Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wanted - a WORKING anti-virus solution for OSX

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2007, 08:42 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wanted - a WORKING anti-virus solution for OSX

Just got Norton AV 10 for our Macs at work. Thought I'd try it out on my MacBook Pro first.........

OMG !!! What a pile of sh1te

My computer slowed right down to being almost unusable........

I've taken it off now and all is well, but I'm now concerned that if I put this on my Macs at work, the whole system will be rendered the same......

Quite anmoyed really. Norton used to be good.

Any other suggestions?

We're only using AV because of the IT policy - we share a network with PCs and can't have them getting infected, even if the Macs dont (caveat - YET!)

Dan
Old 21 January 2007, 10:29 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Can't you just have it installed but switch it off
It's not like you need it...
Old 21 January 2007, 02:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Dan,
Have a look at clamxav. It's a gui for clamav which is meant to be a pretty good, low impact AV setup. Pretty sure it's open source and thus free.

Don't think of trying VirusScan (what used to be calld virex), it's just as bad as Norton. I've had and "interesting" week with our development team working out why it's doing monumentally stupid things in the most bizzare places (causes a complete slowdown of the machine when you try and authorise an eUpdate schedule).

Good point from Rich about it being installed but turned off The only reason I can currently see for having any kind of AV on the mac is to prevent sending on viruses to PC's. Even if you are using BootCamp then you cannot infect it from the Mac side unless you actively copy items onto the partition, and you'd need to be using FAT32 to do that anyway as NTFS mounts as read-only.
Only other reason would be work macro viruses, which can be a bit of a problem, but it's not insurmountable.
Old 21 January 2007, 06:36 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

I run V 9 on my Mac and dont seem to have any problems with it...
Old 21 January 2007, 07:34 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

norton is pants..yuk!!

have you tried sophos yet??
Old 21 January 2007, 07:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not fully up to speed on mixed networks, but the PC's should be running their own protection. The Macs don't need anything (yet) other than restricting full admin priviledges to the general users. Even if the Mac transmits something through the network the PC's should pick it up themselves, but with install capabilities removed from the general users you should be safe anyway.
Old 21 January 2007, 08:19 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Got to have AV on my machine (SOX requirement) and we are bound to using Symantec good as well. My Macbook Pro has now become as slow as my old IBM Thinkpad!

Might give clam a go, using it on a couple of Redhat servers at work and seems ok
Old 21 January 2007, 08:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

This is what annoys me about IT policies. Most of them seem to never look into the fact that at present mac's don't really need an AV solution, that it's mainly just scaremongering or this bloody SOX thing (don't get me started on the 802.1n thing that you have to pay for because of SOX, grrrr). If the PC's are protected then even if you send them a virus from a Mac they should be able to deal with it.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:58 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
This is what annoys me about IT policies. Most of them seem to never look into the fact that at present mac's don't really need an AV solution, that it's mainly just scaremongering or this bloody SOX thing (don't get me started on the 802.1n thing that you have to pay for because of SOX, grrrr). If the PC's are protected then even if you send them a virus from a Mac they should be able to deal with it.
AV on your incoming mail, servers and desktops. All mail based ones are caught, items saved on file servers are caught, and anything on USB/CD etc is also caught.

SOX i love it, we look after 3 different sites and have to do SOX for all of them! Joy is not a word used in the same sentence!
Old 21 January 2007, 10:01 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

I use AVG myself.
Free and easy.
Old 22 January 2007, 07:51 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Nice one chaps

Yeh, the 500-odd PCs have AV anyway, but because we're pretty much left to our own devices, IT want us AV'd up Perhaps they don't have much faith in their PC AV setup

I know the whole arguement about the pros/cons of OSX AV, and I isemi buy into it (as long as someone else is footing the bill! )

Dan

Oh yeh, AVG - whilst pretty god ( & free!), not Mac native yet
Old 22 January 2007, 07:53 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Norton is pants. If my clients was AV then Intego Virus Barrier is what I'll sell them.