Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Be There 24mb just ordered...

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 04:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be There 24mb just ordered...

Hello

As my exchange (Crowborough) has just gone live. I'll report back when it becomes active in a few weeks.

Steve
Old 28 December 2006, 04:42 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Does it require a special ADSL modem?
Old 28 December 2006, 05:11 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
Does it require a special ADSL modem?
It requires an ADSL2+ compatible modem, although they give you one as part of the deal.

Steve
Old 28 December 2006, 07:32 PM
auto scooby
Scooby Regular

As a matter of interest what is the monthly cost.
Old 28 December 2006, 08:12 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

be-broadband.info

Old 28 December 2006, 08:30 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Thinking of going with this after seeing posts on here. I am currently with Nildram ADSl max at the moment and paying the same amount as what be's 24mb package is.
Did you go for the extra e-mail package that I think is an extra £2 a month?
Old 28 December 2006, 09:18 PM
malc_gsi
Scooby Regular

Just a warning about Be to bear in mind, they block port 25 for outgoing mail unless you sign up for their static IP package at an extra £4 per month.

My outlook email stopped working and I didnt have a clue why, until I searched their member forums and discovered they did it without telling any of their members!

Alternatively, this was posted on the support forum after people started kicking off

Members,

The blocking of Port 25 for dynamic customers has been planned from the launch of Be in order to protect all of our members from having communication disruption on account of Be’s IP range being blacklisted on account of actions by individuals who are considered spammers by other parties. We have communicated this change through multiple channels, including our newsletters, emails, and forum postings. Any inconvenience caused by those communications not reaching an individual member we sincerely regret.

As always, we are always interested in providing the best overall service for all our members and are happy to investigate other options that are efficient and effective. In order to ensure that we take everyone’s interest and requirements into consideration, we welcome any input that you may have regarding your perspective on Port 25 and spam blocking. Please forward your comments to Louise.kirlew@beunlimited.co.uk by 15th DEC 06.

In the meantime, we will continue with our current policy as it protects all our members while requiring a reasonable work around for a small handful. Should you have any specific complaint or inconvenience please create an support ticket and we will respond promptly.

Thanks for your continued support,

Regards,

Brett

Other than that, i'm more than happy with the quality and speed of it (less than 500m from the exchange too )

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2006, 01:04 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

many ISP's are strict with this port and will only allow it to their IP range. Zen only allow it to their mailservers, they will relay it mind, keeps more control over it I suppose. Some mail servers i.e. Yahoo have an alternative port that you can use SMTP over

Last edited by mike1210; 29 December 2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 29 December 2006, 11:09 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Have to say be did tell people about port 25

A month ago I got an email asking opinions

and this was in the last newsletter - so they did inform?

did not worry me as I always request a static IP -- at least they can track any spammers

Dave

Port 25

For some time now, we have been looking into the best
policy for reducing spam on the network. As a result we have
made a decision to block port 25 for dynamic members. By
doing this we will eliminate the blacklisting that can occur
if members purposefully or inadvertently spam from our
dynamic IP range. Our SMTP server has been upgraded
and can be used to send outgoing mail. If you need port
25 unblocked, you will need to buy a static IP from us for £4
per month. Office members get static IP for free and Be lite
members will need to change to Be unlimited in order to get
static IP. Please call our member centre if you would like any
product changes applied to your account.
If you need more info on how to use our SMTP server or on
how to set this up, please contact our member centre.

downloading I see 8mb with multiconnections

Last edited by DemonDave; 29 December 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 29 December 2006, 07:54 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do u do about mail if you dont get a static IP then? Limited to using webmail? or Gmail?
Old 29 December 2006, 07:56 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
What do u do about mail if you dont get a static IP then? Limited to using webmail? or Gmail?
This is about hosting your own mail server. If you have a domain that has a mail account associated with it that is unaffected.

Steve
Old 29 December 2006, 08:12 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh right, sorry.
Old 30 December 2006, 12:27 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
This is about hosting your own mail server. If you have a domain that has a mail account associated with it that is unaffected.

Steve
Steve

It is not about hosting your own mail server - outlook and other mail programs use port 25 to access mail servers, yahoo for example. Yahoo has provided an alternative

(If your ISP blocks port 25 or if you're unable to send email, then you will need to use port 587 when sending via Yahoo!'s SMTP server. To make this change, please follow the directions below: )

so you either use a different port, use a mail forwarder or there are a couple of alternatives. A static IP has other uses which is why I opted for one.

