Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

how do you dispose of your old kit

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2007, 10:08 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you dispose of your old kit

with the new weee regulations how are you getting rid of your old kit

we have store rooms full and a new budget, was just wondering what you guys are doing before I hit our usual suspects
Old 09 May 2007, 12:15 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

You wouldnt believe the kit our MD likes to keep, just in case someone somewhere one day may need 50 286 and 386 motherboards

I dont think our MD has allowed anything to be thrown out since the company started 25 years ago, the last stock take was I believe 1979

I found some backup tapes dating back to the early 1980's and rafts of 5 1/4" floppy disks (360k ones too)

I am not kidding either, he checks the bins too so we cant even throw stuff out without him knowing about it

We have 4 bin bags full of printer cartidges that went out of date in 2004, Blown UPS batteries

they recently bought 4 new tool boxes complete with tools for some of our installers, and I found 4 old toolboxes under the stairs that no one even knew about

He has now rented out a large double garage at the rear of our premises to allow us to store more sh*te !!!

He wont buy new kit either, so as old servers die, we replace them with the staff's desktop PC too
Old 09 May 2007, 02:21 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Easiest method is to hire the services of a 3rd party.

Depends on where you are, but there should be a dedicated company who will turn up ay your premises and take the stuff off you. They will recycle what they can and then securely destroy the stuff they can't (or you don't want them too - like Hard drives).

They'll issue a nice certificate to show you're compliant with the various regs...

It obviously costs, but job done.. you transfer all data risk and recycle issues to them in a contract / NDA...

There's one near us in Leeds I'm aware of called Tech Waste... (though their website appears to be redirecting.... )
Old 09 May 2007, 12:08 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

sonic your place sounds like we used to be

we now keep nothing apart from one huge room of dead pc's \printers that gets emptied when budget allows,

we normally head for the yellow pages and get a cheapest quote, so this sounds like what most do
Old 09 May 2007, 04:33 PM
JohnS

Freecycle™: Changing the World One Gift at a Time

We've got rid of old PCs, monitors and other things through our local Freecycle list. There's usually someone local who will happily come and collect the old bits and pieces from you.

John