Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DSL router recomendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2006, 03:52 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSL router recomendations needed

I think my cheap *** router is on its last legs (which is just my luck, but its done a years service and only cost £15 so can't complain).

Up untill this 1, I've always used Netgear ones which seem bullet proof TBH.

Now it time for a new 1, I have a few options which I'd like input o, cos I have a few ways I could go (and only want to buy once).

I have a mac with a giganet port and wireless, and will be buying a new mac next year so will have another giganet but no wireless.

These will sit along side the PC tower which is getting turned into a file server and has a 10/100 port.

Now all the wired components will be in the studio, so no probs there, but the lappy will be in the house, which could be some distance away or on another floor. Wireless would save me having to run a beast of a cable, but would like a fast transfer speed as I use the lappy for downloading the camera when on locations.

So whats my best option? Giganet, 10/100, wired or wireless. I would like the 3 machines that will be in the stuido on a wired network.

Cheers, lots of critera to meet / think about and a budget of 100 - 150.
Old 05 October 2006, 02:31 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

do you have mean NTL/ethernet router

if so a cheaper one

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3099

a more expensive one

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3953

the backbone on the switch on either of those is 100 meg mind you

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3165

that has a 1 gig switch, not sure on the N standard yet mind you, wired is the way to go for fast transfers, the draytek would get my vote for sure out of those 3

worth pointing out that some of your machines only have 100 meg NICS in them which may make 1 gig redundant for now (but future proof i suppose). Need jumbo frame support to make the most of it

Last edited by mike1210; 05 October 2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05 October 2006, 10:33 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

avoid the Netgear DG834GT at the moment. It's crap on adsl 2+ connections
Old 06 October 2006, 09:48 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I downgraded AOL from Gold to Silver saving £10 a month and got a free Netgear DG834G v3 - which came in handy since I think I broke the ariel on my old v2 router

just a thought...

Mick
Old 06 October 2006, 09:29 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

PC pro have done a test in this months mag and the Belkin G+ Mimo came out on top , trouble is its only available at PC world ! As much as I ate the place and I'm in need of a decent router I am going to give it a try , at least you get a lifetime warranty .
P.S have been using Netgear DG 834 for the last 12 months,the range is crap it drops the connection when its been on for more than a few hours and Im forevever rebooting it , so its going in the bin
Old 07 October 2006, 12:05 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I also read the review in PC pro and i wasnt impressed by the fact they only seemed to be bothered by wireless speed, 30 M/Bit at best IIRC and for some supposed "as good as" N kit that's not great. Easy option if you are bothered about speed, use a cable.

Kbsub, all the belking kit i've used has been terrible, I'd strongly advise not getting a belking router....just my 2p worth
Old 07 October 2006, 09:47 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
I also read the review in PC pro and i wasnt impressed by the fact they only seemed to be bothered by wireless speed, 30 M/Bit at best IIRC and for some supposed "as good as" N kit that's not great. Easy option if you are bothered about speed, use a cable.

Kbsub, all the belking kit i've used has been terrible, I'd strongly advise not getting a belking router....just my 2p worth
Yes I had read reports on SN on how rubbish Belkin stuff was .and of course they don't give a long term reliability report. but what do you go for ? A lot of people like the Netgear stuff , but the one I have Ive not been too impressed with it TBH , also heard good things about Draytek but it didn't come out too well in the test and gets some mixed reviews on broadbandbuyer.co.uk, trouble is they don't sell the Belkin g+ mimo only PC world so I cant get any independent advice on that particular model of Belkin. so Im going to give it a try and let you all know how I get on and it does have lifetime warranty

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2006, 09:58 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I have a Netgear DG834GT - it only does 100mbps wired and 54g wireless but it has been more reliable than any other router I've owned.
Old 07 October 2006, 10:13 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Trouble is I need better range than the Netgear gives , its in the daughters bedroom hard wired to the main PC If i sit in the conservatory with the laptop Im out of the range with Netgear , what goods that ! also the wireless speed goes down to 18mbs even sat down stairs .
Old 08 October 2006, 06:02 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
Yes I had read reports on SN on how rubbish Belkin stuff was .and of course they don't give a long term reliability report. but what do you go for ? A lot of people like the Netgear stuff , but the one I have Ive not been too impressed with it TBH , also heard good things about Draytek but it didn't come out too well in the test and gets some mixed reviews on broadbandbuyer.co.uk, trouble is they don't sell the Belkin g+ mimo only PC world so I cant get any independent advice on that particular model of Belkin. so Im going to give it a try and let you all know how I get on and it does have lifetime warranty
kbsub - what are you looking for in your wireless router? good range? good p2p capability? How many computers do you have on your wireless network?
Old 09 October 2006, 12:06 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice, I ended up with a Linksys (Cisco) job from PC world (web price of 41 quid)

