Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

networking mac to pc

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2006, 12:16 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default networking mac to pc

does anyone here know who to get the 2 computers to talk to each other. I have enabled teh drive on the pc for sharing.

The mac connects into the router wirelessly and the pc is hard wired on to the router.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to get the hdd of the mac to show on the pc as a network device and the drive on the pc to show on the mac.

Pc is xp pro and the mac is tiger
Old 17 October 2006, 02:06 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Simon,
It's certainly possible and should be pretty easy.

First up, on the mac, go into System Preferences and click "Sharing". Click "start" on the windows sharing option (if it says stop then windows sharing is already enabled). The click the accounts button and click the checkmark next to the account that you wish to allow access from the PC, then click "done"

Click "show all" at the top of the system preferences window. Then select "Network", then you'll want select the airport option, click configure, then click "tcp/ip" tab and note down the IP address of the Mac

In theory that should be all you need to do on the mac side. Go to the PC and open up windows explorer and type \\IPAddressOfMac and press return. IPAddressOfMac being the IP address of the mac we noted down but then you probably guessed that

This should, in theory pop up a name and password dialog, enter the name (probably need to use the shortname as listed in the Accounts preference pane in system preferences) and password of the user we enabled windows sharing for, and then you should be able to access something on the Mac. Now it won't be much, but we'll get to that later

To get the Mac to talk to the PC, it's easy. On the PC go to the start menu, select Run and then enter cmd into the dialog, you should get a DOS prompt, enter ipconfig and press return, this should get you all sorts of info, including the IPAddress of the PC, note this down. You also want to make sure that XP is setup to share files and windows firewall, or whatever firewall you are using is allowing filesharing connections

Go to the Mac and go into the Finder. From the Go menu select "Connect To Server" and type in smb://IPAddressOfPC/ (I'll let you guess what IPAddressOfPC is ) and press connect. You should then be asked to enter the name and password of the user on the PC, so do this and click OK, it should then give you a list of shares you can connect to.

As I mentioned eariler on the Mac side, not a lot is shared, this is because by default Apple does not have any config utils to allow you to share other folders, all is not lost, download the excellent sharepoints software which allows you to very easilly share any folders you like.

I've used the above method to let other PC's, including my VM's in Parallels Desktop access various folders on my mac, and my Macs can all connect to my PC's

If you have any problems, just shout
Old 17 October 2006, 02:14 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I was being dumb ***. I knew I had done it, and had rebuilt my mac and pc today.

When I first did it, I did it on a fully set up pc. this time I was trying to set up under service pack 1 not ssp2 as I had done previously. Just updated to sp 2 and bingo, 2 seconds work!!

Moral of the story, never let microsh1te products near a mac.
Old 17 October 2006, 03:15 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Glad you've got it working