Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cable modem Wireless router issues Virgin\telewest

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2007, 10:26 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable modem Wireless router issues Virgin\telewest

Anyone recormend a good wireless router to connect to telewest\Virgin cable... reason I ask is i'm using a Netgear and when the connection is through this instead of a 10m broadband it won't run more than 6 or 7 tested to blueyonders servers and direct on the cable modem it runs 1.1mbps... i.e. 10m

Still have an issue with Virgin though as come evening time the speed drops to 2m if i test to anywhere other than virgins test server which is crap, my mate gets 6.5. 7m from all the usual broadband speed test places and he's on a cheapish DSL connnection and paying hlf what i am

Anyhow for now need a proven router that doesn't throttle the bandwidth as the Netgear does... And TBH i never thought that would be the problem, I'm an IT guy and a Cisco CCNP so know a little about networks but the stuff I work with is good gear and it never even crossed my mind that the router would knacker the bandwidth like that, I mean its routing foook all and its still ****e... learn something new every day
so recormendations please, tested ones if poss
Ta
Daz
Old 02 May 2007, 10:54 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give us a list of test sites and I'll run my wireless on my mac via my linksys (cisco) box then report back the results.