Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 / Xbox 360 - Laymans terms?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2007, 10:46 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile PS3 / Xbox 360 - Laymans terms?

I`m in the market for a new console and can`t decide between the PS3 or Xbox360.
I`ve had a PS2 since its launch but only have a few games, I tend just to play driving games - All the WRCs (no.4 being the most played game I own) GT4, Richard Burns Rally and the TOCA series and just for a change Medal of Honour. So as I dont kow much about computers/consoles etc can you tell me what`s what in basic laymans terms.
Can I use either console as a DVD recorder or does it just play DVDs? Whats benifit is Bluray? What is Bluray? I have a 6 year old Sony TV, does that matter, will I need a HDMI lead? What top class driving games are there available to temp me toward a 360? Do you have to pay extra to play online? Any other basics I may need to know?

Neil
Old 18 April 2007, 11:05 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n one
I`m in the market for a new console and can`t decide between the PS3 or Xbox360.
I`ve had a PS2 since its launch but only have a few games, I tend just to play driving games - All the WRCs (no.4 being the most played game I own) GT4, Richard Burns Rally and the TOCA series and just for a change Medal of Honour. So as I dont kow much about computers/consoles etc can you tell me what`s what in basic laymans terms.
Can I use either console as a DVD recorder or does it just play DVDs? Whats benifit is Bluray? What is Bluray? I have a 6 year old Sony TV, does that matter, will I need a HDMI lead? What top class driving games are there available to temp me toward a 360? Do you have to pay extra to play online? Any other basics I may need to know?

Neil
Simple answer is to play games now. Then it has to be a 360 due to choice of games. You have Forza 2 due very soon which should be the best driving game on a next gen console to date.

you'll need a HDTV to take advantage of either machine. More so if you wish to watch Blue-Ray movies.
Old 18 April 2007, 11:17 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Xbox 360 and add king of turdz to your friends list so I can kill you on cod 3. bastid yanks keep killing me
Old 18 April 2007, 11:41 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

What is Bluray?
Bluray is ghey
Old 18 April 2007, 12:34 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

There's no games out at the minute that would interest you.

Colin Mc Dirt is out june-ish and as mentioned before Forza 2 soon.

So keep the money in the bank while you're waiting for such titles and they will come down in price in the meantime.
Old 18 April 2007, 12:42 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Not sure about that, and the consoles are unlikely to drop in price this side of xmas. For driving we currently have...

PGR3
Test Drive Unlimited
Burnout 4

All of which are pretty good (I don't like PGR3 much, but a lot of people do). Forza 2 is only a few weeks away (end of May).. There are a few others, but those are the best.

You mention you also like Medal of Honour. If so, on the 360 you'd also like...

Call of Duty 2 (can get this very cheap now)
Call of Duty 3
Gears of War
Lost Planet
etc...

There's really quite a lot of choice now
Old 18 April 2007, 12:45 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Can I use either console as a DVD recorder or does it just play DVDs?
Both machines are players only.

Whats benifit is Bluray? What is Bluray?
High definition dvd basically. You won't see any benefit unless you have a nice new HD tv, and the format wars are still raging between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray at the moment, so I personally wouldn't buy either until it settles down.

I have a 6 year old Sony TV, does that matter, will I need a HDMI lead?
No, because it won't have a compatible socket on the tv. You'll have to stick with normal old rf, composite, svhs, or component connections depending on what the tv supports.
Old 18 April 2007, 01:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Neil
At the moment.

Xbox 360. No contest. Apart from Blueray, the consoles are similarly capable and the Xbox is MUCH cheaper! Perhaps even an even more salient factor in your decision in game availability on which basis the xbox wins hands down.

It'll be more of a contest in a year I'm sure!

Ns04
Old 18 April 2007, 01:43 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

I`ll hang on to my money a while longer. Shame, cos I`m itching to spend it. A real pity neither record DVDs, that means I`ll be spending extra on a DVD recorder too. While I`m in the shop I`d better have a new HD telly. Spend spend spend.

Many thanks,

Neil
Old 18 April 2007, 08:59 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Erm..... Test Drive Unlimited

One of the best games for the 360 if your into driving games.
Old 19 April 2007, 06:55 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

xbox 360 for all the reasons above,
Old 19 April 2007, 08:33 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Not sure about that, and the consoles are unlikely to drop in price this side of xmas. For driving we currently have...
You're kidding right? The PS3 is already £379. I'd wager it will be £299 or less by xmas.

There's a new deal every week for the X360 too, albeit not as much money off. Last i saw was £209.
Old 20 April 2007, 08:16 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Laymans terms.

360, It's been out over a year meaning more selection of games, (although not all great).

And to be honest naff all in the graphics stakes between the two at the moment it's purely game selection and price.
Old 20 April 2007, 10:07 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You're kidding right? The PS3 is already £379. I'd wager it will be £299 or less by xmas.
Sony have stated (as recently as yesterday) that they have no plans to reduce the price of the console any time soon. They are losing so much money on each machine at it's current price that they simply can't afford to.

The price reductions you are seeing in shops etc are retailers selling their stock at much lower profit margins to try and shift some stock. It's nothing to do with the price Sony are selling them for.

There are quite a few duff 360 games out there, but there are also a large number of great titles available now. As said elsewhere on this thread, the 360 and ps3 are nearly identical in terms of graphical capability etc, so the choice of console really comes down to the selection of games available. The 360 is clearly the winner at the moment as far as this is concerned, and looking at the future lineups, it looks to stay that way for at least the next year....
Old 20 April 2007, 10:33 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

PGR3
Test Drive Unlimited
Burnout 4

All of which are pretty good (I don't like PGR3 much, but a lot of people do).
PGR3, I'm with you on that Iain, played it round a friends for a couple of hours and thought how boring! Visually looked superb, just not enough variation in the game I guess.

