Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How often do search engines refresh their DB's?

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2006, 01:01 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do search engines refresh their DB's?

Cos I've just recoded my site. I know it will take time for the improvements to ripple through the web, I was just wondering how long is long?
Old 13 December 2006, 01:42 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

It depends on how often you are spidered and that depends on a number of different factors from search engine to search engine, including Google Page Rank. As a guide, we are PR4 and get spidered every week (you can tell by looking at your log files or stats package). Some of our clients sites get spidered once a month and some high ranking sites are every 48 hours. Also bare in mind, that you might find an up to date listing on say Google.com but non google.co.uk straight away (or vice versa). Most of the big search engines don't share their regional database info, or at least not very quickly anyway.

Russ
Old 13 December 2006, 01:56 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem, I didn't have any stats before today. The web hosts I use, their stats system doesn't work. thus leaving me no option to install a 3rd party package.

Guess its just going to have to be 1 of those suck it and see jobs. I know that under the old site, I appear at No. 6 if you search on my site name, but I updated all the meta descriptions and keywoards to make things easier.
Old 13 December 2006, 02:07 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

To be honest, meta info means **** all nowadays with even Yahoo who previously favoured these moving away and looking at other areas like keyword placement within content etc.

Best tips to creep higher is use keywords (not business names!) in titles, tags, image alts, text and links. Then ensure keywords are emphasised by bolding, italics, etc. The mix of this lot will help with your ranking but as you say you're in the lap of the gods as to when you next get spidered.

Russ
Old 13 December 2006, 02:45 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Re keyworded it all etc.

Found out the last time I was spidered was 9/09/06!!! So deffinatly need it doing again, they have missed 2 updates already!.

This is the 3rd 1, and I'd really like it redone so atleast everything would work!