Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ipod to itunes software question

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2007, 10:04 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ipod to itunes software question

I want to transfer the library that's on my ipod onto my new laptop.

What software is recommended by the SN massive
Old 03 March 2007, 11:54 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Anapod is very highly rated by my technical team at work - the best they've seen apparently. Cost you between $20 and $30, depending on the iPod model that you have. Worth every cent.

Chris
Old 03 March 2007, 12:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Or you could enable disk use, search and copy the files to your hard drive then import them. Bit trickier and if you **** it up you could lose the tracks on your iPod.
Old 03 March 2007, 01:31 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

Open the ipod and view hidden folders then in the music folder on the ipod drag and drop all the folders numberd 01-49 (on my one) in to your doc's folder then uninstall itunes and then reinstall it itunes will find all your music on your pc and job done
Old 03 March 2007, 03:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gotmashed
Open the ipod and view hidden folders then in the music folder on the ipod drag and drop all the folders numberd 01-49 (on my one) in to your doc's folder then uninstall itunes and then reinstall it itunes will find all your music on your pc and job done
Why do you need to uninstall iTunes? If it's to get iTunes to search for the music then go into iTunes' prefs > Advanced > General, and uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library" option (unless you want to duplicate the music you moved to the Documents folder). Then OK the prefs dialog and jump to the File menu and select "Add to Library" and go and select your Documents folder (or wherever you copied your music to) and iTunes will scan that folder and all sub-folders for music and add the information to the Library.
Old 04 March 2007, 04:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Markus
Why do you need to uninstall iTunes? If it's to get iTunes to search for the music then go into iTunes' prefs > Advanced > General, and uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library" option (unless you want to duplicate the music you moved to the Documents folder). Then OK the prefs dialog and jump to the File menu and select "Add to Library" and go and select your Documents folder (or wherever you copied your music to) and iTunes will scan that folder and all sub-folders for music and add the information to the Library.

Well I've just tried that Markus and it doesn't work

When I go to 'Add to Library' it won't let me select a folder, only individual files I'll be bolloxed if I'm adding over 4000 tunes manually like that
Old 04 March 2007, 09:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, Think I know what you need to do. Try the "Add folder To Library" option instead of the "Add File to Libray" option. I'm using a Mac and only have the "Add to Library" option which allows you to select either a file or a folder, but for some reason the PC version of iTunes has two commands to do the same thing. I've just tried the Add folder command and it does do exactly what it said it will, and if the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library" option isn't enabled then it will just add a reference to the music and not duplicate it, nor try and re-encode it, which I think the "Import" option will do.

Last edited by Markus; 04 March 2007 at 09:56 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2007, 01:12 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

That works Markus, thanks

I've left the copy files bit enabled, that way it will organise all the stuff in an order it's happy with. I can delete the new folder I created afterwards. Can't I?

I really need to spend more time figuring this new fangled computer stuff out I think
Old 05 March 2007, 03:31 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Chris L - does Anapod let you rename the files it brings across, to replicate the tracks (i.e. I normally copy the files across manually, as described, but it annoys me they've all got random 4 letter names - I like to sort my library myself rather than let iTunes do it).

Cheers

Gordo
Old 05 March 2007, 04:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
That works Markus, thanks

I've left the copy files bit enabled, that way it will organise all the stuff in an order it's happy with. I can delete the new folder I created afterwards. Can't I?

I really need to spend more time figuring this new fangled computer stuff out I think
Yes you can delete the folder where you originally had the music as it'll all be copied into the folder you have designated as the iTunes Library.

Good to know it's working for you.
Old 05 March 2007, 04:58 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know if this would be any good to you
SharePod