Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LAPTOP which one

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2007, 08:23 PM
ROOBY_ROO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LAPTOP which one

im looking to buy a laptop to browse the web but i aint got a scooby about them, id prefer one with wireless connection, im getting peed of with my daughters hogging the desktop to chat on msn all day and night so im gonna get one of my own then i can use it whenever i like. any suggestions on what to look for, im not looking for a mega thing, i dont download music etc, just something i can do all my browsing on ebay , scoobynet etc etc.

or better still is anyone selling one.
Old 31 March 2007, 08:28 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I bought one of these about 2 months. Does me fine - 120G Hard disk and 1G of RAM

Comet - Computing - Laptops - ACER - 15" bright widescreen
Old 31 March 2007, 08:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

This one...

Old 31 March 2007, 09:07 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

dabs.com cheap as. Got my 17" Acer Aspire 7000 for £469. 120GB hard drive. 512 Ram. Quite smart.

Phil.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:09 PM
ROOBY_ROO
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys lads, i didnt realise they were that dear, think ill have a look on fleabay, or get a second hand one from somewhere.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:10 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can pick a brand new one up from as little as £250. Depends what you want it to do. Try PC World I think they do one for £300.

Phil.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:19 PM
ROOBY_ROO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil555
You can pick a brand new one up from as little as £250. Depends what you want it to do. Try PC World I think they do one for £300.

Phil.

as long as it has wireless and i can surf the net thats all i want to do, i dont need to download stuff like music, films, etc. i do alot on ebay so thats the main reason really.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Find a Notebook, Desktop, Server, Printer, Software, Service or Monitor at Dell.
Old 31 March 2007, 10:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This really should be in the computing section

Not bought a laptop recently, so I won't say more.
Old 31 March 2007, 10:17 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

To be honest, any brand new budget laptop would do what you need it to do. £300 quid would buy a laptop which would carry out these tasks without problem. try Dell, HP and PcWorld they tend to have something on special at any given time.

The suggestion for a mac is over the top, for any mac you buy on the market there is a PC at half the cost which will perform just as well as it. I have to agree though the mac is a great looking machine.
Old 31 March 2007, 10:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by totalllama
for any mac you buy on the market there is a PC at half the cost which will perform just as well as it.
bites lip
Old 31 March 2007, 10:33 PM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
bites lip

... and not to mention the reliability probs we are getting now with Mac laptops.

Had to send 4 back for repair over the last few weeks.

Faulty batteries and mobos
Old 31 March 2007, 10:46 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Ahh the mac/pc debate

Lets take a butchers though.... The one you posted below is the Macbook Pro 17" which in itself is sexy and also costs £1899.00 from the apple site.
2.33C2D, 1GB Mem, 160GB HDD and X1600 GFX. Are the specs.

Moving over to the Dell webby and we find......
Dell XPS M1710, 2GHZ C2D, 120GB HDD, 1GB Mem and 256MB GF7900GS. for £1179. Nearly exact specs - give 40gb HDD space to Apple and of course the Dell has a much better GFX chip.

Both machines are able to supply web browsing via wireless network - would you go for the Apple for the sake of fashion and a BSD OS (bearing in mind Linux is superb these days on PC)? the big arguement is security but when your using a router with NAT who cares if you have a mac, pc or a microwave? a machine is only as safe as the user behind the keybaord.

Im not biased, Im an engineer who supports 300 macs and 150 PC's at a national newspaper. I do love the macs but feel that they dont give value for money.