Dave.
Old 30 December 2006, 09:19 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DemonDave
Steve

It is not about hosting your own mail server - outlook and other mail programs use port 25 to access mail servers, yahoo for example. Yahoo has provided an alternative

(If your ISP blocks port 25 or if you're unable to send email, then you will need to use port 587 when sending via Yahoo!'s SMTP server. To make this change, please follow the directions below: )

so you either use a different port, use a mail forwarder or there are a couple of alternatives. A static IP has other uses which is why I opted for one.

Dave.
Okay. I thought I had port 25 blocked, but can quite happily send email via my domain (incoming is POP3 and outgoing SMTP). I thought that port was only used when you changed your domain to use your IP and set up an SMTP server?

Steve
Old 30 December 2006, 10:38 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Do a search - there is quite a few comments about it

Cut and paste from one that explains it a bit more

Port 25 Blocking

Many ISPs are blocking what is called "Port 25" which is the port used to send e-mail. They are doing this to cut down on the amount of spam that is sent from their networks.
All e-mail sent via the Internet is routed through the port 25, the channel used for communication between an e-mail client and an e-mail server. Even though port 25 blocking will probably become an industry standard, however, the filter can create problems for e-mail servers and block legitimate e-mail as well as spam.
Port 25 blocking allows ISPs to block spam sent out through their networks, but it tends to punish the innocent that have a need to send through e-mail servers other than those belonging to their ISP. The ISPs that block port 25 require their SMTP server to be used instead of the remote SMTP server or a SMTP server running on your computer.
How the port 25 is used

All e-mail sent via the Internet is routed through port 25. When an e-mail server that runs on your computer delivers messages, it always uses port 25 to transmit data to remote e-mail servers. Therefore, if your ISP is blocking the port, your messages will not get through. There are two different ways the port 25 is being used by PostCast Server:
Incoming Connections

PostCast Server uses port 25 to accept incoming connections from e-mail clients. You can freely change that value in both server and client program and everything will continue to work because all TCP/IP connections are directed to your computer. Unless you block connections to your computer, the program will accept messages using any port number you specify (1-65535).
Outgoing Connections

PostCast Server also uses the port 25 for sending. It connects to remote servers and delivers the messages from the Outbox folder. Exactly the same rules apply except that every remote server expects the connection ONLY on port #25. This is the standard port number and while you can change the port number in the program to allow clients to send the messages internally, the remote servers always use port 25. If your ISP blocks remote connections to port 25, you cannot send any messages. PostCast Server will not be able to connect to the remote servers.
Old 02 January 2007, 08:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Okay, I have an activation date of the 11th January, so we will see what happens.

For anyone planning to do this, Be do not like MAC's in lower case and my original order got rejected because of it.

I did offer to program that toupper() on their webform ....

Steve
Old 03 January 2007, 01:10 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I did offer to program that toupper() on their webform ....
LOL
Old 03 January 2007, 11:37 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the traffic carried over some seperate network to adsl/the pipes the ISP use are these a lot cheaper for this technology?

the Fair Usage Policy
What about excessive network usage?

If it’s felt that any Be unlimited or office member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services.
with the potential ability to download over 7gb an hour i wonder if the service is sustainable once it becomes popular with the "p2p must download the interweb" people. unlimited adsl max connections tend to cost about £80 a month and 120gb a month (doable in a day with 24mb) is deemed heavy use

the feedback looks promising from current users (adslguide) and if it is a monthly contract then even if things go pear shaped it's not the end of the world.
Old 03 January 2007, 11:45 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
the feedback looks promising from current users (adslguide) and if it is a monthly contract then even if things go pear shaped it's not the end of the world.
It is a 3 month contract (i.e. you have to give 3 months notice or £50).

I download about 30gb a month on average, and am synced at 7.6 with Zen who have no traffic shaping. So we will see.

Steve
Old 03 January 2007, 12:28 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
is the traffic carried over some seperate network to adsl/the pipes the ISP use are these a lot cheaper for this technology?

the Fair Usage Policy

with the potential ability to download over 7gb an hour i wonder if the service is sustainable once it becomes popular with the "p2p must download the interweb" people. unlimited adsl max connections tend to cost about £80 a month and 120gb a month (doable in a day with 24mb) is deemed heavy use

LLU is a lot more lax on this as they dont have to play by BT's line rental rules, but yes with congestion and the like things may change