Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone use pipex ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2007, 01:50 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use pipex ?

Im currently on AOL but after the carphone warehouse take over and their sketchy FUP im looking to change to a different ISP.

Pipex phoned me the other day, must have got my number from me doing a speed test on their site.

He talked me through a few of their packages which seemed quite reasonable.

I was originsally holding out to change to sky but looks like thats not going to be available in my area for a wile.

Anyway pipex mentioned their max package, which was upto 8mb connection, no download limits & phone calls included for around £30 a month.
He also mentioned that this would include my line rental, i cant see how thats posible though, my phoneline is though BT & i thought there was no way of getting around paying line rental. Cant seem to find this mentioned anywhere on the pipex site. Can anyone shed any light on this ?

If line rental is included it would work out around the same price as going through sky , changing everything to them like i had originally intended.

Does anyone have any experience with pipex good or bad ?

Or any recomendations for other unlinted ISPs.
Old 18 March 2007, 02:10 AM
ScoobyWRX300
Scooby Regular

I switched from TalkTalk to Pipex around August last year after getting p1ssed off with the useless customer service.

It sounds like I am on the package you described and it does include line rental - see bottom of link below for the package although I couldn't see the bit about line rental (ring them to confirm it's still included):

Cheap Broadband Provider, Cheap Telephone Calls and more - Pipex Homecall

I don't have any LLU in my local exchange so the cheap Sky offer isn't available.

Overall I am very happy with the Pipex service. I was surpirsed it does actually run at 8Mb most of the time although I think between the hours of 6 and 11pm it's more like 4Mb.
One draw back if you download a lot is if you do this between 6 & 11pm (peak time) you can get hit by their fair usage policy. If this happens you end up sharing a pipe with all the high usage users during this time and it can be really slow. This happened to me once but after a week they automatically review your usage and move you back to the faster pipe.
Old 18 March 2007, 02:36 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Thanks scooby.

Do you keep your same land line number when you switch to this ?

I do download a fair bit but mainly during the night so hopefully their FUP wont affect me.

Whats their customer service like ?, thing thats pushing me in their favour was it was a english bloke i spoke too.

Are all their call centres here ?, Cant be bothered with another ISP that rquires you to speak indian to get any help from customer suport.
Old 18 March 2007, 09:11 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'm with Pipex - have been a customer for the last few years.

Overall? Pretty happy with them.

Just ensure that they've sorted the Direct Debit thing out - had some grief where they didn't draw the funds from the bank for ages, and then threatened to cut my service off.

However, they sorted it and offered me some serious compensation, so I'm happy - the Customer Service is excellent.

I'm only on 2 Meg (free upgrade), but I'm looking to change to the 8 meg (whole thing).....

Reminds me, must give em a shout today!

Dan
Old 18 March 2007, 09:20 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

Im about to go to talk talk all uk calls free to landline up to 8meg bb line rental £20 cant be bad

They rent the line off bt at some silly low price
Old 18 March 2007, 12:49 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

You need to use RC4 enctyption to download torrents at anything higher than 30kb/s - be warned.

Once encryption policy is in place, you can get the full 8mb
Old 18 March 2007, 07:30 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

I've been with Pipex for nearly 3 years now. Got the 1meg connection. Never had an outage. Never needed to use their help line.

Performance at peak times (5pm-11pm) is slowly getting worse. For example I cant stream movie trailers for example or vids on youtube during this period. I need to pause them and let a buffer build up before i can watch them.

There is no download limit, however all my P2P traffic is capped at 20k max 24/7. If using torrents you can get round this limit however a few weeks ago even using this I was capped at 20k max for about 3 days. So i think they are trying out something new.

I'm thinking of moving to sky.

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2007, 11:59 PM
ScoobyWRX300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe

Do you keep your same land line number when you switch to this ?
Yes you do keep the same land line number and I think if you get a fault that requires an engineer they actually pass it to BT.
Old 19 March 2007, 10:47 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Col

There is no download limit, however all my P2P traffic is capped at 20k max 24/7. If using torrents you can get round this limit however a few weeks ago even using this I was capped at 20k max for about 3 days. So i think they are trying out something new.

I'm thinking of moving to sky.
Me too!!

though i was capped for more then a few days. Pissed me right off, I'm thinking of moving to someone else, maybe zen.