Gary
Old 20 April 2007, 06:57 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

The more I read the more it looks like it`ll be a 360 then. But for some strange reason I feel slightly swayed toward the PS3.

Neil
Old 20 April 2007, 07:20 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

But for some strange reason I feel slightly swayed toward the PS3.
Why? There is currently nothing that pulls me towards a PS£. If I were you, I would wait a little longer. I have a 360 and a Wii and am very happy with both consoles.
Old 20 April 2007, 07:57 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swiss scooby
Why? There is currently nothing that pulls me towards a PS£. If I were you, I would wait a little longer. I have a 360 and a Wii and am very happy with both consoles.
LOL even if it was a typing mistake PS"£" it should be called that due to it being over priced at the moment. The Xbox360 wins hands down for me but i guess thats because i had it free with a mobile phone contract its online capeabilities are brilliant aswel and i cant see the PS3 being upto that much to begin with.

And as for PGR3 i go through stages where im addicted to it, you need to play online and play a game type called Cat and Mouse thats the best for PGR3.

Melon
Old 21 April 2007, 10:40 AM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Sony have stated (as recently as yesterday) that they have no plans to reduce the price of the console any time soon. They are losing so much money on each machine at it's current price that they simply can't afford to.

The price reductions you are seeing in shops etc are retailers selling their stock at much lower profit margins to try and shift some stock. It's nothing to do with the price Sony are selling them for.
I price reduction was stated for around november time. The Cell processor has just gone through a process shrink so they can now produce them less money. I should think that everything else will be shrunk down to 65nm as soon as they can, to help reduce cost per unit. But at the end of they day, it is what you want. If you are in 2 minds take a little time to think about which one you want, becuase any savings will be wiped out if you end up buying both because you were not happy with your original purchase.

Jase
Old 21 April 2007, 11:03 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barmyclown
I price reduction was stated for around november time.
Dunno about that, but a press release from Sony on Thursday said they had no plans to reduce the price this year.

If you are in 2 minds take a little time to think about which one you want, becuase any savings will be wiped out if you end up buying both because you were not happy with your original purchase.
I'll end up having both (as soon as there's something worth buying on the ps3) because I like gadgets

The Q2 PS3 lineup isn't looking very tempting at all though...

• F.E.A.R.
  • Spider-Man 3
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • MLB 07 The Show
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
  • The Darkness
  • The Bigs
  • Transformers: The Game
The only interesting game on that list is "The darkness" and that's out on the 360 as well. Looks more and more like I'll be waiting till next year...
Old 26 April 2007, 07:33 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you input. I`ve also read all the other threads regarding PS3/360 too and you`ve made my mind up.

I`m off out to buy a 360 on Saturday

So, while I`m waiting for Forza2 and McRae Dirt to be released can you recommend me a first person shooter to keep me going. Either something Sci-fi or War related ?

Neil.
Old 26 April 2007, 07:58 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you input. I`ve also read all the other threads regarding PS3/360 too and you`ve made my mind up.

I`m off out to buy a 360 on Saturday

So, while I`m waiting for Forza2 and McRae Dirt to be released can you recommend me a first person shooter to keep me going. Either something Sci-fi or War related ?

Neil.
I really like Rainbow 6
Old 26 April 2007, 08:03 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Either something Sci-fi or War related ?
Call of Duty 2 was good, and you can get it very cheap now. Call of Duty 3 is more of the same, but with better graphics (but more expensive).
Old 26 April 2007, 09:24 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Gears of War?

What`s Oblivion about?

Edit: Oblivion, I`ve just done a search to find out

Last edited by n one; 26 April 2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 26 April 2007, 10:10 PM
StratosWRC
Scooby Regular

Neil
n one, Are you able to play GT4 on your PS2? Mine has never managed more than 2 races before the dreaded 'red spinning wheel' so at least going PS3 would enable me to play my PS2 games....crap reason I know but I'm sure WRC EVO II or whatever will be out soon enough.

Nick.
Old 26 April 2007, 10:51 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gears of War?

What`s Oblivion about?

Edit: Oblivion, I`ve just done a search to find out
Oblivion is better than life itself although that is coming from an rpg freak who has just spent 2 weeks levelling up his characters in shining force 2 to ????
Old 29 April 2007, 02:04 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Bought a 360 from Gamestation yesterday, what can I say, Xbox sexbox. Also got Gears of War and Oblivion with it, having only had time to spent an hour or two on GoW. The only thing I dislike about the 360 is the noise, it`s like a bloody helicopter landing, is there anything that can be done to make it quieter? Thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction as I was so very close on getting a PS3.

Neil
Old 29 April 2007, 02:49 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

The 360 is loud .... nothing really you can do.

I play on a projector that's louder than the 360 so I solved the noise problem that way. Just ramp the TV volume up
Old 29 April 2007, 08:03 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Bought a 360 from Gamestation yesterday, what can I say, Xbox sexbox. Also got Gears of War and Oblivion with it, having only had time to spent an hour or two on GoW. The only thing I dislike about the 360 is the noise, it`s like a bloody helicopter landing, is there anything that can be done to make it quieter? Thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction as I was so very close on getting a PS3.

Neil

You made the correct choice

If you think there noisey try adding the Nyco Cooler to the back of one...

Yes it aids cooling but it should come with ear defenders!
Old 30 April 2007, 10:07 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Be aware that the Nyko intercooler is not a good idea. There have been numerous reports of it burning out 360 consoles (because it draws power directly from the power socket on the back of the console, which was never designed for the extra current drain).

Quick Reply: PS3 / Xbox 360 - Laymans terms?