Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Converting to wireless- help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2006, 11:50 AM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to wireless- help needed

Hi All
Currently I have an ADSL Modem router ( not cable ), which is connected to the three pc's in my house by Cat 5.
My dad has just bought a new laptop with inbuilt wireless connectivity, and I have a thinkpad which I also wish to use on the wireless NW I propose to set up.
What do I use to connect my current router, I wish to keep this as there is no need for my desktop pc's to go wireless, but need my 2 laptops to connect wireless.
I appeciate that I will need 1 wireless pcmcia card for my thinkpad, but what do I do about sending the signal from my router ( etec 10/100 Router with 4 ethernet connections and 1 usb).
Also cheap supplier information would be appreciated, as I would rather not pay PC world prices
Thanks All
Ray
Old 07 June 2006, 12:39 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to keep your current ADSL router, just buy a wireless router.
Wire the ADSL router to the wireless router ( setup wireless security on it).
Old 07 June 2006, 12:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a Wireless Router Modem, I am today after spending ages fiddling trying to get all of mine working correctly via an ADSL Router/modem and a wireless router, to complicated with separate DHCP servers and all the other stuff, I can get by with networking but was struggling, for the sake of sixty quid its worth the reduction in aggro, i.e. two admin screens, two user/password combos etc.