Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One for the Wireless Gurus!

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2007, 03:57 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for the Wireless Gurus!

I have a 2Wire router, connected to Tiscali.
Got it set up fine, connects quickly enough.
During the day (mainly) and evening it looses connection. Re-booting it usually get it going again, but it often drops after a couple of minutes.

It looks like a router issues, but it does seem worse during what I'd expect to be peak times, suggesting it's traffic connection.

This is my third wireless router, and I'm loath to try another one!

Any ideas much appreciated!
Old 12 June 2007, 05:16 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Router
Early wireless routers were a pain, as they dropped connections all the time.
Make sure its firmware is up-to-date.

Wireless Adapter
Make sure you have a decent wireless adapter. Plug-in USB wireless sticks are usually pi$$-poor. Make sure your using up-to-date drivers for it (see manufacturers website)

Interference
You can change the channel (eg. frequency) the wireless router operates at, in the routers menu screens. You may have something in the house that interferes with it's currently selected channel (eg. wireless telephones, etc...)
Old 13 June 2007, 09:46 AM
Keells
Scooby Regular

Firstly what connection is it that is being droped is it your internet connection or is it the wireless connection? As these are two sperarte connections.

If it is your internet connection that keeps droping out and you have tried other routers, then would suggest it could be either a phone line fault or an issue with the ISP, would try calling Tiscali if you haven't tried.

If it is the wireless connection that drops then you need to make sure the adapter in you PC is compatible with the wirless signal the router is giving out. If the router is a Wirless G then it is backward compatible with a wireless B adapter, but no the other way round.
Old 13 June 2007, 12:08 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

it's the broadband connection which drops. I use a USB adapter, as despite PC World labelling my laptop at Vista Compatible, the inbuilt adapter isn't. The connection through the USB one is spot on.
Pretty sure it isn't Tiscali, as a reboot usually works, and I can't believe any ISP would be down for 30-50% of the day.

Not sure if you can update the firmware of the router - the website's useless.