Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New PC advice needed.....

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2007, 11:35 PM
Hungrytang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PC advice needed.....

My old desktop PC is on its last legs and is very old and slow so im going to replace it with a new one...

I only need the PC itself as I already have a good tft monitor and a printer ect.

Ive been looking on dell and ebuyer but I dont know what im looking at as im no computer wizz.

My PC is used for internet surfing and some light office work. (Word ect)
No games and some music.

My only request is that its fast as I dont want to have to wait for things to load.

Can anyone recommend me a new PC??

500 quid is my budget.
Old 26 May 2007, 10:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did this for my oldman. Went for one of the Dell Allendale Core2duo base desktops. Very nicely made machine, quick, completely silent and well put together, n u can spec it with OS type, drives etc etc. You can get it with or without a monitor, speakers etc. Would recommend. The only thing that is off putting is the clueless Indian call centre staff. We were lucky and got someone who was fairly knowledgeable. His system was £470 all in.
Old 26 May 2007, 10:45 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

any bottom of the range pc will probably do. internet, music and word do not really require any power.

1gig of memory should be ok, again this is normally bottom of the market these days anyway.

even on ebuyer you can get a 3800 cpu and 1 gig for 300 quid. that is more than enough.

if you spend any more than 300 its probably money wasted
Old 26 May 2007, 11:58 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

How about a Dell Dimension E520 for less that £300 delivered??

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

You need to adjust the warranty to "1 year collect and return" to get the price to £293.82

Spec should be fine for what you need it for (Plus you have a PCI-Express slot should you wish to put in a decent graphics card)

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
250gb hard disk
1gb ram
Keyboard/Mouse
DVDRW drive
19in flat panel

It comes with Windows Vista but should you want it with Windows XP you'll need to call Dell and quote E-value code D05E02axp as that evalue code no longer works online!

If you go with Vista, consider upgrading to 2gb ram whether directly from Dell or through a third party (Such as Crucial.com)

Good luck

Nick