Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet connection slower than it should be

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2007, 12:26 PM
fritz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Internet connection slower than it should be

Moved house recently and have been connected now for about a week.

I am with Wanadoo/Orange and used to get speeds of 2.6-3.0mbps. Prior to moving I had a lot of problems with the connection dropping and phoning the helpline in India didn't really resolve it, so i will be looking for a change soon but i was waiting for the move to go through before doing this.

So the new connection pops up (bottom right of screen) at 7.6mbps everytime i connect. Something is not right though, websites that contain a number of images or just a busy screen take a while to load, its not back to the days of 56k but it doesn't feel quick.

I have run a some speed checks from different sites and they all come back with stats around the following:-

Speed Down235.36 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )Speed Up375.78 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )

I'm no expert but that looks pretty pants.

I've been on the phone to india and all they did was reset all of my internet settings and claimed it was ok.

Am i missing something here? Anyone have any further suggestions?
Old 28 February 2007, 12:44 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

I was happy on wanadoo for a long time then once they changed to orange - nothing but problems - I am now on tiscali
Old 28 February 2007, 12:57 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
I was happy on wanadoo for a long time then once they changed to orange - nothing but problems - I am now on tiscali
You've gone from bad to worse if you ask me.
Old 28 February 2007, 01:04 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

TBH ive had no issues as yet apart from when I upgraded to vista my modem didnt work (wasnt compatable) - they sorted it out within 2 days and i now have a spanking modem and all`s running fine.

like I said I was with wanadoo for a few years on 4mb with no probs then came orange nuff said

I am on tiscali 2mb unlimited - cannot fault them as yet
Old 28 February 2007, 01:21 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

When you're told you have N meg broadband, that's _only_ to the next hop on your route, your ISP, not to the entire Internet! There are so many bottlenecks along the way, bad routing, etc, that you will not be getting maximum transfer rates, probably ever actually.

You could have a terabit backbone going straight into your house, yet accessing some site might still be slow. Your broadband speed has almost no bearing on how fast you can download something in the real world.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:44 PM
fritz
Scooby Regular

Is it likely then that if all the equipment is ok that the connection i have now is the best it will be?

What about the speed test results? do they have any meaning?
Old 01 March 2007, 01:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
When you're told you have N meg broadband, that's _only_ to the next hop on your route, your ISP, not to the entire Internet! There are so many bottlenecks along the way, bad routing, etc, that you will not be getting maximum transfer rates, probably ever actually.

You could have a terabit backbone going straight into your house, yet accessing some site might still be slow. Your broadband speed has almost no bearing on how fast you can download something in the real world.
what a load of ****

The speed for most servers online will allow for people of T3 connections to get fun speed downloads so the average user will easily max of their connection.

Like of ADSL the noise and such on the line normally means a slight loss and cable downloads at full pelt from 99.999% of sites and servers
Old 01 March 2007, 01:10 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

The speed for most servers online will allow for people of T3 connections to get fun speed downloads so the average user will easily max of their connection.
they are not going through the same kit people with home internet connections have to go through are they, exchange congestion and the like as mentioned does affect the connection speed

e.g backbone from the exchange, then backbone the ISP has (IIRC 155 M/bit or 622M/bit Depending on ISP)
Old 01 March 2007, 01:11 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

what a load of ****
You are utterly, utterly clueless.
Old 01 March 2007, 01:15 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Moved house recently and have been connected now for about a week.
It can take 10-12 days for a new connection to sort it's self out. It's probabily going through a process of adjusting to so you get the best average throughput without losing packets.
Old 01 March 2007, 01:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

You are utterly, utterly clueless.

I have never, EVER not had full connection speed as advertised by my ISP, nor have I EVER seen anyone with less than full speed unless there is an Issue with their PC or a known problem on the network and that comes from working for an ISP and have 20 people complain of slow speeds a day

Given there are many factors that effect speed, but to dismiss someones slow speeds based on you can never achieve full speed is rubbish
Old 01 March 2007, 01:17 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I have never, EVER not had full connection speed as advertised by my ISP, nor have I EVER seen anyone with less than full speed unless there is an Issue with their PC or a known problem on the network and that comes from working for an ISP and have 20 people complain of slow speeds a day
pimmo are you talking about sync rate here???
Old 01 March 2007, 01:20 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Then you don't understand the basic principles of networking, routing, bandwidth, concurrency, etc. Stick to pointing people to Tools -> Internet options. You are not the only person here to have worked for an ISP.

