Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mozilla Thunderbird

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2006, 02:59 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mozilla Thunderbird

Hi all,

I've been wanting to change from Outlook Express for a while now. Only thing that held me back was the large amount of (fairly important) mail and I had it easily setup to back and syncronise with my laptop.

So, what opinions do people have of Mozilla Thunderbird? Does anybody transfer mail to another computer/laptop - how does it handle that?

Cheers,

J
Old 18 June 2006, 06:29 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh tbird is much better than outlook imo. The biggest plus is it is completely customisable as firefox is, so you can use loads of useful extensions, and skin it with great looking themes, like Noia 2. Tbird has an automatic import feature, so transferring over your emails and accounts is a synch. Just try it out, if u dont like it, uninstall it n revert back to outlook.
Old 18 June 2006, 07:11 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I have it installled and transfering data over was very easy.

I like the way it's much more configurable than OE. Not sure how easy it would be to go back....not that I would want to right now.

Just tried transferring data to Mac laptop - no go. But I think I should be able to transfer to another PC okay.

A little lack of Export features.....for easily backing up settings.
Old 19 June 2006, 03:00 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get utils for backing up your mail, like EZ Thunderbird backup pro or something similar.

As for synching to your mac, I'm sure you can get an extension to do this, but I haven't done it before so not totally sure.
Old 19 June 2006, 03:17 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I installed it and it brought across everything from Outlook beautifully. However after a few days I just found it unreliable in terms of sending emails (do have ISP problems from time to time) but always managed to get stuff in/out via Outlook so in the end dumped it.

Gary