Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone Done The IMLP At Ge

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2006, 02:46 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Done The IMLP At Ge

As above has anyone done the IMLP with GE and when did you do it

need some info on the assessment centre
Old 03 December 2006, 02:28 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

You'll need to do some tests, group excercises and interviews.

Be confident but do not under any circumstances be cocky. Don't talk over other people in the group work. Try to be positive and a team contributor.

Round one will be in a local business with a european assessment to follow if you are one of the two or three people who get through round one.

It's one of the best graduate IT programs around if you do get on it despite everyone calling it I Must Love Powerpoint.
Old 03 December 2006, 04:17 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for the reply LanCat, have you done the IMLP, if so where did you do it.

cheers
Old 03 December 2006, 06:17 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

No I've not been on the program but I've been an assessor several times not an "assessee".

You won't come across me if you are doing it in Leeds, but maybe if you get through...
Old 03 December 2006, 06:50 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LanCat
No I've not been on the program but I've been an assessor several times not an "assessee".

You won't come across me if you are doing it in Leeds, but maybe if you get through...
o lol, so in essence im asking one of the assessors how/he she would examine me
Old 03 December 2006, 10:17 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Well at least you are trying to research the process

The assessors are generally a mixture of the IT management groups and HR types. None of them (us?) are scary but the program invests a lot in the participants, and not just in money terms either. The investment those IT managers will make in you in time, dedicated to you, for the whole 2 years of the program is significant and they will want to be sure you are going to make a big commitment to it. They wont want to pick a loser and they will not choose anyone they think will be lazy. Work hard at IMLP and the worlds your lobster

The tests are straightforward literacy and numeracy ones, you'll probably not be surprised to find that many so called graduates make a mess of these. Clearly the ability to count and understand the english language is more important in MaccyD's than some of out educational establishments

As for the interview, the "why do you you want to work here/what is it about the program that appeals to you" questions will arise and you want a good answer to them. Be prepared to talk about any work experience or projects you've worked on - good examples/experience here is useful.

I'd also research the company as much as you can too. the diversity, culture and the integrity buttons are good to press but make sure you understand why.

The problem/challenge you are set needs you to show that you are flexible, that you can sort multiple data and make suggestions and conclusions but also show regard to other peoples opinions. Don't just make suggestions but also question other peoples suggestions if you can.

Make the effort if you get the chance - the program is effectively the 21st century version of an IT apprenticeship and will stand you in good stead not just in GE but also in any large organisation who is worth its salt.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 03 December 2006, 10:52 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Excellent stuff LanCat, really do appreciate it mate.

I’m very good with aptitude tests so that shouldn't be a problem.

I’m pretty good with interviews too so that also should not be a problem.

Normally i am excellent in group work and am a very good team leader but working in a team and being examined on your performance is what makes me a little nervous.

I had an assessment centre which I attended in Central London for IBM. I did extremely well but they rejected me for not being "physical" enough. I mean that should have been excusable considering the fact I had notified them that I was suffering from a fever which was blatant on the day. But nevertheless that was the only reason they apparently rejected me for.

Here it is a double test so to say, not only are you demonstrating your a good team member but also have to demonstrate your leadership skills hence seems more difficult compared to the one with IBM.

Regarding the program itself, I know I am very ambitions and a hard working individual, one that people would call a "grafter". So I think my attitude should be good for the program, lets hope the day goes well and I don’t spoff the great opportunity
Old 04 December 2006, 09:13 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Hi LanCat, sorry to do your head in again but was wanting a suggestion.

I have been trying to look for an answer or shall i say tips to successfully complete the group assessment.

Would it be wise to start off with something along the lines of "Ok guys, before we read anything, I think we need to appoint a team leader. I myself am up for it however if anyone else would like to voice their opinions then please do so"

Following this I can delegate some tasks (if i am accepted as the team leader) and whilst doing so can get everyone involved by asking them questions such as "what do you think MR X about this suggestion, I personally like it but I believe this one is better…".

I believe you can take most out of your team members as such.

What would you think of my strategy? One that could work or one that could land me in hot water?

cheers
Old 04 December 2006, 10:46 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Dont appoint a leader, Leaders dont make teams, teams make teams. The excercise is long enough for people who have some ability to show leadership to demostrate it. Concentrate on communicating your ideas clearly instead of being too pushy.

Dont delegate. You'll get caught out. The original "task" could get changed somewhat while the excercise progresses :-)

If you see someone trying to get their point across and they aren't getting the chance, help them to do so. Points for inclusiveness are better than points for being dominant.

Try to think about the task and make common sense suggestions, work towards a solution dont try to jump to the end game (the game could change), listen to what the others say and try to offer support if its good ideas or offer counterpoints if they dont seem right to you.

