Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

CD wont play?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2007, 01:20 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD wont play?? Help

I have a Program (photoshop) on either a CD-R or CD-RW unsure which as the face of the CD is blank. Its a copy

Now, i used to have this installed and working on my desktop pc around a year ago using the copy mentioned. It was removed by doing a complete system restore as my PC was behaving oddly, must of had a virus.

I never though about re installing it until now, (because i need to use it) So i stuff it in the drive and nothing happens. The D drive shows nothing as if it cant see a cd in there. Strange i thought... CD drive must be busted!! so i dug out another CD, this time its one of the CD's that had Pics, files and Mpegs which i wanted to keep before doing the system restore. Yip it works fine as does the numerious other cd's i tried after it.

I've tried instering and removing the photoshop cd a dozen times now and it just wont work.

I took out the work laptop, tried it in that and its perfect, works first time.

why wont it work in my desktop then??

Rob
Old 17 February 2007, 01:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Perhaps your drive cannot read the type of CD it is? On the disc does it say CR-R or CD-RW or something else? Try and find another disc with the same markings and see if that works in your drive.

If it's a very old cd drive then it's possible it might not be able to read the cd, but that would usually be pretty rare.

Are you sure it's not a DVD rather than a CD? If it was then it could be your machine only has a CD-ROM drive, and thus won't read the DVD, whereas your work laptop could have a DVD-ROM drive which would explain why it could read the DVD.
Old 17 February 2007, 01:56 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Perhaps your drive cannot read the type of CD it is? On the disc does it say CR-R or CD-RW or something else? Try and find another disc with the same markings and see if that works in your drive.
Thanks for the reply, as said in first post tho the CD does not have any markings saying CD-R or CD-RW, all it says around the inner ring is "recordable media - discrite white 80min / 700MB"

Originally Posted by Markus
If it's a very old cd drive then it's possible it might not be able to read the cd, but that would usually be pretty rare.

Are you sure it's not a DVD rather than a CD? If it was then it could be your machine only has a CD-ROM drive, and thus won't read the DVD, whereas your work laptop could have a DVD-ROM drive which would explain why it could read the DVD.
Again as said this CD was used in this descktop pc to install the program originally before it was removed due to the system restore. The PC i have is just over 2 years old now and it has a DVD R/RW drive. The drive in my work laptop is a read only DVD drive.

Cheers
Rob
Old 17 February 2007, 02:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your desktop pc's drive is just having trouble reading that cdr thats all. All you can do is clean it. Or make a copy of it on the laptop and copy the files over your lan? If you can do that then burn it to a new CDR on your desktop.