Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problem with BT ADSL Max - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2006, 03:25 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with BT ADSL Max - any advice?

Right here's the deal:
got ADSL max in early may, everything was fine, getting 4-5mb download, no probs.
Them we had a problem with our line, there was a lot of noise and BT eventually came out and replaced the internal phone wiring in the house.
Went back on internet, downstream on the modem says I can now get about 6mb, however my physical download speed seems to be capped at 1mb. Won't go any higher no matter what.
Been on to BT twice, twice they've been "stumped", they've sent an engineer out to the exchange, and phone last night to say "all fixed, you should be at 6mb now".
Checked, guess what? 1MB.
Where do I go now in terms of contact with BT.
I'm gonna ring them again but I don't want to speak to the 1st line of contact who so far seems to keep on telling me to "clear my cache" and "disable antivirus - that could be sucking the bandwidth" (like hell) or even "ahh your interent exhange maybe very busy right now".
I understand it seems my BRAS profile on the exchange is what dictacts my physical download speed and I though it would be very easy for BT to check or reset this, apprently not.
Anyone else had similar issues. as I said I had no problem getting 4-5mb before the new phone line was put in but after the physical speed doesn't match the modems downstream speed.
Cheers.
Old 14 July 2006, 04:30 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

It all depends where you are downloading from ! Rumour has it most ISP's in the UK are throttling *ahem* download sites !
Old 14 July 2006, 04:56 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Wink

The speed it says I'm getting is from any speedtest site (including BT's own speedtester)
I don't do "that sort of thing" anymore, I'm a good boy now.
Old 14 July 2006, 05:34 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting the same problems with BT.
After upgrading from 2Mb to 8Mb in April I've had nothing but grief, on 2Mb I had no problems at all and never had to reset my router but with 8Mb it's everyday.
At first I was geting about 6Mb download but now it's down to about 0.5Mb and I'm starting to get annoyed with BT.
Their helpdesk is as helpful as dead chicken and all I get is "the line fault people are investigating sir, they will call within 48 hours" YER RIGHT!
Old 14 July 2006, 05:48 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Mine's down to 5.21MB at the moment - but would expect it to be lower at this time of the day. The only time it's really slow is when I go on certain sites .....
Old 14 July 2006, 06:57 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PiNkEyE69
Right here's the deal:
got ADSL max in early may, everything was fine, getting 4-5mb download, no probs.
Them we had a problem with our line, there was a lot of noise and BT eventually came out and replaced the internal phone wiring in the house.
Went back on internet, downstream on the modem says I can now get about 6mb, however my physical download speed seems to be capped at 1mb. Won't go any higher no matter what.
Been on to BT twice, twice they've been "stumped", they've sent an engineer out to the exchange, and phone last night to say "all fixed, you should be at 6mb now".
Checked, guess what? 1MB.
Where do I go now in terms of contact with BT.
I'm gonna ring them again but I don't want to speak to the 1st line of contact who so far seems to keep on telling me to "clear my cache" and "disable antivirus - that could be sucking the bandwidth" (like hell) or even "ahh your interent exhange maybe very busy right now".
I understand it seems my BRAS profile on the exchange is what dictacts my physical download speed and I though it would be very easy for BT to check or reset this, apprently not.
Anyone else had similar issues. as I said I had no problem getting 4-5mb before the new phone line was put in but after the physical speed doesn't match the modems downstream speed.
Cheers.
I'm lucky at the moment with my BT upgrade from 2mb to 8mb and use a 3 year old D-Link Broadband Router. Do you use a router? I seem to recall BT recommend using a router for 8Mb as most ADSL MODEMS won't cope.
Old 14 July 2006, 07:06 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I use a voyager 205 router-modem which is on BT's list as approved for working with ADSL Max.
I can't understand why changing the wiring between the main line outside and the socket would change this.
I've just tried the following tests (without success)
soft reset on modem
Hard reset on modem
Useing the usb port on the modem (I normally use the ethernet port)
Changing the lead between modem and line filter
Connecting a different PC to the modem
Trying the test port on the phone socket.
All still say downstream 6mb, actual speed 1mb.
Just off to drop my daughter off a guides then its on the phone to them.
They don't seem to understand that it was working fine (abeit I kept getting disconnected 5-6 times a day becuase of the line noise) before BT recabled the house. I have to keep drilling this message home to them.
grrr

