Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Picking up email away from the office

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 11:35 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up email away from the office

I need a device which will enable me to check my email and access the web whilst I am out and about etc. I have a Dell Axim but from checking out Dell's web site it does not offer this facility, just via a Bluetooth, wi fi etc connection within a building which has a wireless router.

So suspect a Blackberry type device is the only solution? So far found the best supplier to be for email/web access only via Vodafone for a 8700 V model one off charge of £160 + £15 per month thereafter for web/email access.

Would you agree or recommend something else or even know of something which will enable my Dell Axim X3 to do the same thing?

Old 30 August 2006, 05:15 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

it all comes down to what your business supplies in the way of e-mail services

Are you talking a corporate e-mail system (Exchange) or your own SOHO solution picking up e-mails from your ISP?
Old 30 August 2006, 07:14 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

If it is POP3 enabled mail then there are loads of solutions.

Best integrated devices are all the derivatives of the HTC Hermes - HTC TyTN, MDA Vario II, XDA Trion, SPV M3100 - or the about to be released Sony Ericsonn 990.

They offer 3G, GPRS, wifi, quad band GSM, the HTC models all have EDGE. So in any conurbation you will have a choice of high speed access methods.

Both will run an outlook style email service. The HTC has an exchange solution and the Blackberry solution can be installed. The Sony does have push mail although I do not know the spec. The HTC offers Internet Explorer and the 990 has great version of Opera browser.

Both will do satnav, movies, MP3.

HTC models can run a powerpoint presentation if you really wanted it!! Also both run cut down versions of Word, Excel and a PDF viewer.

They are both pretty much the same size and both weigh in at between 150 - 176 gms.

Slightly larger than most mobiles - loads smaller than most PDAs.

www.expansys.co.uk
www.gsmarena.com
www.xda-developers.com

Rannoch
Old 31 August 2006, 07:39 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Sending this post from a GNER train where I have a choice of wifi, 3G and GPRS connections.

Excellent!
Old 31 August 2006, 08:24 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I'm loving my new M3100 too, very good bit of kit and at last it's a reasonable size to use as a phone without having an earpiece.
Old 31 August 2006, 08:33 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

You can have a PDA thing or a phone thing (e.g. Orange SPV). I have a C600 and it's great. Blackberries all look a bit crap really, too many buttons that are so small you need tiny fingers to work it. Far better to get a stylus based PDA, it'll work much smoother. If important to you, keep an eye on whether or not the device has wifi, for example the C600 doesn't.