Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VISTA = CRAP

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2007, 08:45 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VISTA = CRAP

load of ***** this new vista, i cant get any of my digi camera or printer to work etc as no drivers available totall bollox

its a canon ixus v2 and a canon i550x

how easy would it be to go to xp? its a new machine supplied with vista
Old 13 May 2007, 09:47 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

To go to XP would require a complete re install of the OS, unless nacked up any important files to external drives / USB you would lose them. Why not talk to the supplier of the pc and see if they can sort something out ?

Have you tried the XP drivers for the printer and camera ? Got Vista at work and have got around a few probs with this method

Richard
Old 13 May 2007, 09:50 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It can be a total pain in the butt to get back to xp. The issue comes from the fact that most (nearly all) new machines will be using a SATA controller for you harddrive. As the machine is new, the drivers for the SATA drive are most likely not on your Win XP CD. Win XP is bloody stupid in that the only default way to load the drivers when installing is using a floppy disk with those drivers on.

Should your new machine be afflicted with this issue, and have no floppy drive live can be painful for you. There are ways to merge the drivers you need onto your install disk, but its such a pain in the **** you are better off temporarily fitting a floppy drive.

Once that is done its plain sailing, and yes, Vista is crap. Its driver base is just not mature

If you have access to spare storage you may want to consider using something like Acronis True Image to take a backup of your Vista install before you start.
Old 13 May 2007, 09:55 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

great lol

so basicly i either buy a new camera which to be fair is a possibility

my printer i hardly use

or sell my bloody laptop

or sit tight and hope that shortly all these little niggles will be sorted out over time by the suppliers, canon etc release vista drivers
Old 13 May 2007, 10:18 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you want to use a 5 year old camera, use a 5 year old OS

There will be no problem using your camera with Vista. Just get a USB card reader for a few quid and your set.

Its Canon that are too lazy to write new drivers because they want you to buy a new camera, doesn't make Vista crap does it ?
Old 13 May 2007, 10:26 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The fact that MS did not release Vista to hardware manufacturers early unless they paid big $$$ does make Vista crap. The policy that MS adopted made sure that when Vista was released a large amount of hardware would not work with it.

It was also MS decision to not make Vista interpret Win XP drivers to allow them to work in Vista.

Manufacturers to this day are still having issues getting drivers for current hardware to work on Vista, so you can forget about them doing the old stuff for a good while. Just bought a brand new HP printer for a friend (new model as well) it arrived with no Vista drivers and a big note inside to say that they are working on a fix. Fortunately we don't care as we have the sense to stay with XP for a good while.

Not to mention all the DRM encryption built into Vista that makes it run like a pig when it comes to video
Old 13 May 2007, 10:38 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

MS worked with thousands of manufacturers to create Vista drivers, many couldn't be bothered or couldn't afford to, that tells you something about those manufacturers. Most had 3-5 years lead time to get ready. If you let old drivers operate on a new OS, then manufacturers would be even more lazy.

Yes, people need to be informed that drivers may not be available, so they need to check properly before upgrading, but you can hardly point the finger at MS.

Can't say I've had a problem with any hardware, software or media?

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2007, 10:41 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

well im seriously considering selling my laptop now and buying another, shame as its only a week old too and a good spec
Old 13 May 2007, 10:46 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

You printer does have drivers for Vista if you look on the Canon website and you can use a card reader for your camera. Whats the problem ?
Old 13 May 2007, 10:47 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Have you checked the Canon website for drivers lately? I recently got Vista drivers for my printer which weren't available when I first got Vista.

But the lack of support is annoying, some of my most important software still isn't supported and I can't run it.

Sony Ericsson PC Suite (to sync my mobile with Outlook).
Project in a Box (PRINCE2 project management software).

Old 13 May 2007, 10:51 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
You printer does have drivers for Vista if you look on the Canon website and you can use a card reader for your camera. Whats the problem ?

<sarcasm>

Looking on the website for drivers? Don't be so crazy, Vista is clearly just 'crap'

</sarcasm>

Old 13 May 2007, 10:58 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Windows ME, now that was crap
Old 13 May 2007, 11:35 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

hmmn yes never thpought of a card reader, the laptop has got card reader built in but think its a diff type to my camera, ill look on ebay
Old 13 May 2007, 11:43 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
It can be a total pain in the butt to get back to xp. The issue comes from the fact that most (nearly all) new machines will be using a SATA controller for you harddrive. As the machine is new, the drivers for the SATA drive are most likely not on your Win XP CD. Win XP is bloody stupid in that the only default way to load the drivers when installing is using a floppy disk with those drivers on.

Should your new machine be afflicted with this issue, and have no floppy drive live can be painful for you. There are ways to merge the drivers you need onto your install disk, but its such a pain in the **** you are better off temporarily fitting a floppy drive.
You can normally just go into the BIOS and configure your SATA drives to appear as IDE. You may lose AHCI features such as hot-swapability and native command queuing but you'll be able to install XP no problem.
Old 13 May 2007, 12:04 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

By the way, had you bought a Macbook/other Apple computer, your age old Ixus will just work with it...

