Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Job Market Question

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2006, 03:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job Market Question

Someone has or will shortly be obtaining their CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert) qualification over here and they seem to think that they will be able to relocate to the UK and find a job very easilly as they have the above qualification.

Anyone happen to know what the job market is like for CCIE qualifed people in the London area specifically.

I'm biting my tongue at the moment, as I'm fairly sure that it won't be as easy as they think it will be, due to the fact they'll be new to the country, plus they haven't actually "used" their qualifcation as such, in other words, they will have just got it and won't have been out in the field using it for say at least six months to a year, and I'd have expected most employers would want at least that level of real world experience.

Any info appreciated.
Old 01 August 2006, 04:21 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i can't comment on the qualification itself, but in my experience and of those i've worked with employers and recruiters don't really place much emphasis on the qualification without accompanying experience.

the qualification will be a boon when you and another both have the same experience and the employer has asked for only 1 cv. it'd be much more likely to be yours
Old 01 August 2006, 04:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure the markets dropped for CCIEs anyway. Majority of them are employed by Cisco.

Most good jobs are gotten by experience and who you know.
Old 01 August 2006, 05:18 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think someone with a CCIE will have much trouble finding work. There's a reason most of them work for Cisco Only a few years ago there weren't that many CCIEs globally (few thousand I think), it's an amazingly hard exam.
Old 01 August 2006, 10:19 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

You can't obtain a CCIE without an Excellent working knowledge.

I think CapGemini in the Docklands are looking for CCIE's. look on their website.

Also look at Jobserve

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 01 August 2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:07 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure he'll get a job with a CCIE... i have ALOT of respect for anyone who can pass the exam. its a really monster of a exam, cisco expect you to KNOW your stuff and you won't be able to pass with CCIE without knowing it.. period... I've done the study and training for CCNP & CCIE and beleive me CCIE is not a walk in the park... a very well respected qualification...