Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

bl**dy netgear router

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 09:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bl**dy netgear router

sodding thing!!!

it wont make an internet connection.... when its connected to the pc..

if i connect it in with the network cable disconnected, it connects.. as soon as i put the network cable in and try to connect it drops the carrier and wont reconnect :grr:

i reset the modem and tried to reinstall it. :grr::grr: (if i ever meet the person who wrote this pile of cr*p they call an installation cd, they,l need surgery to remove it!!!!

you only get one shot at installation, and if it fails you have to go all the way back to the beggining and wait 2 miutes to read every page, FFS!!! and half the pages are crap, have you plugged in the phone, have you plugged in the power FFS YES I SODDING WELL HAVE!!!!!!!

and then it says cant find an adsl signal, start again.

FFS is other netgear stuff this bad???

any ideas??? or is the router kaput, (4 weeks old btw)

Mart
Old 24 June 2006, 11:05 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360

if i connect it in with the network cable disconnected, it connects.. as soon as i put the network cable in and try to connect it drops the carrier and wont reconnect :grr:

Mart
are you trying to connect wired and wireless at the same time?

what are you trying to install from the cd? drivers for the wireless adapter?

rest of it should be done by web interface

Old 24 June 2006, 11:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

ermm the router connect automatically... not..

i turn it on it self checks ok.... it finds the wireless app and lights up, it finds the network and lights up, it finds the adsl line and wont connect, just keeps dropping the connection and resetting..... unplug the network cable, and it finds the web and locks on.... so after resetting the router, its run the tortuous setup programme, only for it to say cand find the adsl line and you have to start again ..... so you go throught he same crap, but leave the network cable out, and connect it when its looking for the adsl line, and it finds it (good) then it trys to configure the router to take care of the dial in stuff.. but then the router drops the adsl line (network cable plugged in) so it goes round in circles...

well pi**ed off

mart
Old 24 June 2006, 11:59 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

just to claify when you say network cable you mean the phone connection thats plugging into the router? or an ethernet cable that connects from your PC to the router

i think first thing here is to ascertain if it's the wireless connection that's dropping out or the actual net connection so

disbale wireless on pc, restart router and connect PC to router using ethernet cable (one should have come with the router) does it work with a wired connection (make sure wireless is disabled on pc)
Old 25 June 2006, 12:07 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
just to claify when you say network cable you mean the phone connection thats plugging into the router? or an ethernet cable that connects from your PC to the router

i think first thing here is to ascertain if it's the wireless connection that's dropping out or the actual net connection so

disbale wireless on pc, restart router and connect PC to router using ethernet cable (one should have come with the router) does it work with a wired connection (make sure wireless is disabled on pc)
network cable.... ethernet from router to pc,, unplug that and the router connects..

wireless is for lappy which isnt turned on, so its not that..

and no it dosent work with a wired connection

mart
Old 25 June 2006, 12:17 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

yes that is odd to say the least, so router will only connect to wireless lappy and then not for long. Why the router disconnects as soon as the ethernet is plugged in is beyond me. Havent dabbled much with netgear but the times i have i haven't had any problems so i could only second guess at what the problem is....firmware, dodgy NIC on PC broadcasting junk? Tried every port on router???

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/

that may be your best port of call, out of internet what model is it and what ISP are you with? The netgear site may have a walkthrough to get you through the setup part of it to ensure no errors on configuration

Last edited by mike1210; 25 June 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 25 June 2006, 12:23 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
yes that is odd to say the least, so router will only connect to wireless lappy and then not for long. Why the router disconnects as soon as the ethernet is plugged in is beyond me. Havent dabbled much with netgear but the times i have i haven't had any problems so i could only second guess at what the problem is....firmware, dodgy NIC on PC broadcasting junk? Tried every port on router???

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/

that may be your best port of call, out of internet what model is it and what ISP are you with? The netgear site may have a walkthrough to get you through the setup part of it to ensure no errors on configuration
dont know if it connecty on lappy, never actually tried that part... prhaps i should, it would confirm if router is fubar

Mart
Old 25 June 2006, 12:27 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

if i was in that situation i would factory reset the router

# try to access the router form a wired connection to set up the router
# if the web interface can be accessed set up the router again from the web interface (no drivers should be needed for this) just type in 192.168.xxx.xxx (cant remember the netgear address) and go through the setup. Typical setups should be available on the netgear site
Old 25 June 2006, 01:48 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

fubarred

cant get it to recognise the adsl line

back to the shops

hey ho

Mart