Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ethernet Card not working!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 07:34 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethernet Card not working!!

Hi,

This morning my house was stuck by lightening, and when I've come to use the net tonight, my router does'nt recognise the ethernet connection. Swapped the cable and still no joy, so tried my Netgear router and got the same. Configured the BT router to operate with USB, and I'm now online.

So guessing I need a new Ethernet Card. Are all these the same, and is it a case of just picking one up from PC World tomorrow? Or should I be looking for a particular one? Also are they usually just plug and play?

Cheers for any help
Old 22 July 2006, 07:38 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

You not got a built in ethernet port on your motherboard?!

Make sure you get a PCI ethernet card which has drivers for XP and XP 64 and is not on its way out of stock!

If you get a cheap one, it may not work with windows vista! But then if you buy a cheap one you can always go and get another!

Oh, make sure it has sustained transfer of 100meg + for ether to ether connection! Will be a straight swap unless the lightning has damaged your modem/router!
Old 22 July 2006, 07:49 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

As long as its 100meg then I wouldnt worry. Some are plug and play and others will need a driver installing, which usually come on a disk. Worry if you're asked to pay more than £10. The Genius ones i've been using are £4 and work with 98 up to XP and even Vista.

BTW if you house was stuck by lightening and all that got zapped was your network car they you are very lucky!
Old 22 July 2006, 07:59 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

The router still works ok I think, as both the BT and Netgear routers don't recognise ethernet, but the BT works fine with USB. I'll pop down to PC World in the morning and pick one up. Had a look on their site and they don't seem too expensive

Think I did get away lucky if all its taken out is the Ethernet Card