Cheers J
Old 31 March 2007, 11:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I too work in publishing with over 12 years experience using both variants side-by-side. That experience has kept me on Mac at home and I can't see any reason for that to change. As for VFM, my home machine for the last 8 years has been a G3 PB 400mhz and it still copes with all I throw at it without fail. No crashes, no BSoD, no driver updates, no virus'......it just works, keeps working and pleases me constantly. How many people on here are still running the same PC and internals from 8+ years ago ? Total expenditure over the last 8 years then on computer hardware....950 for the PB and another 9.99 for a Bluetooth dongle !
I am due an update but am waiting for the new OS and to see what sexy new stuff comes along with it. For domestic use I simply cannot even consider anything MS based as I frequently have to sit tight-lipped and smug as I hear friends divulging their tales of woe as they struggle with their PC's. They all know my stance and I avoid involvement these days and they prefer to continue with their struggle instead of simply trying something different, just in case it is any better. In these days of Intel and BootCamp (or Parallels) the reasons not to try the switch are all but gone with cost being the only prohibitive factor. Then again, a Mini is usually perfectly powerful enough for most domestic tasks and they start IRO 400 or so.
It's one of those arguement that neither side will ever win or loose. I've made my educated choice, and so have you. Our personal preferences differ and we both believe we are right. My Mac was a little pricey when I first get it, but its longevity and reliability have overcome that, and it's ability to just keep succeeding at everything I require of it without external support and its associated cost and hassle makes me 100% a Mac devotee. In my current workplace we run about 12 Dell PowerEdge servers requiring 24/7/52/365 technical support from remote sites dotted around the globe to keep in the working day, whereas the 16 Macs lined up alongside me have simply worked from the box for the last 6-8 years (a variety of G4's up to Quicksilvers) with no external intereference or cost. VFM, Hell yes.
Old 31 March 2007, 11:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I too work in publishing with over 12 years experience using both variants side-by-side. That experience has kept me on Mac at home and I can't see any reason for that to change. As for VFM, my home machine for the last 8 years has been a G3 PB 400mhz and it still copes with all I throw at it without fail. No crashes, no BSoD, no driver updates, no virus'......it just works, keeps working and pleases me constantly. How many people on here are still running the same PC and internals from 8+ years ago ? Total expenditure over the last 8 years then on computer hardware....950 for the PB and another 9.99 for a Bluetooth dongle !
I am due an update but am waiting for the new OS and to see what sexy new stuff comes along with it. For domestic use I simply cannot even consider anything MS based as I frequently have to sit tight-lipped and smug as I hear friends divulging their tales of woe as they struggle with their PC's. They all know my stance and I avoid involvement these days and they prefer to continue with their struggle instead of simply trying something different, just in case it is any better. In these days of Intel and BootCamp (or Parallels) the reasons not to try the switch are all but gone with cost being the only prohibitive factor. Then again, a Mini is usually perfectly powerful enough for most domestic tasks and they start IRO 400 or so.
It's one of those arguement that neither side will ever win or loose. I've made my educated choice, and so have you. Our personal preferences differ and we both believe we are right. My Mac was a little pricey when I first get it, but its longevity and reliability have overcome that, and it's ability to just keep succeeding at everything I require of it without external support and its associated cost and hassle makes me 100% a Mac devotee. In my current workplace we run about 12 Dell PowerEdge servers requiring 24/7/52/365 technical support from remote sites dotted around the globe to keep in the working day, whereas the 16 Macs lined up alongside me have simply worked from the box for the last 6-8 years (a variety of G4's up to Quicksilvers) with no external intereference or cost. VFM, Hell yes.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 31 March 2007, 11:56 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

I agree with you Corradoboy nobody will win this arguement, The kit was designed for totally different purposes and each wins in its own way.

When it boils right down im a SUN man at heart its what I do for a living, I code, maintain and develop on SUN Solaris equipment. To me I cant think of a better OS for the mission critical work that I code for.

The symbol someone has on the lid on their laptop is their preference however, under the hood may lie the same internals for very different prices and thats what gets me. Why pay 1900 for something that can be got for 1200? Apple hardware is robust but when it goes wrong Apple have the monopoly on the spares meaning they cost a fortune. A mobo for a lampshade mac is ~£500 quid, for a dell desktop its ~£250 when outwith carepack/applecare limits.

I dont rate MS after pulling a stunt like Vista I want to see the *nix market shine - ive watched Linux in the last few years and believe that it may take over very quickly! The mac mini is a dark horse and I do see it taking over alot of the basic home tasks -it has a good OS so far, lets see what happens when people/agencies actually start working on Viri/spyware for macs. Things may pan out differently.
Old 01 April 2007, 09:26 AM
ROOBY_ROO
Scooby Regular

its all mumbo jumbo to me boys, i just wanna no frills laptop to get me on the net,
Old 01 April 2007, 09:36 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry think we got a little carried away!!!

heres a couple of options - basic but would do what you want.

EI 3090 - PCWorld
Dell Inspiron 1501 - Dell direct.

Hope these help!
Old 01 April 2007, 10:13 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

I bought this from comet a few weeks ago, its a lovely little laptop, vista is cool too

Comet - Computing - Laptops - HEWLETT PACKARD - 15" bright widescreen