Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop going bonkers

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 07:13 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop going bonkers

I've just recieved an email off a mate with no particular title.
When I opened up the attatchment, it showed around 60-80 images that I have looked at recently, mainly consisting of houses, cars and parts etc.

How has my mate sent me the images that I have looked at, which I haven't saved?

My laptop then alerted me to an " urgent security threat " and seems to be struggling getting rid of the problem. WTF is going on
Old 07 March 2007, 07:19 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Microsoft is going on!! True to form!!

Seriously, get a Mac. You will never look back, you wont ever crash or have to worry bout these stupid security issues
Old 07 March 2007, 07:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Computer jagon
Old 07 March 2007, 07:29 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate. Basically Apple Macs dont crash or get viruses, just hassle free working/surfing/email etc.

You dont even need antivirus software.

I know that doesn't help you now, just thought i'd tell you
Old 07 March 2007, 07:39 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Sorry mate. Basically Apple Macs dont crash or get viruses, just hassle free working/surfing/email etc.

You dont even need antivirus software.
'First' Mac OS X Trojan sighted | The Register

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...-question.html
Old 07 March 2007, 07:59 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Has anybody any ideas/useful info. My Norton antivirus won't clear it.
Old 07 March 2007, 08:03 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ring mate and tell him to get round your house to sort it. If that doesn't work - save the attachment under another name and send it back to him from another email account and let him open the same thing

Trending Topics

Old 07 March 2007, 08:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Boot up into safe mode and run your AV and Anti Spyware software and see if it picks up anything and if so, let it fix it. Reboot, again into safe mode and run the AV and Anti Spyware software again, make sure it's all clean, then boot up normally and see if you still have a problem.

As for Mac's never crashing, sorry but that is total and utter crap. They *do* crash, wether it be a kernel panic which locks up the whole machine, usually displaying a multi-language alert telling you to use the power button to reboot, or from a specific application crashing, which should usually throw up a dialog asking if you wish to reopen the app, send the report to apple to cancel. These usually generate crash logs in /Library/Logs/Crash Reporter or ~/Library/Logs/Crash Reporter (depends on what crashed as to where the log goes).
Mac OS X typically handles crashes better than XP, but it by no means does not crash.

As for viruses, as far as I'm aware there aren't any true viruses for Mac OS X yet, certainly none that auto activate themselves as you'd see on a PC. A few have appeared and fool the user into running something which asks for a local admin name and password and then using privelege escalation they can run as root and therefore do whatever they want.
If you are foolish enough to enter the admin password for an unknown bit of software then you are asking for trouble, for example, one of the first alleged trojans was a jpeg file, which, when double-clicked (or if Safari was set to open "safe" files, which used to be the default setting, but I'm fairly sure it isn't these days) would ask for your admin password. There is no reason at all that opening a graphic file would do this.
I guess it's really down to user education, as maybe people don't realize that type of behaviour isn't normal.

I don't run AV software on my mac and thankfully corporate policy does not dictate I do, but I have, on occasion had to install AV software for testing purposes and found it to cause more problems than it addresses. The only reason, bar word macro viruses, for running AV on a Mac, at present, is to prevent you from accidentially sending a virus to a PC user.

When the day comes that we see viruses for the mac again, and it might well happen, then I may invest in an AV solution, until then, I'm not wasting my money.
Old 07 March 2007, 08:29 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Boot up into safe mode and run your AV and Anti Spyware software and see if it picks up anything and if so, let it fix it. Reboot, again into safe mode and run the AV and Anti Spyware software again, make sure it's all clean, then boot up normally and see if you still have a problem.

As for Mac's never crashing, sorry but that is total and utter crap. They *do* crash, wether it be a kernel panic which locks up the whole machine, usually displaying a multi-language alert telling you to use the power button to reboot, or from a specific application crashing, which should usually throw up a dialog asking if you wish to reopen the app, send the report to apple to cancel. These usually generate crash logs in /Library/Logs/Crash Reporter or ~/Library/Logs/Crash Reporter (depends on what crashed as to where the log goes).
Mac OS X typically handles crashes better than XP, but it by no means does not crash.

As for viruses, as far as I'm aware there aren't any true viruses for Mac OS X yet, certainly none that auto activate themselves as you'd see on a PC. A few have appeared and fool the user into running something which asks for a local admin name and password and then using privelege escalation they can run as root and therefore do whatever they want.
If you are foolish enough to enter the admin password for an unknown bit of software then you are asking for trouble, for example, one of the first alleged trojans was a jpeg file, which, when double-clicked (or if Safari was set to open "safe" files, which used to be the default setting, but I'm fairly sure it isn't these days) would ask for your admin password. There is no reason at all that opening a graphic file would do this.
I guess it's really down to user education, as maybe people don't realize that type of behaviour isn't normal.

I don't run AV software on my mac and thankfully corporate policy does not dictate I do, but I have, on occasion had to install AV software for testing purposes and found it to cause more problems than it addresses. The only reason, bar word macro viruses, for running AV on a Mac, at present, is to prevent you from accidentially sending a virus to a PC user.

When the day comes that we see viruses for the mac again, and it might well happen, then I may invest in an AV solution, until then, I'm not wasting my money.
I wish I could understand what you was talikng about.
Old 07 March 2007, 09:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The Mac bit wasn't aimed at you The first bit was. Turn on the machine and hit the F8 key and keep doing so, you should see a menu appear with an option about "Safe Mode", select that, let windows boot up. Then run Norton and any other Anti Spyware software you may have, see if it picks up and problems, if it does, let it fix them, reboot, go into safe mode again, run Norton again, just to make sure it's killed the nasty thing, then reboot normally.

Safe mode usually stops viruses and other things from running so you'll be able to kill them with norton. When booted normally you sometimes cannot remove viruses as they won't let you, hence the reason for going into safe mode to do it