Last edited by PiNkEyE69; 14 July 2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 14 July 2006, 07:24 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The speed it says I'm getting is from any speedtest site (including BT's own speedtester)
I don't do "that sort of thing" anymore, I'm a good boy now.
Ok had to make the suggestion just in case !
Old 14 July 2006, 07:38 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mine is still up and down quite a bit, been well past a month as well, pointless complaing at the mo until they pull there fingers out
Old 14 July 2006, 07:57 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

that's more or less what I was getting before BT had ro replace my phone wiring. I was getting between 4 and 5mb a day depending on time of day. That was ok.
Just got of the phone. Repeated all the results and speel again, although this time I told them "Yes I've cleared my cache, yes I've cleared my temporary internet folders". Told him all the further checks I've done.
They're gonna "call me back"
I still say it's the BRAS profile on the exchange. Only thing I know that allow my modem to say 6mb downstream but my physical speed be much much lower.
Apparently this is "common" on non-bt ADSL ISP's - people signing up to 8mb but weeks after still on their original speed (well, I was on 2mb before hand - even that would be a step up although I like the 400k upload for hosting on Xbox Live)
Old 14 July 2006, 09:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Read the small print
You will have a MAXIMUM of 6mb, at other times you will have what you are able to get with the shared bandwidth.
Also the BRAS has nothing to do with the exchange, it goes to a completely different equipment, if your really unfortunate you have a fu****su ADSL equipment rack, if your lucky you will have either a marconi or alcatel rack
Also the only thing the phone wiring has to do with it is deterioration over age, even then your only looking at 15-25m of copper from the box on average, unless you still have the aluminium cable from the 70's?
Basically your limited to what other people are using, if you go on a 3am you will probably get more bandwidth and a quicker speed, though its a little late to stay up for
Oh and what modem have you got??

Tony
Old 15 July 2006, 09:10 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Read the small print
You will have a MAXIMUM of 6mb, at other times you will have what you are able to get with the shared bandwidth.
Also the BRAS has nothing to do with the exchange, it goes to a completely different equipment, if your really unfortunate you have a fu****su ADSL equipment rack, if your lucky you will have either a marconi or alcatel rack
Also the only thing the phone wiring has to do with it is deterioration over age, even then your only looking at 15-25m of copper from the box on average, unless you still have the aluminium cable from the 70's?
Basically your limited to what other people are using, if you go on a 3am you will probably get more bandwidth and a quicker speed, though its a little late to stay up for
Oh and what modem have you got??
Tony
Unfortunatly I feel the "You can get UPTO xyz speed" small print for adsl max has nothing to do with it in this case.
Before BT rewired my house I was getting 4-5MB downstream on the modem and 4-5mb physical speed when downloading on ADSL Max, then after the rewiring the modem shows 6mb downstream but only 1mb physical speed - no matter what time of day I go on - which is lower than my pre-adsl max speed of 2mb with BT. They've done tests their end on the line and have said I am capable of 6mb and if I run BT's speed test it should colabirate that, so they're stumped why all the speed tests only show a speed of 1mb.
Pretty much every cable was replaced by BT. The internal house wiring was redone with a new internal phone socket, 7 months previously BT layed new cable outside to connect houses to the junction box, and they replaced the wiring in the junction box that they said was brittle and likely to cause the noise on the line I was getting (turns out it wasn't that - hence why they redid the wiring in the house which solved the problem).
Forgive my ignorance on where the bras profile lies. I know what it controls (been doing some research into likely causes of my speed problem) but not where it lies. Unforunatly the research is all for nought as BT don't seem interesting in anything thats not on "their problem check sheet"
I've got a Voyager 205.
Cheers.

Last edited by PiNkEyE69; 15 July 2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 15 July 2006, 02:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I think that your modem isnt up to it, I think the minimum requirement is a 220v modem, ask them to send you one

Tony
Old 15 July 2006, 09:58 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I think that your modem isnt up to it, I think the minimum requirement is a 220v modem, ask them to send you one

Tony
ive got the 220v modem, and have got the same problem speedtest ..

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

gives me a download speed of 2512kbh

upload speed 335kbh ....