Suprised Iain has not yet appeared to defend his beloved Vista yet
Old 13 May 2007, 12:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
Suprised Iain has not yet appeared to defend his beloved Vista yet
I can't be bothered. Everyone knows that macs are so superior
Old 13 May 2007, 12:13 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The fact that MS did not release Vista to hardware manufacturers early unless they paid big $$$ does make Vista crap. The policy that MS adopted made sure that when Vista was released a large amount of hardware would not work with it.
Rubbish. Vista was available to hardware manufacturers and software developers a long time before it was released to the general public. I was using a beta of it at least a year before the final release.

Not to mention all the DRM encryption built into Vista that makes it run like a pig when it comes to video
Erm, not sure what you mean here. It play all my video files just fine.

It can be a total pain in the butt to get back to xp. The issue comes from the fact that most (nearly all) new machines will be using a SATA controller for you harddrive
I've never had a problem. I've got 4 sata drives (3 hard discs and 1 dvd writer) in one of my desktop machines. I installed XP on it using an old xp pro disc, and it all worked first time. No need for floppy boot discs. Just stick the cd in the drive, and ensure that the bios is set to boot from the cd.
Old 13 May 2007, 12:44 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I've never had that issue but if you do get it

DriverPacks.net > DriverPacks > DriverPack MassStorage

that may be your best friend
Old 13 May 2007, 01:06 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

to reinstall XP, if you get stuck check the below guide

TweakHound - The Right Way To Install Windows XP

Old 13 May 2007, 07:10 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Just install virtual PC on vista then install your version of xp on it until vista drivers become available. Takes all of an hour including drivers and basic apps Best of both worlds
Old 14 May 2007, 07:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had to use the system restore disc twice in a month on my vista laptop , both times due to the laptop not recognising any wirelees networks or lans. Not even gateway had a clue what was going on
Old 15 May 2007, 01:16 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

I'm going to agree with DJ Dunk all the way, and the title is actually crap. From a software development point of view, Vista is a revolution, it just hasn't been backed up by lazy 3rd pary companies of which I've found Sony to be the worst.

My top-end level Vaio came with Vista pre-installed and was sh!te, so i purchased Vista Ultimate, and done the whole thing from scratch myself, testing various Sony drivers, and now the system is super sweet! 64-bit architecture, 64-bit OS, Vaio & Vista, best system I've ever used.

Saying Vista is crap doesn't really tell the whole story!

Last edited by d4zza; 15 May 2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: edit
Old 15 May 2007, 01:19 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Vista is superb in comparison to XP, and by the time vista has been out as long XP has, it will only get better.

The title should read "current 3rd party support for vista = crap"
Old 15 May 2007, 01:31 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I have a problem at the moment with a Toshiba Laptop (on loan for testing and resolution of fault) and 3com Managed Wireless

No one can seem to get it to work for more than a few minutes, Toshiba, 3com and myself are working on this problem, but at the moment there isnt any resolution that any of us can find

It needs to be sorted asap as a customer is holding off buying 3,500 Tosh laptops until the problem is resolved

At the moment I cant even get it to connect to my wireless at home, but then I havent really spent much time on it
Old 15 May 2007, 02:19 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

vista does have some quite good useable features, and im sure once the driver issues is resolved it will be fine
Old 15 May 2007, 03:20 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I have a problem at the moment with a Toshiba Laptop (on loan for testing and resolution of fault) and 3com Managed Wireless

No one can seem to get it to work for more than a few minutes, Toshiba, 3com and myself are working on this problem, but at the moment there isnt any resolution that any of us can find

It needs to be sorted asap as a customer is holding off buying 3,500 Tosh laptops until the problem is resolved

At the moment I cant even get it to connect to my wireless at home, but then I havent really spent much time on it

Is this for business use? It's a very silly company that enters into the Vista era so quickly, and in my opinion, either haven't been advised or have been advised very badly!

On the plus side, it'll be great from an IT point of view for both supplier and support staff, cause that company will need to take on a lot of staff to cover the problems that will arise.
Old 15 May 2007, 05:03 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Its Education, not business, and it is their choice, they have been advised, and they need this specific specification and OS
Old 15 May 2007, 09:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Sonic'

In education, BECTA say (see PDF at Microsoft Vista and Office 2007: Interim report with recommendations on adoption and deployment)...

Based on the size of the school ICT estate in England in 2004, this gave indicative costs of deploying Vista as some £160 million. This estimate does not include the additional graphics cards necessary to take account of the Aero interface, which would add significantly to the cost base.
The new features of Vista add value but do not justify early deployment in the educational ICT estate. Educational institutions are strongly advised to consider the findings of Becta’s final report on Vista before considering any wide-scale deployment.
and

Following the outcome of discussions with Microsoft and a range of stakeholders, Becta will produce a final report with recommendations by January 2008.

...so it looks like our taxes will be going up even more

mb
Old 15 May 2007, 10:44 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Boomer I know

Our MD thinks that Vista will be the big hit this summer holidays in schools

I keep having to tell him that it isn't, Its Managed Wireless and Network Infrastructure upgrades for a lot of them

PC's for homes now thats another story altogether