Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Broadband question...

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2007, 08:16 PM
supernick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BT Broadband question...

I currenty have BT Broadband (the one with the wireless white box). It has 2 network and 1 usb connections on the bottom of it. The 2 network ones are used and i have just added a printer to my collection and want to use it with my wireless laptop.

The printer doesnt have a network plug on it but it does have a little square plug on it - with a matching cable that goes in it with a USB connection plug on the end.

Can i do this

Edited to say that i have plugged the usb pinter into the router but the computer doesnt /or wont recognise it.

Last edited by supernick; 31 May 2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 31 May 2007, 09:19 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Home Hub has two USB connectors. We've been asked what these ports are for. Here's what we know:
  • You can use the USB-B port to connect directly to a PC. You need special Home Hub USB drivers available from BT.
  • The USB-A port will be used when connecting your BT Fusion adapter to the Home Hub, and according to BT's site, this port may be used for future developments.
USB Printer sharing: There's been discussion in the Home Hub forum about printer sharing. It seems that it may be possible to connect a printer to the hub via USB and to access it via the network. Thanks to forum visitor Julioarca for telling us what worked for him:
  1. Add your printer normally as if its attached to your machine.
  2. Once added, right click on properties then on the ports tab.
  3. Click add port, choose Standard TCP/IP Port, click New Port.
  4. Enter 192.168.1.253 as the IP address, and anything you like as the name.
  5. Click Custom, then Settings.
  6. Choose LPR as protocol Queue Name: LPT1 check LPR byte counting as enabled, click ok.
  7. Finish the wizard.
taken from BT Home Hub explored