Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ebuyer and dead pixels.

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 06:57 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebuyer and dead pixels.

I bought an LCD display from Ebuyer last week only to find on arrival it had a dead pixel in the centre area of the screen. This pixel was stuck on red and was very distracting.
They took the display back and tested it and i've just received an email to say it has been checked and they are unable to reproduce the fault.
All credit to them for picking up, testing and returning the display in the space of a week but i suspect it may arrive tomorrow still with the same pixel stuck on.
Anyway, the question is - can a faulty pixel on an LCD display recover itself once it's gone?
2nd question, distance selling laws allow you to return a mail order product with in 7 days if you don't like it. Would I still be entitled to a refund now if the display returns with the same fault present. Don't fancy spending the next few months sending it back and forth.
Opinions?
Old 27 November 2006, 06:59 PM
drew_peacock
Scooby Regular

You can fix them (sometimes) just by poking the screen till it compresses and they often spring back to life, as famously posted by lightning101 a while back and it worked for me 2 out of 3 times
Old 27 November 2006, 11:11 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I've successfully fixed stuck pixels like this - no problem

first, get a soft cloth that won't scratch the screen. Then, wrap the cloth around your index finger, and rub the screen in a clockwise circle around the pixel. Might help if you have the wallpaper on a colour where the pixel is visible. Try and rub in a decent circle, about 2-3cm radius around the pixel.

you *should* notice that at some point in the circle, the pixel will disappear - have patience, it once took me about 10 minutes to massage a pixel into life.

Keep at it - it does work.

If you have a black pixel, then its dead and the above procedure won't work. Red, blue or green means that the filter for that colour is stuck and a massage will free it up.

Make sure you use a soft cloth, and don't be afraid to press firmly on the screen (but not too hard that you damage it)

Finally, I can't take responsibility if you press too hard and break your LCD.

HTH
Old 28 November 2006, 07:22 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Its very unlikely that they would have to take this back as there is a tollerance for pixel failure which most manufacturers and resellers make clear.

Its quite common for there to be a number fo dead pixels as most panels are graded A to E with E rated units being used on the cheapest displays as they ahve the highest chance of a high number of dead pixels.

Any decent reseller should be able to offer at a small charge a pre delivery inspection to eleiminate any screens that have a high dead pixel count or ones that are placed centre screen

AllanB
Old 28 November 2006, 08:53 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, i'll give the massaging technique a go if it's still the same when it returns.
Ebuyer were very good about replacing the screen if it did have a dead pixel but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. As far as i'm concerned it's not fit for purpose if it has a bright red dot in the middle of the screen. No mention of pixel failure tolerances in the handbook or on the website. I think this was maybe the case when LCD's were just introduced but no so now?
Old 28 November 2006, 10:02 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

assuming you purchased the for private use (not business to business). Just send them back under the "distance selling regulations" - you have 7 days? to do so and they have to give you a refund (less outbound delivery costs)
Old 28 November 2006, 10:24 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You don't need any excuses to return it to eBuyer, they are good for returns.

I bought a Samsung 930BF monitor and didn't like it one bit, so eBuyer took it back and refunded the money. I had to pay £20 postage, but it was better than losing £250 on a crap monitor.

Or just try the pixel rubbing thing
Old 28 November 2006, 10:55 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

What make of monitor is it?
Old 28 November 2006, 10:41 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

It's a 32" Hyundai panel, they have a good reputation and it seems to be a great set for the price. It was returned this morning with a note quoting ISO standard for LCD displays. Also a phone number for Hyundai - I've called and they said it's they're policy to replace screens with 3 or more dead or stuck pixels. No replacement for just one.
The more i've used it today the less i've noticed it, it's only really when the screen is completely black that I can find the errant pixel so i've decided to keep it.
I tried the 3 methods for reviving dead pixels and none work, for info they are as follows

1. The massage technique (as described above) not convinced this would ever work but there's plenty of support for it on the net.
2. Apply pressure to the area with the display turned off and turn the display on whilst the pressure is still applied.
3. Use one of the programs available for free on the net which cycles each pixel through each of it's colours rapidly. Apparently using this for 20 minutes is quite effective and can recover burn in on older plasma sets after about 6 hours. Didn't work for me but did put pretty patterns on the screen for a while.

Apologies to AllanB for doubting you, it seems all screen manufacturers have policies but are very coy about advertising them. Buyer beware!
Old 29 November 2006, 11:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
It's a 32" Hyundai panel, they have a good reputation and it seems to be a great set for the price. It was returned this morning with a note quoting ISO standard for LCD displays. Also a phone number for Hyundai - I've called and they said it's they're policy to replace screens with 3 or more dead or stuck pixels. No replacement for just one.
The more i've used it today the less i've noticed it, it's only really when the screen is completely black that I can find the errant pixel so i've decided to keep it.
I tried the 3 methods for reviving dead pixels and none work, for info they are as follows

1. The massage technique (as described above) not convinced this would ever work but there's plenty of support for it on the net.
2. Apply pressure to the area with the display turned off and turn the display on whilst the pressure is still applied.
3. Use one of the programs available for free on the net which cycles each pixel through each of it's colours rapidly. Apparently using this for 20 minutes is quite effective and can recover burn in on older plasma sets after about 6 hours. Didn't work for me but did put pretty patterns on the screen for a while.

Apologies to AllanB for doubting you, it seems all screen manufacturers have policies but are very coy about advertising them. Buyer beware!
where can i get this free cycling proggy? i have a plasma i want to recover

Mart
Old 29 November 2006, 11:17 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

JScreenFix - Free software to fix stuck pixels and burn-in

Didn't work for me but give it a go.

Cheers, Andy
Old 11 December 2006, 10:06 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Just an update, I sent it back to Ebuyer and rejected it as not fit for purpose.
The same guy at the other end inspected it again and this time agreed it should be replaced. I've just received another new one this morning that has zero dead or stuck pixels.
Well worth the effort of sending it back and forwards but also something to bear in mind for those considering buying an LCD tv. Not all vendors may be so forthcoming...
Old 11 December 2006, 11:37 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I won't accept any dead pixels on stuff I buy. It doesn't even get reported as faulty. I just send it back under the Distance Selling regulations and order another.