Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Total Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2006, 03:46 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Total Broadband

Hi All,

Started using BT's Total Broadband package (the one with the wireless hub). Very Impressed with the speed and service etc.

However, I can't seem to load the included (free) virus/firewall protection onto my laptop.

I called the helpdesk and they said I need a minimum of 256MB of RAM. Now the laptop used to be this, but it seems the graphics card I have installed is taking up a good few MB and I'm currently showing approx. 212MB and therefore can't download the software.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Does it sound right?

If it sound likely, no problems I can update the memory by another 256...

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Charles
Old 17 July 2006, 05:56 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Yep. As the Graphics is probably nicking you're main RAM supply to work. Have a look here for upgrade paths:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

put in the laptop make and model and away you go.
Old 17 July 2006, 06:13 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

I've got 1.25 MB RAM and still can't get any Norton stuff to work! and neither could BT .....
Old 17 July 2006, 07:32 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Yep. As the Graphics is probably nicking you're main RAM supply to work. Have a look here for upgrade paths:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

put in the laptop make and model and away you go.
Thanks for that Jpor

Originally Posted by The Rani
I've got 1.25 MB RAM and still can't get any Norton stuff to work! and neither could BT .....
Rani, are you using BT Total too? Can you remember the response you got when you tried to download Norton? It's not good if they can't keep to their end of the bargain!!!

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 17 July 2006, 11:10 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

BT spent hours trying to sort it out at their expense, Charlie - even phoned me back to see if it was working or not - but no luck, I'm afraid. Anything Norton just would not install (couldn't download Norton direct from the Symantec site, either and ended up getting my money back from them!). Shared connections with India abounded that night. The old bt.com tariff I was on didn't have all that cr@p! Haven't got Total yet but got their 'up to 8 Mbs' broadband - seems to run out at slightly under 6 Mbs most of the time. They keep telling me I should swap to Total because it'd be cheaper but there's quite a difference in the download allowance and I'm still not sure. Want to know what the BT Fusion phone is like - might swap one of my mobile accounts over to that as it would work out a lot cheaper than paying the mobile tariff I'm on at the moment. Would have to keep the same number though because the phone is used a lot for work.