Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What ADSL ISP is good currently...

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2006, 08:04 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Newnet, IDNet, Aquiss are all pretty decent.

I'm in the same boat as you, and in the process of migrating to newnet, as the price is the same as gaynet for a 60GB/mnth usage (not a cap) with absolutely no traffic shaping/throttling on any protocol. If you do stray over, then you can pay for the extra used, which is a much better business plan. NNet is a no frills service, so no webspace or usenet, but you can always buy these later if you need to from other suppliers.

Read up on ADSL Guide and ISP Review

I would stay well clear of Pipex, alot better packages out there imo.
Old 29 October 2006, 03:58 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay bravo, I'm in the exact same scenario as you they never told me that my line was capable of running up to 3meg, like you i'm on the top package and should have been getting 2meg only found out because i've been having problems, surprise surprise it's not their fault, but the exchanges like you i download tv torrents and other stuff, and also getting dial up speeds
Old 29 October 2006, 04:47 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I use Eclipse and they seem to be very good. Their customer service actually respond to your emails and calls !!!!!

Eclipse Internet - Welcome - use the referral code GARYCAT if you sign up
Old 29 October 2006, 05:55 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

we resell tons of these guys

http://www.nildram.net

have it in our office and home and they are pretty consistent.
adsl guide ranks them in the top 3 so not bad.
Old 29 October 2006, 05:58 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

nildram have just been taken over by pipex who traffic shape big time, so downloads from p2p and the like would be slow. Zen don't traffic shape but can't accomodate your useage requirements
Old 29 October 2006, 06:07 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1210
nildram have just been taken over by pipex who traffic shape big time, so downloads from p2p and the like would be slow. Zen don't traffic shape but can't accomodate your useage requirements
they were taken over by pipex a while back, and so far it hasent made any difference....had a chat to one of their tech directors a few weeks back and they dont use the traffic shaping model at all...he could be talking boolocks of course
Old 29 October 2006, 06:27 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
he could be talking boolocks of course
Overclockers UK Forums - Nildram.

that thread would suggest a pork pie or two
Old 29 October 2006, 08:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I use Zen, but it is much more expensive than what you want to pay. It does have no throttling or traffic shaping, and 50gb though.

Steve
Old 29 October 2006, 09:50 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

any LLU's in your area?

The Broadband Resource

im with Zen also on Max who are ace, i can get 830k off peak but they aint cheap and the 50GB limit is strictly enforced unless you buy extra
Old 29 October 2006, 09:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by **************
Thats the problem, they all claim they have no traffic shaping but then you find out on forums from current customers that this is in fact boll0x.

Newnet look interesting but not convinced 100% on any alternatives as of yet.
Thats the thing thou, Newnet specifically state there is none whatsoever on any protocol. And from the forum feedback (when there is any, it's very quiet in there usually) its all rosey Only 1mnth contract requirement to, so if they do go bellyup (unlikely) its not hard to move on.
Old 29 October 2006, 10:08 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

aye I suppose, out of interest what are your line stats? if your are only syncing at 4 then you must be be quite far from the exchange

have you tried that test Zen Support Knowledge Base v1.0

ADSL Nation On-Line Shop

that may help a little

i think LLU's are not that expensive but for ping and the like i'd imagine telewest would be king, also what do you get pinging the bbc response time wise

Last edited by mike1210; 29 October 2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 29 October 2006, 10:31 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Ping times to bbc are anything from 37ms to 164ms. I'm only 1 mile from the exchange as the crow flies although I know the line doesn't go straight there but even if you say a max of 2 miles it shouldn't be limited to 2.5mb.
I imagine a bit of interleaving is on your line there, though 37ms suggest not too much, my mates adslmax gets around 250ms to the BBC all the time

Line stats are snr of 14db and downstream attenuation of 46db and now sync'd at 3264kbps although this was 6500kbps earlier today. Maximum continuous download speed I have seen has been 310kb/s which was last night after opeing another call with Plusnet. They did something as previous to the call it was 260kb/s but they wont tell me what they did!
Good snr but attenuation is quite high, do you leave your router on all the time? your line does seem a little wobbly, max is causing several problems and you seem to be a victim

just when you thought it couldnt get any worse

Overclockers UK Forums - NTL admitted to Traffic Shaping

sorry

you could try another 1 month contract ISP but to be honest cable may be your best bet
Old 29 October 2006, 10:33 PM
Goon
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - with a Spec B Legacy Tourer. Gamertag - Coin Slot

Originally Posted by SwissTony
they were taken over by pipex a while back, and so far it hasent made any difference....had a chat to one of their tech directors a few weeks back and they dont use the traffic shaping model at all...he could be talking boolocks of course
Check ADSL guide forums, Nildram have introduced traffic shaping, although they haven't got the ***** to actually admit it officially.

I've just moved to Aquiss from Nildram, looks good so far.
Old 29 October 2006, 10:58 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

if you do decide to go the cable route, ask people near you

a) if they use it and if so
b) what it's like in your area, it can vary from place to place or so i hear
Old 30 October 2006, 09:09 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

How \ Why did you get BT to change the physical line ?? - interested as my line is carp !
Old 30 October 2006, 10:26 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

The line probably wasnt changed physically, they just use a different pair in the green boxes that you see so it takes a different route which could be shorter or longer.

If your router synced earlier at over 6000kbps and has now dropped, it sounds as though they are re training your line. As for the fluctuation in speed when you say it jumped to 310kb/s when it was 260, the problem with max is that it is not a stable rate. It depends on other peoples usage (slightly different to contention ratio but same sort of principal)
When you are on a 2mb svs, your line is fixed at that, max is variable.

try DSL ZoneUK - broadband for everyone for some help and info, you could check all of the internal cabling etc.

Fwiw I am about 1 mile away from my exchange as the crow flies, I have downstream attuention of 44 and I sync at approx 5700 kbps, snr with me is something like 10 but can drop down to 4 depending on time of day. I do use a thompson speedtouch 585 v6 and there is a program that allows you to tweak the snr on that which can improve speeds.
Old 30 October 2006, 10:31 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonDave
How \ Why did you get BT to change the physical line ?? - interested as my line is carp !
You can have problems with the line between the house and the pole, mainly down to weathering.
The plastic covering breaks up over the years then you get corrosion on the copper, this is your biggest problem, plus most lines have been in service for more than 10 years, also another problem (because of the above) so to resolve an issue they can replace the line but only if the quality has dropped below the threshold.

Tony
Old 30 October 2006, 10:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
When you are on a 2mb svs, your line is fixed at that, max is variable.
All broadband is variable depending on useage, you only have so much bandwidth to play with

Tony
Old 30 October 2006, 10:40 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
All broadband is variable depending on useage, you only have so much bandwidth to play with

Tony
I know, but the effect is more so when on max as you could have the same contention ratio but people are getting highers speeds (variable), however as there is a max speed per pipe then it is affected more than the same amount of people on a different pipe that is set for the lower speed svs if you see what I mean
Old 30 October 2006, 10:58 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003

I do use a thompson speedtouch 585 v6 and there is a program that allows you to tweak the snr on that which can improve speeds.
heard they are great at holding unstable lines
Old 30 October 2006, 12:01 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

UK Free Software Network

seems a bit too cheap to be true but......
Old 30 October 2006, 12:35 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
heard they are great at holding unstable lines
Yes they are, rock stable, best wireless modem/router I have used, easy to set up as well and the dmt tool allows you to tweak and see what the line is doing.

Quick Reply: What ADSL ISP is good currently...