Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360 v2 on the horizon

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2007, 02:54 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox 360 v2 on the horizon

Just to add further to the Xbox360 vs PS3 debate, the v2 Xbox with HDMI support, full 1080p support and a 120Gb hardisk is approaching.

The second Xbox 360 revealed: codename Zephyr - Engadget

Old 07 January 2007, 06:03 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I cancelled my order for the HD-DVD drive for this reason. Hopefully it will come as standard too.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:11 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

At least there will be a clear way to identify it then rather than just guessing if the batch has the cost-reduced chips inside

Will be interested in reading the reviews and longevity of this new beast when it's officially released and then maybe I'll stump up the cash for one.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:44 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

pah .... who needs HDMI,

means a new projector for me so I'll stick with the one I have until it blinks it's red eyes at me.
Old 07 January 2007, 08:33 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

RB5, you've made me wonder about something... if the V2 machine is to replace the V1 machine, do you get one 'for free' if your existing one turns into a brick due to the wonderful build quality? Could be a nice free upgrade for some people
Old 07 January 2007, 09:18 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I cancelled my order for the HD-DVD drive for this reason. Hopefully it will come as standard too.
There's a link saying this won't be so in one of the threads, basically they don't want to charge people for something they might not want, and also due to the fact it could be the next Beatmax.
Old 07 January 2007, 09:26 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miles
Just to add further to the Xbox360 vs PS3 debate, the v2 Xbox with HDMI support, full 1080p support and a 120Gb hardisk is approaching.

The second Xbox 360 revealed: codename Zephyr - Engadget

Saw the pictures of this the other day someone posted the link i believe in the same thread as i mentioned above.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2007, 09:55 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Released at the same price?
Hmmm I can see why they would but as a launch day owner I'm a bit pee'd off at the v2 being released with features that should have been on it from the start.
However.... having been a launch day owner of the Xbox, MS looked after us pretty well when they reduced the price of the machine after a year so there's always hope we won't be left out completely...
I still don't think they'll be putting the HD-DVD in it though.
Old 07 January 2007, 10:09 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Also all the people buying the v1 now are going to be a pee'd off when they find out about this v2 coming out soon for the same price.

I think that's why you will see this V2 in stores within the next couple of weeks or sales will fall off very sharply
Old 07 January 2007, 11:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Also all the people buying the v1 now are going to be a pee'd off when they find out about this v2 coming out soon for the same price.
Yes, like me

Only bought my V1 on 23rd Dec, so i'll be annoyed if this comes out soon!! Wonder if I can return my system to Gamestation
Old 07 January 2007, 11:21 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic

none of the new features interest me in the slightlest, i'd have to buy a new TV & surround amp to make use of the HDMI/1080p and 120gb for what exactly?
Old 07 January 2007, 11:40 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Microsoft have stated that whatever happens with 360 - it will never have an internal HD-DVD..........
Old 07 January 2007, 11:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4
and 120gb for what exactly?
Xbox live video marketplace. You'll be able to download tv shows etc soon (it's already running in the USA) and the 20gb HD just isn't big enough...

p.s. I shouldn't panic just yet. This is all just internet rumour at the moment. MS haven't announced anything at all yet...
Old 07 January 2007, 11:42 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Microsoft have stated that whatever happens with 360 - it will never have an internal HD-DVD..........

Very true. According to a recent MS interview, it will always be an optional extra. That way you are not forced into buying something that you don't actually want / need.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:54 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Yes, like me

Only bought my V1 on 23rd Dec, so i'll be annoyed if this comes out soon!! Wonder if I can return my system to Gamestation
Or, read the Xbox news sites and flog it in the local small ads newspaper a week before the v2 model comes out!
Old 08 January 2007, 09:41 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

It will never have an internal HD-DVD drive as standard, worded my first post wrong. My point being that if you're going to have an all singing, all dancing HDMI/120Gb version, why not offer an edition with HD-DVD built in ?
Old 08 January 2007, 09:49 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

heard the news on the radio this morning about the streaming video, some Las Vegas show on at the moment so might hear a bit more about this week
Old 08 January 2007, 09:50 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i rashly(ok not really rash as its taken me a year) went out and bought last week. how much was it on release, i dont think its come down at all? so the people who bought one for this christmas are going to be more rightly pissed off than those buying last christmas. I dont have any fancy HD stuff so its not relevant to me just now but i am mildly cheesed of having to second guess the rumors and MS/Sony's tactical marketing and you cant spend your life waiting or in fact constantly upgrading - ive given up on the far too short a life span of pc
Old 08 January 2007, 09:52 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by flat4
heard the news on the radio this morning about the streaming video, some Las Vegas show on at the moment so might hear a bit more about this week

Xbox 360 and Microsoft TV: Together Expanding the World of Games and Entertainment
In a move that will combine the power of Xbox 360 with Microsoft TV IPTV Edition, Bach provided an early look at a new service, IPTV on Xbox 360. The offering is expected to deliver world-class TV experiences such as digital video recording capabilities, with gaming, movie viewing, and even voice and video communications. Tapping into an expanded set of entertainment experiences, users will be able to watch their favorite sporting event live while chatting with their friends, for example, or participate in a match on Xbox Live® while they record a TV program in the background. IPTV on Xbox 360 is expected to be available to consumers by holiday season 2007 and will be offered by providers that are deploying TV services based on the Microsoft TV IPTV Edition software platform.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates talks about the home of the future at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show, Las Vegas, Jan. 7, 2007. Click for high-res version.
“Our goal is to make entertainment more personal, more interactive and more social,” Bach said. “IPTV on Xbox 360 and Xbox Live are powerful examples of ways we are bringing together the worlds of gaming, TV viewing and community to make it easy for people to access and discover their favorite content and share their personal experiences with the communities they are part of.”
Microsoft TV IPTV Edition continues to strengthen its position in the market with deployments under way with five of the world’s largest service providers and trials with 11 additional companies, representing a footprint across 14 countries on four continents.
Here's the MS press release:

Microsoft Unveils Wave of New Products and Services at CES: Bill Gates and Robbie Bach hit play on new releases from Windows Vista, Xbox 360, Microsoft TV and more.

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 08 January 2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08 January 2007, 10:04 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
It will never have an internal HD-DVD drive as standard, worded my first post wrong. My point being that if you're going to have an all singing, all dancing HDMI/120Gb version, why not offer an edition with HD-DVD built in ?

Probably because it would cost a lot to do (production lines would have to be changed etc), and it would push up the price of the console reducing the number you are likely to sell. Realistically you'd need either all of them to have it, or none of them...

Not sure what the fuss is about anyway. There's hardly any dvds available at the moment, and nobody knows which format will win the war. Personally, if I was going to get a HD dvd player now, I'd get a standalone unit which could play both formats rather than play them through a games console.
Old 08 January 2007, 10:05 AM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

that's one hell of a broadband comnnection we'll need, not sure my 4mb is up to all that
Old 08 January 2007, 10:20 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

more interested in how much that 120Gb is going to cost and how youll attach it while still using the 20gb & all the content youve downloaded.