Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ne1 moderate/admin a PHP forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2006, 10:55 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default ne1 moderate/admin a PHP forum?

i'm getting a lot of spam members registering and some who do submit a 'real' email address posr spam threads in topics!!

apart from deleting the member each time they register.. how can i stop them infiltrate the message board?

ppl who register have to type the password and have to accept the membership via the email link to their email address.

those who don't give the real email of course don't click the link to be signed on the site... but still get the listing on the members list!!

how do we get round the problem??

Phil
Old 11 August 2006, 11:18 PM
bumpy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you can get round the memberlisting other than going through and doing a 'cull' every now and then but if you find a mod shout, we'd like to have it too!

We've got round it by making sure that only legitimate email addresses are accepted, (email validation mod)

We've stopped letting browsers 'browse' without logging in, all browsers, posters etc have to be registered members now

We auto prune our plugs forum so that we don't get members joining from more 'inane' sites just to plug **** or gaming.

Oh and we've got a full compliment of mods and admin with pretty much 24/7 cover if anything does slip through the net.

You should also have a mod in the admin panel whereby you have the admin activate the membership - we use this for the forum for our members who are 13 and under and only after consent from the parents - but registration and login isn't automatic for them

And try and discourage usernames with a multitude of numbers either before or after the username

Hope that helps
Old 11 August 2006, 11:46 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bumpy

We've got round it by making sure that only legitimate email addresses are accepted, (email validation mod) already have that in place, butthey are still on the members list, with their WWW showing in profile even though the account is NOT ACTIBE

We've stopped letting browsers 'browse' without logging in, all browsers, posters etc have to be registered members now is that to view the forum, they have to log in to read topics, orthey can see topics, but can't read topic?

We auto prune our plugs forum so that we don't get members joining from more 'inane' sites just to plug **** or gaming. how have you set that up, I prune back every 35days on topic not been posted in in that time, how do you do it?

Oh and we've got a full compliment of mods and admin with pretty much 24/7 cover if anything does slip through the net. only me at the mo, the boards not 'used' enough to need more moderators than moi

You should also have a mod in the admin panel whereby you have the admin activate the membership insead of them activating it via their email

- we use this for the forum for our members who are 13 and under and only after consent from the parents - but registration and login isn't automatic for them is this something different from the above?

And try and discourage usernames with a multitude of numbers either before or after the username how do you do that, i'm intered in doing it but couldn't work out how, ppl register with 1975 etc after their name etc

Hope that helps

tnx, glad its just not me

Phil

www.salsachatta.com is the site have a look and see where i'm going wrong