Steve (ex DKnet/TeleDanmark Internet, RedNet), CCNA
Old 01 March 2007, 01:20 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
pimmo are you talking about sync rate here???

Based on the problem, I would be looking into an issue with either his computer or a problem on the network. If the web sites are running slow and not just one site, all sites or most there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Ok if he was getting 20kb less than he should you could put it down to routing issues, but slow browsing that probably uses **** all bandwith I would keep at the ISP
Old 01 March 2007, 01:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Then you don't understand the basic principles of networking, routing, bandwidth, concurrency, etc. Stick to pointing people to Tools -> Internet options. You are not the only person here to have worked for an ISP.

Steve (ex DKnet/TeleDanmark Internet, RedNet), CCNA

Based on the problem, I would be looking into an issue with either his computer or a problem on the network. If the web sites are running slow and not just one site, all sites or most there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Ok if he was getting 20kb less than he should you could put it down to routing issues, but slow browsing that probably uses **** all bandwith I would keep at the ISP
Old 01 March 2007, 01:23 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

no not to do with the original post, i meant the full connection speed as advertised by your ISP
Old 01 March 2007, 01:23 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

To answer your question I would keep on at you ISP to find the problem!

They can monitor your traffic and tell you if its spyware etc !! Stupid bloody Indian Call centres
Old 01 March 2007, 01:26 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Based on the problem, I would be looking into an issue with either his computer or a problem on the network. If the web sites are running slow and not just one site, all sites or most there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Ok if he was getting 20kb less than he should you could put it down to network issues, but slow browsing that probably uses **** all bandwith I would keep at the ISP
It doesn't have much bearing on the end-users PC or BB connection. As a rough example:

CarNet has an arbitrary figure of 1000 concurrent users.

1000 people with 2Mbit broadband expecting to get full speed downloads from CarNet at once.

CarNet has (another arbitrary made-up number) 6Mbit link, burstable but on average 6Mbit.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Bandwidth isn't constant.
Old 01 March 2007, 01:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
no not to do with the original post, i meant the full connection speed as advertised by your ISP

My ISP, ok my previous ISP told me I had a 7mb connection. Or 7 Megabit (I believe) and my max download rate was 715kb per second, pardon the lack of capitals with the Kb KB and all that I'm no expert. Which is barely under, yes ?

I have to do download tests and given I am a monkey trained to do the same thing over and over, but if anyone does not get their max ie close to 1024Kb for a 10mb connection I would raise the issue and troubleshoot until they did or I find out why and report it to our networks team.

Maybe Total **** was a bit OTT but I have a huge issue with people dismissing other peoples internet speed issues, as a lot of the people at Virgin do just that... you pay for your connection, you expect it
Old 01 March 2007, 01:30 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

the line will take a while to adapt as already mentioned,

the IP profile may be stuck

::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::

get the stats from your router here, may see if the line is causing problems

congestion may also be an issue here mind you
Old 01 March 2007, 01:32 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

It doesn't have much bearing on the end-users PC or BB connection. As a rough example:

CarNet has an arbitrary figure of 1000 concurrent users.

1000 people with 2Mbit broadband expecting to get full speed downloads from CarNet at once.

CarNet has (another arbitrary made-up number) 6Mbit link, burstable but on average 6Mbit.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Bandwidth isn't constant.
Oh I agree completely, but its not the users issue, its the ISP and if the user is getting slow speeds the ISP needs to resolve the issue, either by moving the customer to another channel or upgrading the UBR, I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for
Old 04 March 2007, 10:52 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

pimmo do you work for virgin media? If so is there any chance you can help me to achieve exactly what your saying. I have a stupidly slow connection and they have at last admitted there is a problem with the network but seem to be doing nothing about it! Any help would be appreciated.. sorry to hijack!!
Old 04 March 2007, 11:14 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

join the club my friend.

Orange in my opinion at the moment is utter crap.

since they upgraded our exchange on 18th Jan it has been unreliable, slow and response from their technical support is alway "call back in 48hrs and it'll be fixed by then" .. but never is!
Old 05 March 2007, 12:32 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_classicwrx
pimmo do you work for virgin media? If so is there any chance you can help me to achieve exactly what your saying. I have a stupidly slow connection and they have at last admitted there is a problem with the network but seem to be doing nothing about it! Any help would be appreciated.. sorry to hijack!!
Of course mate, I'm actually off for a few days, wont say how many in case they actually montior this site ... but I've replied to your PM

I hate it when people dont get the full connection they pay for