So far so good, not the prettyest thing around and distinctly plasticy in feel, but all seems well at the mo.
Old 15 October 2006, 11:09 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210

Yup you were right .. Had the Belkin for a total of 4 days and took it back to PC world , kept dropping the internet connection, range was no better than the Netgear and took forever just to get the thing working at all ... bad move

Still unsure what to get next , all I want is that bit of extra range so I can have my new lappy in the conservatory (router is upstairs in daughters bedroom )
Old 15 October 2006, 11:59 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Sorry wish I'd sen this earlier as you could have had my Netgear one as I'm about to upgrade it to a wireless version.

AllanB
Old 15 October 2006, 01:26 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Allan, what's your Netgear one like for connection with an 8mb ADSL line?

I have been having constant dropped connections with my Linksys!
Old 15 October 2006, 01:40 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

kbsub, blame PC Pro for that very misguided review on new routers, some of the stuff they have said in the past about routers has been a little off.

For people with poor lines, I've heard through the grapevine that Thompson Speedtouch routers are very good at keeping a bad line stable

get your router stats from here

:::. Kitz - Get your line stats .:::

MAXdsl is causing problems for certain routers, for whatever one you have is the firmware up to date (keep a backup of your old firmware if you can in case it makes it worse)

one of these may help clean up your line a little

ADSL Nation On-Line Shop

explanation of the older one here

Clarity - UK ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate

bear in mind with one of these you must plug the router into the master socket, but no need for any more filters on your line

Extending wireless range???? not something im an expert on as im a cable man myself, but certain netgear's and the like have MIMO range boost etc which may or may not help you.

I would have had the Draytek any day in that PC pro review

Last edited by mike1210; 15 October 2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:24 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I very nearly went for the Draytek , but the review put me off . Think I am going to save some money and stick with the Netgear , its behaving itself lately and I only need that extra few feet of range , so thinking about swapping the aerial for an Hi gain one found at Wireless Pro - For all your wireless networking needs its a far cheaper alternative

*EDIT*

Is there such a thing as a router/modem that I could have next to the main socket in the lounge and not hardwired to any PC ? We have two laptops and a desktop and if possible run them all wirelessly ...or not such a good idea
Old 15 October 2006, 03:25 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

It works perfectly with my 8Mb Bulldog line. No problems.

AllanB
Old 15 October 2006, 03:36 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub

Is there such a thing as a router/modem that I could have next to the main socket in the lounge and not hardwired to any PC ? We have two laptops and a desktop and if possible run them all wirelessly ...or not such a good idea
do you mean only use wireless connections on an adsl router?

if so then all should allow you to do that, though id use a cable connection to set the router up. Id say a bad idea if you're already having problems, that's going to worsen to situation

Last edited by mike1210; 15 October 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:49 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's what I mean ... thinking about it there must be households that just use laptop/s , I like the idea of the BT home Hub its that sort of thing I was thinking of , although not read any favourable reports about that either .
I'm not really having problems ..just wanted to extend the wireless range and a router thats a bit more stable (its a Netgear 834g 54 mbps)and doesnt need rebooting every couple of days .
Old 15 October 2006, 03:56 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

first things first

BT Home Hub = the worst piece of kit i've had the misfortune to use ever, it makes Belking stuff seem like Cisco

did a home setup at a bosses house, could'nt hold a wireless connection when the laptop was 2 feet away for more than 10 seconds, tried channel changing and the like.

Wireless will always be a second class network to wired, id only use it a last resort, can you reposition your current router? If not, any mates that have different ones that you could try, high gain ariels may help, some routers have the ability to adjust gain on the standard ariels not sure about the netgear one though

Last edited by mike1210; 15 October 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 15 October 2006, 04:05 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Thanks ..looks like I will be sticking to what I've got for the time being better the devil you know an all that
Old 15 October 2006, 11:56 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

ive got a us robotics1 it adsl2+ router with 1 10/100 and 54mbps wifi took about 1 mintue to set up! easist to use first time i used 1 and took 1 mintue, had it on for a week now and it hasnt dropped connection once!