Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dual Booting Vista 64 and Xp

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2007, 08:06 AM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Booting Vista 64 and Xp

Anyone done it i need to set this up as i have a shiney new piece of guitar gear and the software for it will not run on a 64bit operating system be it Vista or Xp which although it works fine standalone i missing ot on a lot of functionality.
So as i run Vista 64 bit i'm screwed unless i can dual boot with Xp on the same drive. The manufacturers are in no rush to bring our compatible 64bit software and drivers checking the online forum people have been on at them for at least 6 months so i figured dual booting with xp would sort me problem.So i repartitioned my C drive which Vista 64 is installed on, made a 30gig partition called it Xp and it's partition E and i have a second drive which is already D which i just use for extra storage etc.
Fine so far but when i re boot to install Xp on the newly partitioned E the xp setup screw doesn't see the new partition just the two hard drives C and D
Any ideas folks or even if theirs another way round the problem.
Old 01 June 2007, 12:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I can't answer your problem directly, but I use Microsoft Virtual Machine (which is free) to run the things that will not run in Vista. It is working well on all the things I've thrown at it so far.

Steve
Old 01 June 2007, 01:47 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

odd that it doesn't see a partition, I would say though check the size of the partition, XP setup may label it differently from what you have set it up. Is the XP disk with service pack 2?

Edited, sorry I slightly misread this just now, how did you make the extra partition?

Last edited by mike1210; 01 June 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04 June 2007, 02:36 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Could you not just install XP on your D data drive?

I have run a machine with quad boot - Win98, XP, Vista32 and Vista64 when trying out the RC1 versions of Vista. You might find VistaBootPRO useful... VistaBootPRO - Go PRO with Microsoft Windows Vista Boot Manager

Why VistaBootPRO?
Chances are you're here because you're running Windows Vista and want to do one of two things. Install a second OS or manage your boot configuration without directly editing the BCDEdit file.
Mick
Old 04 June 2007, 08:01 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mick, thats a great app, thx for the link
Old 06 June 2007, 07:51 AM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks, all sorted. Main reason Xp couldn't see my new partition was it was a very early Xp disc with no service packs. Tried again using Xp service pack 2 and it found the new partition straight away. Installed Xp, then ran Vista boot repair from the Vista Dvd and job done.
Also installed Linux Ubuntu as well just for the hell of it and to have a play with Linux, all works a treat.