8m my ****.... ...........
Old 15 July 2006, 10:29 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

My speedtest on that site says Download Speed: 940kbps Upload Speed: 375kbps
But what speed did BT's line checker say you're capable of?
Mine said "at least 4mb" - so anything over 4 I would say is a bonus.
Hell right now 2mb would be a 100% improvement
I ring them yesterday, they said they'd call back. No call back.
Going to ring them in the morning and put my "no BS" face on

Last edited by PiNkEyE69; 15 July 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 15 July 2006, 10:44 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

My speedtest on that site says Download Speed: 940kbps Upload Speed: 375kbps
But what speed did BT's line checker say you're capable of?
Mine said "at least 4mb" - so anything over 4 I would say is a bonus.
Hell right now 2mb would be a 100% improvement
I ring them yesterday, they said they'd call back. No call back.
Going to ring them in the morning and put my "no BS" face on
agree my quote was at least 4mb too....

never had any probs with the 2m line so carnt see the wires being a problem really..it may be down to there end ..its been at least 8 weeks since the upgrade now...ive been told keep the router and pc running to let the line connection settle down..but the transformer plug gets hot...and sometimes when i have left it running ..say when using a torrent program the line disconects
Old 17 July 2006, 12:50 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Do you turn off the modem at night or do you leave it on constantly?

If you turn the modem off every day, then there is a possibilty that the exchange see's it as a disconnection and so can reduce your sync speed. However if you are still showing 6mb then that wont be that.
I would however in your case, turn of the modem for a few mis, then turn back on and let it resync. Despite what others say your connection should not be dropping to less than 1mb when your syncing at 6mb due to contention.
try http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ for a bit of info.

It does sound like when the re wiring was carried out that your bras profile has got stuck (specially if the router was on when the work was being done) Using the above link I think you can get hold of bt in scotland (not india) and they are supposedly more "technical"
Old 18 July 2006, 08:06 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I leave it on constantly. Yes the router/modem was on when they rewired - becuase the buggers didn't tell me that was what they were doing They came out to investigate the noise on the line, I got home from work to find we'd been cut off from the exchange because they were going to lay a new wiring cable into the house.
I used to have a few disconnects when I was in the adsl max "trial" period but I thought that was normal becuase of the various tests they do. However when it carried on for 3-4 weeks coupled with excessive noise on the line I think (bear in mind I have very little knowledge of ADSL and phone signals) that the amount of signal coming down was a but too much bandwidth for the cr@ppy wiring in the house.
I think I've found the other BT number cheers, going to give them a call after work. They did some tests and reset my modem a few times on friday so I thought I'd give it 3 days to see if the BRAS updates (it took 3 days when I first went to ADSL Max), but it hasn't.

On the plus side when it eventually sorts itself out it look positive that the downstream is showing 6mb when before the wiring it could only get upto 5mb as a max

Last edited by PiNkEyE69; 18 July 2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 18 July 2006, 03:26 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to be honest it took longer than 3 days with me more like 12 to finally have a stable connection. I was syncing at well over 6mb however my download speeds would fluctuate wildy sometimes as low as 150kbs (3 x dialup speed) eventually they have now settled and I am synced at 6684kbps with a download of just over 5 mb which is about right with overheads etc.
Old 18 July 2006, 07:18 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Angry

Grr, getting nowhere fast now.
rung their tech line, did al the test again, and got told to ring their 0800 support line as all their tests check out. Thought hmm finally getting somewhere.
Rung there 0800 number, ever Broadband option ends up with an automated message telling me to ring the number I've just been on.
finally got through to an advisor, who then couldn't help me and passed me to their BB technical support people AGAIN. Went through them, they told me to ring the 0800 number.
I've raised a complaint. Unforunatly there's no option in their complain options for "on par with NTL customer support"

Last edited by PiNkEyE69; 19 July 2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 19 July 2006, 07:46 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Result! I think my detailed explanation in my complaint about how my BRAS profile must have locked the max stable speed for my line at 1mb must have got to the right person.
Booted up the 360 this morning and I had some downloads queued. Though they were going very quick. Fired up the PC. Speed check. 4600kbps down Now that's more like it.
Moral of this story, 1 email did the job where 5 phone calls and 1 webchat via their help program didn't
Old 19 July 2006, 07:03 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

whats a BRAS profile ????????????