Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Importing complex XML data into a database

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 03:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing complex XML data into a database

Here's a good one for you.

I've got some complex XML data (Mac OS X System Profiler report in XML format) and I would like, if at all possible, to import this into a database, preferably mac based, but it's not a problem if it's PC based.

The idea here is that I have the hardware reports generated automatically and put onto a server (that's the easy bit), I can view the data on the server, but I can't actually do any comparisons or searches, for example, search for all machines running Mac OS X 10.4.x with 256MB of RAM.
It's for this reason I'd like to import the data into a database so I can easilly find that information and generate a report on that search, or any other search I desire.

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to do this? I've looked at Filemaker Pro, and it does have an XML import, but it looks like I'd need an XSL stylesheet, and this data isn't simple row and column deal (see below) thus the XSL file would be a little complex, if it's possible to do it at all.

You can view/download the xml file here

Last edited by Markus; 06 October 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06 October 2006, 05:11 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SQL Server 2005 will do what you want via the import/export wizard. Additionally you *can* do it with SQL 2000 but its not as straightforward.

Gary