One excercise I saw was trying to solve a production problem where the staff weren't motivated. There was a suggestion to sack the workforce and find a new one. Everyone laughed, the person felt very small and no longer contributed. The assessors noted that it was hardly a sympathetic approach but the others shouldnt have laughed, they should have assessed the idea, probably rejected it's extreme approach but considered whether HR action could be used constructively. Everyone lost points because someone became isolated. Get the idea?
Old 04 December 2006, 11:32 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Dont appoint a leader, Leaders dont make teams, teams make teams. The excercise is long enough for people who have some ability to show leadership to demostrate it. Concentrate on communicating your ideas clearly instead of being too pushy.

Dont delegate. You'll get caught out. The original "task" could get changed somewhat while the excercise progresses :-)

If you see someone trying to get their point across and they aren't getting the chance, help them to do so. Points for inclusiveness are better than points for being dominant.

Try to think about the task and make common sense suggestions, work towards a solution dont try to jump to the end game (the game could change), listen to what the others say and try to offer support if its good ideas or offer counterpoints if they dont seem right to you.

One excercise I saw was trying to solve a production problem where the staff weren't motivated. There was a suggestion to sack the workforce and find a new one. Everyone laughed, the person felt very small and no longer contributed. The assessors noted that it was hardly a sympathetic approach but the others shouldnt have laughed, they should have assessed the idea, probably rejected it's extreme approach but considered whether HR action could be used constructively. Everyone lost points because someone became isolated. Get the idea?
So dont just kill someone off regardless of how silly his/her oppinion is. Work around it and get him/her contribute further rather that making them feel alone after his/her mess up. So the situation you explained above was similar to that of The Apprentice on week 1 when Syed thought of the name, A Team for their team.

So in the situation you explain, would it have made sense if say for example I come in and helped the person out by saying "well I dont think its something we need to laugh about, I think Mr X has contributed well and there is some element we can relate to such that we FEEL they should be sackable but in the real world we can Dicipline them, I think its a positive contribution with which we can work around but sacking I believe would be going a step too far in such a situation where motivation is what's required"

Something along the lines which of course sounds different when your discussion etc
Old 05 December 2006, 09:14 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

That's kind of it - but DON'T go into the assessment as tho' its an episode of the Apprentice. It's not dog-eat-dog, for reference, go through as much of this as you can.
Careers at GE : Why GE

The culture, integrity and values areas have a lot of focus from the leadership and showing some of those traits at the assessment wont do you any harm on the day.
Old 05 December 2006, 10:47 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Aah cool,

I am surprisingly very nervous at this moment in time and am thinking, if after all the preparations I am rejected its going to be a tough situation to face lol.
Old 05 December 2006, 01:38 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Just do your best

Don't worry during the day about making a mistake, you probably will because nearly everyone does. Let it go and get on with it, there's plenty of time during the day to recover.

Prep helps but there can still be a million reasons why you might be rejected. You might just have a bad day after all. Or they might.

As usual remember the usual golden rules. Have an early night, get there on-time (practice the route if you need to), look smart and tidy and have some of your own questions prepared for the interview.

And let us know how you get on
Old 05 December 2006, 01:50 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Just do your best

Don't worry during the day about making a mistake, you probably will because nearly everyone does. Let it go and get on with it, there's plenty of time during the day to recover.

Prep helps but there can still be a million reasons why you might be rejected. You might just have a bad day after all. Or they might.

As usual remember the usual golden rules. Have an early night, get there on-time (practice the route if you need to), look smart and tidy and have some of your own questions prepared for the interview.

And let us know how you get on
Hi thanks for all the help LanCat, i really do appreciate it.

Whether I get the job or not at least i can reflect back on someone that helped me.

I defo will let you know how things go.

One quick question however, where are you based yourself?
Old 05 December 2006, 02:41 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

You are welcome.

I'm a bit of a tramp with no fixed base. I have a regional role so I move around various European sites.
Old 05 December 2006, 03:12 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

You are welcome.

I'm a bit of a tramp with no fixed base. I have a regional role so I move around various European sites.
Aah i see, I went to collect a friend from GE once a couple of weeks ago and seen a very nice new age Impreza in the carpark in Morley, wouldnt be yours by any chance would it?
Old 05 December 2006, 05:03 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Not me. I sold my classic until 18 months ago but still hang around here a little. My bum sits in an M3 now.
Old 05 December 2006, 05:44 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Not me. I sold my classic until 18 months ago but still hang around here a little. My bum sits in an M3 now.
O so i can officially call you a "Big Fish" now lol