Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Pointing Domain Name to my Tiscali Webspace

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 08:37 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pointing Domain Name to my Tiscali Webspace

I have just registered a new domain name and want to use my available webspace that comes free with my Tiscali Broadband as the host.

How do I do this ?

I have tried changing the Nameserver with UKReg who i registered the domain name with, but all I seem to of done is make my domain name an unrecognised URL (before it went to a UK-Reg 'name registered with them page).

domain name is : www.polarperformance.co.uk

Tiscali website is : PolarPerformance

apologies for the naff website but it's just a noddy knockup to get things going.

cheers for your help....
Old 16 February 2007, 02:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott.T
I have just registered a new domain name and want to use my available webspace that comes free with my Tiscali Broadband as the host.

How do I do this ?

I have tried changing the Nameserver with UKReg who i registered the domain name with, but all I seem to of done is make my domain name an unrecognised URL (before it went to a UK-Reg 'name registered with them page).

domain name is : www.polarperformance.co.uk

Tiscali website is : PolarPerformance

apologies for the naff website but it's just a noddy knockup to get things going.

cheers for your help....
Firstly your web looks all messed up in firefox,

The domain company your with will be able to set the forwarding for you, the nameservers should be supplied by your ISP

Leave this with me, I'll be going to work soon (ISP) and I'll find out for sure for you
Old 16 February 2007, 07:52 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

cheers mate...I'll wait for your input.
website is only a quick open source rip, uploaded from Frontpage
Old 16 February 2007, 08:04 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use this to check

DNS Quick Check - DNS Report Tool, Test your DNS delegation, DNS Servers, Mail and Web Servers, Network Admins, Webmasters, Hosting
Old 16 February 2007, 08:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its a re-direct service, in your control pannel on the domain server
Old 18 February 2007, 10:06 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

UKReg give me the ability to point my domain name to a name server, but I don;t know what to enter to point to my tiscali webspace. whatever I enter appears to do nothing.
Old 20 February 2007, 09:30 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

point it to the index page?
Old 20 February 2007, 10:01 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Think of a domain name as a signpost.

Your signpost has to register itself on the internet so that anyone looking for your website or email server knows where to look.

Therefore when you register a domain it will be on your registras
Domain Name Servers (DNS). You should not generally need to change this.

You can usually change the following (elements of your signpost) on your domain hosts DNS servers.

You can create three different parts to your sign post. A records are IP addresses, CNAMES are aliases to either A records or other CNAMES and must be fully qualified which means the end with a . (very important)
MX records are names.

An A record will point to the IP address of your webserver (usually)
This will allow you go set up your domain so that people can go to http://yourdomain.com

WWW is a CNAME that tells 'the internet' where to go if anyone types in www.yourdomain.com, usually this points to the IP address of your webserver (but can be a name) You do not need the www record but obviously everyone uses them and it is now 'standard'.

The MX records are signposts that tell the internet where to go to deliver mail. Generally you will have 2 or 3 or more MX records and they will be names of servers. When someone is sending you mail, their mail server uses their DNS servers to look up your domain, obtain the MX records and try each of them in order of priority to try and deliver your email to that server.

Once you have your 'sign post' (domain) set up so that www points to a web server you then need to tell that server to respond to that request.
This is where you can set it up so that both http://yourdomain.com and http://www.yourdomain.com work. This must be done on the webserver itself.

The way these cheap domain places work is they allow you to 'cloak' the domain, sometimes it is done using frames which isnt great.

What this means is the DNS record is setup so that the www record points to one of their webservers.
You then configure their webserver and tell it what the real website address is and it 'fakes' it the the end user.

Scott - "KReg give me the ability to point my domain name to a name server" You don't want to do this unless you have access to DNS servers elsewhere and can set up the records your self which it doesn't sound like you really want to do. Ignore this.

You cant do anything within a DNS record to point one site at another UNLESS the destination site has been set up correctly and even then all you can do is tell it what IP address to go to.
To do what you are trying to do needs another webserver in between.

I hope this has confused everyone... lol

Last edited by RichB; 20 February 2007 at 10:09 AM.