran i speed check on the line when it was working an it came up spot on 1.1mps. The modem has 3 lights, power, link and data.

power an link are fine, data flashes, think it goes off when it hangs.

can ping and renew Ip whens its working, doesnt want to know when its hanging. No spyware protection on a the mo, but i dont think thats the problem, might try an get on for a few mins an d/load one, any free quick ones u can suggest?
I turned thefirewalls off an on, didnt make a difference.

I think the main problem is that it sends out far more packets than it receives, somehow packets are not getting through and if they do its in dribs an drabs.

when its starting to slow down u can get on to google and search for quite a few differnt things, but if u try and click on any links it doesnt want to know, as if its too much data for it, so back on the browser to google and do another search, its fine, and again fine, try to click on a new webpage or one of the search hits, no chance!
Old 28 June 2007, 12:44 AM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

Also, any reason why when u install the modem the line comes up underthe dial up heading?
Old 28 June 2007, 01:14 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Also, any reason why when u install the modem the line comes up underthe dial up heading?

Some broadband company use the dial up method doesn't make much difference.

So no IP when it hangs?

If your sending a lot of data it certainly could be spyware throttling your PC,

Try a Netstat -n and count the establish connection when it hangs.

As for spyware, try spybot s&d, its free and quick good.

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2007, 07:47 AM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with my connection but I am Cable so might be totally different to you. The problem was that the connection would only last for a while then stop. Restarting the modem made it work for a while then stop again. Turns out that the downstream frequency on the modem had changed. I hat to log on to the modem and change it back to what it should be.
Old 28 June 2007, 09:32 AM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

i guess it could be spyware, i'll get soemthing sorted on that front. What are the steps to renew the IP?

Hepy, that sounds just like it! The USB modem is just that, its only a modem not a router, so by my limted understanding it doesnt have a gateway IP address to access settings etc like a router, but i could be wrong on that one??
Old 28 June 2007, 11:46 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

i guess it could be spyware, i'll get soemthing sorted on that front. What are the steps to renew the IP?

Hepy, that sounds just like it! The USB modem is just that, its only a modem not a router, so by my limted understanding it doesnt have a gateway IP address to access settings etc like a router, but i could be wrong on that one??
Normally ADSL modems dont have access pages, the freq he changed on the cable modem is totally different to ADSL, 192.168.100.1 for cable modems.

The only modems that have config pages are the ones that store the Username and password, but as you use a dial up connection your isn't the one.

The router you tested it with, I assume its ADSL and did you get that connected? if so and it still dropped the connection its got to be either the line or the PC and the only thing I can think of on a tcp that can cause intermitting connection is spyware. You've tried everything else.
Old 28 June 2007, 12:44 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

the wireless router was an adsl one but i didnt get it working. I dont think i could access the routers IP to configure it. Does it need to be a working net connection to access the router setup page? Will the routers IP be the same here as at work if i bring it again? Jus tthe computers ip wiull be different?

Starting to get a wee bit out my depth, but im learning!
Old 28 June 2007, 06:27 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

ok, got it working with a new modem, one of the ones that requires a username and password.

Everytime they start the computer, does the BB connection have to be dialed in or can this be set up to autoconnect /permanent connection, like normal BB?

Also installed spybot which picked up a few things, but dont think that was the primary problem.

thanks for all the help!

nick
Old 29 June 2007, 11:51 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

ok, got it working with a new modem, one of the ones that requires a username and password.

Everytime they start the computer, does the BB connection have to be dialed in or can this be set up to autoconnect /permanent connection, like normal BB?

Also installed spybot which picked up a few things, but dont think that was the primary problem.

thanks for all the help!

nick
The ones that hold the username and password are an always on connection, give it a minute to connect when you boot.

Glad to hear you got it sorted