Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Email spoofing - I want to kill someone!

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2006, 08:31 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Email spoofing - I want to kill someone!

I've been receiving quite a few emails recently along the lines of "your email didn't get through" however they are in response to emails that I didn't send. The "To" field is showing apparently random four character names @mydomain.myISP.co.uk so it looks like someone is spoofing using my domain.

I'm using Outlook Express. Is there any way that I can set up a rule to only allow emails to me@mydomain.myISP.co.uk and any other valid addresses that I allow? If not, has anyone got any other ideas?

(BTW, I'm using XP Home fully updated, Norton 2006 fully updated, Adaware and Spybot also fully updated, so I'm reasonably sure that it isn't a virus.)
Old 03 October 2006, 11:44 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your anti-whatever software won't make any difference for that I'm afraid.

I might ask Shaun/whoever to add my white/greylist policy to his sticky thread at the top. Nothing can stop spam, but you can at least decide whose mail arrives in your main inbox. Unfortunately, if people spoof your sender, you will still get the bounces, but you can limit what you actually see daily.

Edit to add, you can ask your ISP to stop the catch-all to your domain and only deliver mail to specific addresses, that should be simple in the first instance but an admin overhead in the long run since they'll need to have someone do it manually each time you want to add/remove/modify aliases, unless they have a front-end for the end user. Ask them.

Steve.

Last edited by stevencotton; 03 October 2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04 October 2006, 08:40 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve. That's pretty much what I expected. I guess I now need to contact my ISP.