Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win2k Server > Win2k3 Server - painless upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2007, 10:10 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Win2k Server > Win2k3 Server - painless upgrade?

We have an ageing primary domain controller which, on the advice of the scoobynet cognetti, suggest I should upgrade to Win2k Server to Win2k3

As stated, this server is the primary domain controller, as well as DNS and DHCP server on the domain.

Eventually I'll use a new machine to create a backup domain server off this upgraded server, then retire this one.

Will it be a painless upgrade to Win2k3 Server or is there anything I need to be aware of?

Or, is it better to just start with a new computer and install Win2k3 Server ? Can I just disconnect the old server and connect the new one ? Will the workstations see and use this new PDC straight away (I'll use the same NETBIOS and DOMAIN name as the old one)

Last edited by spectrum48k; 14 February 2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 15 February 2007, 12:55 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Is this the only DC you have?

Personally I would go with the latter option and build a new w2k3 server. Add the new server to the domain as a member server. adprep the domain/forest to extend the AD schema. DCPROMO it and move the FSMO roles...

One sec, there is a lot more to it than that!

Try this for some info.

Be 100% sure what you do here, it can all go terrible wrong!!

I've only ever done this twice a long time ago so I may have some things wrong....

ps. stop calling it a pdc
Old 15 February 2007, 03:12 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Do not try to so an in place upgrade on the existing PDC, especially if it's the only DC, it could be disastrous.

Do the introduce and upgrade method.

One of the biggest things to trip people up in this situation is they start the upgrade process, the server reboots and then blue screens because of driver issues on old hardware and W2K3.

Ignore the post above, it's not correct. You can't DCPROMO a member W2K3 server in an NT4 domain.

Introduce a new server as an NT4 BDC, promote this to PDC and demote the original PDC to BDC, then upgrade the new server you introduced.

You can also practice on the new server to make sure the process goes smoothly and you are not tripped up by any driver issues.

Windows Server 2003 Upgrade Assistance Center

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 15 February 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 15 February 2007, 03:16 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

How many users do you have?

If less than 30
>
A third option would be to run two domains and migrate the users over 1 by 1.

As the above said - do not do an in place upgrade.
Old 15 February 2007, 03:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Make sure you plan the whole thing properly too, this includes DNS which can cause the most problems. Disjoint DNS namespaces are one problem that you have to watch oiut for.
Old 15 February 2007, 03:23 PM
arnie68
Scooby Newbie

Are you using Active Directory (AD) or are you still one the old Domain model.

Always best whichever you're using to build a new server, using the old method make it a BDC then once it's in place and working fine promote it to the PDC, take the old one down and your fine. If you are using AD then do as stated above i.e make it a member server and promote it.

I would never upgrade the only Domain Controller on the fly as this could cause you major problems.

BTW it's fine to refer to it as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) if you're not running AD
Old 15 February 2007, 05:36 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Some great advice - thanks you all very much for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

The old existing server was previously upgraded from NT4 Server, and I think it has a lot of 'issues' - nothing thats stops it working mostly fine every day. Its because of these issues I'd LOVE to do a clean Win2k3 install on a new server. Ideally here's what I *would've* done before I got the advice from you guys...

1. I would've upgraded the existing DC (Win2kServer) to Win2k3
2. Then I'd clean install a new Win2k3 machine and make it a BDC
3. Retire the old DC
4. Promote the BDC to DC

The LAN only has 20 users at present. The existing DC handles AD, DNS, DHCP and SMTP.

Question:
What if I find a spare machine (#2) and make it a BDC to the existing DC (#1).
Then I could upgrade the DC (#1) to Win2k3, safe in the knowledge that if I f*cked up, I'd have the BDC (#2) to fallback on?
If the upgrade went well I could use the brand new machine (#3) to do a clean Win2k3 install and make it a BDC to the newly upgraded Win2k3 box (#1).
Finally retire the DC (#1) and promote the BDC (#3)

Question2:
What exactly gets carried over from the DC when you make something a BDC ?

Last edited by spectrum48k; 15 February 2007 at 05:50 PM.