Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360 and Sony TV

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2006, 01:15 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox 360 and Sony TV

Just got an Xbox 360 from the missus and struggling to connect the HD side of things.

Have Sony Bravia LCD TV with HDMI, component (and scart) and want some HD action from the 360.

Originally had it going in via the yellow (S-Video?) lead which I'm aware isn't HD, so plugged in the component leads (blue, green and red, iirc) in the back (and took out the yellow lead!). Problem I have is I now have no picture at all. Screen just keeps flashing every few seconds, on flash, like when it changes AV inputs.

Have pushed the button onto HD from TV on the video box thingy on the back of the 360, but makes no difference.

Anyone got a similar telly and/or any ideas?

Would be a shame to waste the HD output and not utilise the benefit of my cracking telly!

Cheers.
Old 07 November 2006, 01:45 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I had this initally - I found the way I got round it was to switch the button back over SD - connect up the scart part of the AV lead. Go into setting on the xbox360 and set it up for 480p or 720p or whatever res you want and confirm it - then hook up the component leads, swich the selector back over to HD and reset the console.

Should work.
Old 07 November 2006, 02:58 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be related to this

>> The Fall Update added 1080p VGA-output support to the Xbox360, but the feature is not working on some high-end native 1080p televisions like Sony's XBR2/XBR3 line (you can find more about the issue here). Engadgethd.com is reporting that Microsoft is now working on a fix for the 1080p issue.:

The company still hasn't said exactly what it believe is causing the issue, although some have said it may be due to either frequency supported by the VGA cable or the way it syncs with monitors, but Major Nelson confirmed on his podcast this morning that engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. The TVs that suffer the problem appear to be some Sony (most notably LCD XBRs) and Samsung models that should be able to accept the 1080p input but as of yet, don't. Affected owners should hopefully have their mere 720p experience rectified soon, but will it be in time for the HD DVD player launch?

Sony & Microsoft just can't seem to get along
Old 07 November 2006, 04:13 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I had this initally - I found the way I got round it was to switch the button back over SD - connect up the scart part of the AV lead. Go into setting on the xbox360 and set it up for 480p or 720p or whatever res you want and confirm it - then hook up the component leads, swich the selector back over to HD and reset the console.

Should work.
That sounds very sensible, will give it a go and let you know. Thought there might be a problem with just pushing the switch over!
Old 07 November 2006, 04:14 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
It could be related to this

Sony & Microsoft just can't seem to get along
Wasn't aware my tv supported 1080p. Thought it was only very high spec tvs that supported progressive scanning at that resolution? Would be nice if it could!