Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Just got my Be internet

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 12:08 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just got my Be internet

Right well first impressions are quite good, the DNS lookup is much, much faster than Freeola and although I can only get around 7mb download speed... kinda expected that I'm ok with it.

One issue is the "Be box" router.. its a little hard to understand and for some reason you dont put in your username and password to make it connect... I cant find it anyway on the thing...

Anyway will keep you informed
Old 05 January 2007, 12:10 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

and how do I test to see if my line is now ADSL 2 ?? cause there has been no increase in speed at all
Old 05 January 2007, 12:15 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you testing the speed of your DNS lookups? Are you sure you know what that is?
Old 05 January 2007, 12:45 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::

pimmo I think they are Thompson routers rebadged if so the above link may help in getting your line stats from it
Old 05 January 2007, 12:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
How are you testing the speed of your DNS lookups? Are you sure you know what that is?

DNS is the service that tranlates IP to domain name. The time a page takes to be found once the address is typed in !

Its faster
Old 05 January 2007, 12:55 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

DNS is the service that tranlates IP to domain name. The time a page takes to be found once the address is typed in !

Its faster
You're half right, but it isn't the time a page takes to be found, it's the time it takes to translate from name to IP. I doubt you notice the speed of DNS lookup because it's pretty much milliseconds 99% of the time which is the only reason I asked
Old 05 January 2007, 01:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
You're half right, but it isn't the time a page takes to be found, it's the time it takes to translate from name to IP. I doubt you notice the speed of DNS lookup because it's pretty much milliseconds 99% of the time which is the only reason I asked
I'm not arguing with you, the DNS look up on my previous ISP was slow and now its fast.

I'm 100% right as the point of DNS is to match the page to the IP thus find the page!!

So I type in a web address DNS runs off with it converts it to numbers (just making sure you know what an IP address is) grabs the page and there we have it !

Ah I may just have realised what you've done wrong !! See the full stop after my description of DNS ! Means end of sentence !

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2007, 01:11 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I'm not arguing with you, the DNS look up on my previous ISP was slow and now its fast.

I'm 100% right as the point of DNS is to match the page to the IP thus find the page!!

So I type in a web address DNS runs off with it converts it to numbers (just making sure you know what an IP address is) grabs the page and there we have it !

Ah I may just have realised what you've done wrong !! See the full stop after my description of DNS ! Means end of sentence !
I'm not arguing either, just correcting a very minor point:

When you make the DNS lookup, that's a UDP request to a machine on your peer's network, so that's pretty damn fast - blink of an eye fast. What happens next is quite a lot heavier, your browser makes a TCP connection to the server with the IP address returned by your resolver, and that's where things can be slow and change a lot depending on ISP.

You're not 100% right, perhaps 50% right, because DNS has nothing to do with web sites or pages at all.
Old 05 January 2007, 01:17 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Yeah, pimmo you're slightly incorrect in saying this: "So I type in a web address DNS runs off with it converts it to numbers (just making sure you know what an IP address is) grabs the page and there we have it !"

cottonfoo has it nailed....
Old 05 January 2007, 01:18 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I’ve used UKonline at home for nearly 3 years. Its never given me trouble. However, starting in March I switched to freeola and the time it takes to resolve a URL to an IP suddenly increased from unnoticable levels to 10 seconds or more. Sometimes my browser gives up.

I'm really not going to go on about this anymore other than to say its find now with Be
Old 05 January 2007, 01:20 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
Yeah, pimmo you're slightly incorrect in saying this: "So I type in a web address DNS runs off with it converts it to numbers (just making sure you know what an IP address is) grabs the page and there we have it !"

cottonfoo has it nailed....
*sigh*

DNS converts name to numbers... ok so it doesn't physically get up and run anywhere if thats whats bothering you about this
Old 05 January 2007, 02:48 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

slightly back on topic the router is a rebadged modem
check out The Unofficial Be Users Forum

loads of info there, also download the dmt tool, it will allow you to tweak your snr to increase speed etc