Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Vantec Tornado 80mm

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2006, 11:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vantec Tornado 80mm

anybody running one of these bad boys in there case?

i have an over clocked xp2600 which hits 63degrees under load and sometimes gets a pit arsey

running a cooler with a 60mm to 80mm convertor bolted on with a 80mm coolermaster fan attached to do the duties, from memory it moved around 30cfm and was around 25db at max rpm

the vantec is specced (i think) at 119cfp and 50db

i also run an intake 80mm fan in the side panel and a 80mm fan for the exhaust but these dont seam to make that much difference TBH
case temp is always around 28

is the vantec really that loud, what compares with 50db?
Old 17 August 2006, 08:54 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I have a Vantec twin-fan PCI card to cool my VGA and when its at full chat, you certainly know about it !! 63° C is a bit hot though, it might be time to look at other heatsink options. I use one of these at the mo :

It has a good heatpipe design and my CPU never goes over 40° even at full load - its an X2 4200 @ 2.5Ghz per core (O/C'd)

80mm fans are nowhere near as efficient as 120mm maybe you could switch the rear exhaust for one of these - you can run them at lower speeds so they're not as noisy, and they shift a decent amount of air. Your side panel fan is pointing the wrong way - it should really be an exhaust drawing air away from the CPU, I think there might be some airflow problems in your case because of this. If you want an intake fan stick it in the front of the case so it can draw air across the motherboard.
50db fans are fooking loud, mine (apart from the Vantec when its switched on full speed) don't go over 25db, so a 50db one will sound like a Dyson !!
Old 17 August 2006, 02:57 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

there is a space at the rear for an exhaust, but there is no space at the front for an intake, hence why i used the side one for an intake, its actually quite far forward and around 2/3 inches away from the cpu, so it should bring fresh air in, and let it travel over to the cpu before the exhaust sucks it all out

temps go up when the side panel fan is set to "exhaust"

the motherboard (aseus an7x or something), im sure has a sensor built in to raise the cpu fan speed when it starts to cook (could have sworn i saw it in the bios and switched it on full power ) but that can be set back to temp related, so the vantec is not trying to take off all the time

no space for bigger fans anywhere really

must admit that after i posted this, i did a google and found that a lot of dishwashers are around 50db in use LMAO
Old 17 August 2006, 03:00 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

also my mates pc has been resetting itsself quite a bit, for a long time, so i told him to install motherboard monitor and report the temps, his xp2200 at standard clock speeds was 60 degrees

i explained that everynow and again he needs to clean the dust from his cooler
Old 21 August 2006, 08:47 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

this has just been delivered to work, and i plugged it into a spare power supply in the works dvr system

holy crap this thing blows some serious air, and the noise is not as loud as a dishwasher!
Old 21 August 2006, 10:12 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

somehow it managed to become much louder when i got it home

anyway, plugged it in, its rated at 5700 rpm but this thing is running at 6500rpm

cpu temps dropped around 15 degrees

so i then uppped the v-core and moved the cpu clock timing up a little
played a little LFS before and quit to the desktop to see motherboard monitor reporting the cpu temp at 44 degrees thats just under 20 degrees cooler then i have seen with the old setup

shame the thing is "loud"

cant control the speed either, the supplied lead is reporting the speed, not controlling it
Old 21 August 2006, 11:27 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Lol, not surprised it sounded louder at home - have a look at connecting it to a fan controller, see if you can drop the voltage to the fan to make it not as fierce ! Then you can turn it up when you're doing something intensive, then lower it for web browsing and non taxing stuff. That's what I normally do with the Vantec VGA card cooler. I let the CPU fan do its own thing, its not particularly noisy.
Old 22 August 2006, 05:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

finding a fan controller that controls molex power supplys has been a little tricky TBH