Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless home entertainment network

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 03:03 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless home entertainment network

I'm having thoughts of a wireless home entertainment network again, and as we seem to be decorating most of the house at the moment I thought it was a good time to look into it again.

My idea is to have a wireless network with my office PC as the main stay of the network.

From the network I want the following items linked:

1. An external HDD, always on which holds all Music/Photos
2. Wireless laptop
3. Humax or Topfield HDD recorder
4. Xbox 360 (when I buy one)
5. Printer
6. Music streamers, linked to: Lounge stereo & Conservatory/kitchen stereo

So I want all music and photos to be held on an external HDD which is connected to the always on wireless network and accessable throughout the house using music streaming things (tech term ) connected to 2 stereo's.

I also want the PVR connected to the network for backing up recordings made to HDD and or DVD, and I want the Xbox connected for live etc.

I burn all CD's to PC so I can use them as MP3 files, so the main idea is to be able to access music/photos/internet from around the house with all files held in a single place.

I also want to use my wifes lappy for web browsing in the lounge, and also printing to the network printer.

Can anyone see any issues in my plan, and anything I should look at?

Is wireless robust enough now, and secure enough for my system?
Old 27 November 2006, 03:13 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Just to add to this, i'm not a big fan of leaving my PC switched on 24/7, so i'm looking for a solution in between, hence the HDD idea. Though thinking about it, the HDD will need some sort of server attached to it!!
Old 27 November 2006, 03:35 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

You can get wireless-enabled "NAS" boxes (I use inverted commas since at this level they don't deserve the "NAS" nam in my opinione), something like Iomega's NAS 100d would do it.

However if you want to be able to have multiple clients hang off of a hard drive/server then I'd go for a wired solution on the core network "backbone" with wireless clients as needed.
Old 29 November 2006, 12:56 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Yup, agree. Take a look at Slim Devices : Transporter & Squeezebox : Free your music! for the squeezebox and infrantreadyNAS which is a raided NAS solution. Use wires for all devices that never move as it's just more reliable, and use wireless for things that move like pdas and laptops.
Old 29 November 2006, 01:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The main problem with wired is getting the wires routed into place, but I do worry about the reliability of wireless so it may be better that way.

I've been looking at those Slim devices things, as well as the Roku Soundbridge things, all look very good.
Old 29 November 2006, 01:48 PM
Surgical Spirit
Scooby Regular

1. An external HDD, always on which holds all Music/Photos

I have an NSLU2 from linksys which is inexpensive at around £50 and can have 2 USB HDD attached (I just have the one atm a 250GB which was about £70). It runs linux and can be easily 'hacked' to increase its functionality and particularly add mt-daap which is an itunes server making your music collection available to any device on the network.

2. Wireless laptop

I would have a wireless router/modem best to get an ADSL 2 connceted my ethernet to your main PC for best connection speeds. 300mb routers are available now but in my experience 54mb systems are fine for streaming music, pics and DVDs from the NSLU2

3. Humax or Topfield HDD recorder

You could put together a 'media pc' for a few hundred quid connected to you TV which could do this - also means you can view you photos on your TV.
4. Xbox 360 (when I buy one)

5. Printer

NSLU2 can handle printserver

6. Music streamers, linked to: Lounge stereo & Conservatory/kitchen stereo

I used apples airport system which are about £80 each and can connect to any existing amp with a spare phono input, you then just select which speakers you want to play through from the computer which you are selecting the music

Hope this helps a bit - everyone seems to have a different approach to this sort of thing. Try also looking at AV Forums Home and www.tomshardware.co.uk
Old 29 November 2006, 02:21 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
The main problem with wired is getting the wires routed into place, but I do worry about the reliability of wireless so it may be better that way.
The main issue with wireless vs wired is bandwidth. Since you could potentially have n+1 clients, using a wireless network for everything will saturate it under heavy use, especially if you start streaming video.
Old 29 November 2006, 03:04 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Wires aren't really a problem unless you have solid floors?

I lifted the floor boards in my place to lay the wires, with cables stapled along skirting in a few places. If you plan it it's not too bad.

As above, wireless gives issues with both bandwidth and reliability, neither is really bad, it's a matter of preference/practicality, but it was easy for me to go wired, so I did.

I use wireless for two laptops and a PDA though...
Old 29 November 2006, 05:27 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

A few things to think about withthis:

Firstly if your streaming audio to two or more streaming boxes, you may find you have a issue with time lag between each one. Which is a pain if you want them to play the same music in perfect sync as you may somtimes get the dreaded echo effects as one box lags behind the other.

If you ever decide to stream video, if you use HQ video, you may find you start running out of bandwidth. A wired (or part-wired) solution would overcome this. If your brave you could buy a set of DECT phones, and utilise the old (now unused)phone cabling in your house for the wired network. Yes it won't be cat5 or cat 6, but I've done this before and found it stable up to 100Mb on a 25metre run between two hubs (office).
Old 29 November 2006, 08:03 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, some good advice coming

Its driving me nuts this, been researching allsorts this week and my heads spinning now.

I won't be streaming video etc, and the audio will only go to a single stereo at a time.

The main idea was to be able to access my music/picture collection from around the house. I think a wired network would be better, as I have all the equipment for that already, plus the carpets are all up now so easy access to under the floor.

I'll begin by drawing out a diagram of what I want, and plan cable laying etc, so I may come back to this thread later with further plans.

<goes off to view the NSLU2>
Old 29 November 2006, 09:19 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Just looking into this NAS stuff, very interesting especially as some have built in web servers so I can run my sensitive web applications (finances etc) on the network rather than on the web.
Old 29 November 2006, 10:57 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
A few things to think about withthis:

Firstly if your streaming audio to two or more streaming boxes, you may find you have a issue with time lag between each one. Which is a pain if you want them to play the same music in perfect sync as you may somtimes get the dreaded echo effects as one box lags behind the other.
Not with the squeezeboxes they sync perfectly through the software, I have two and they are great...
Old 29 November 2006, 11:06 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've heard otherwise. Especially if the signal strength differs between boxes.
Old 30 November 2006, 12:50 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

guess it's a case of ymmv then, I've never had any issues. Do you auto upgrade the squeezebox firmware and server software automatically? I'm running the latest stuff.
Old 30 November 2006, 12:55 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I sent it bacK
Old 30 November 2006, 04:03 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

looking at your location I'm starting to twig but what do you use as a much more reliable alternative, then ?
Old 30 November 2006, 04:15 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I don't have alternative - yet. I just have one box now.

Eventually I'll set up a distributed audio/video sytem with individual power amps for each room fed from a common source (HTPC), with few buffer amps to address the signal degredation (unless I use digital coax).
Old 01 December 2006, 07:59 AM
merlin
Scooby Regular

For the network rather than going wireless you would be better off using a number of HomePlugs. They are much more reliable particularly in a large house and run faster too. Do a search for homeplug on amazon or google. They allow you to run the network over the mains system. I have three and they just work running at 85Mbps.