Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Urgent help required - IIS and folder permissions

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2006, 02:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Urgent help required - IIS and folder permissions

Hi,

I have a dedicated server, inside www root folder are some folders owned by a friend, then all my sites live inside a folder called 'rb' all the top level sites still function but non of mine now do.

I must have changed some file/folder permissions on the top level as they are all now screwed, I get asked for a username/password to connec to any site.

The only option I can see is to recreate every single one. It wont even let me copy the files across as though all the subfolders and files have this sodding persmission set.

Does anyone have any idea what I might have done and how to fix it.
I don't under this IUSR user concept, its never been required before and everything worked until about 2 hours ago....

Now I have about 30 sites down. lol (****!)

Any rapid repsonse gratefully received!

Rich

(Mac user who should stay away from PCs and servers in particular )
Old 02 June 2006, 03:14 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

before you panic - just check that you haven't turned anonymous access off in IIS manager

Click on the Web-site you want to check and choose properties, go to directory security and choose Anonymous Access and authentication control

Anonymous access is the top box and it should be ticked.

If you have screwed up the directory rights - you need to sign in as the local admin and navigate to the wwwroot directory (or whichever you've used) and check that the IUSER account had Read, List Folder contents and execute rights in the directory , (plus explicity DENY write) and sub-directories (click on advanced to reset all sub-directories at the same time - be SURE you want to do this).

You right click, choose properties, security to check the rights on the directory
Old 02 June 2006, 03:31 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

panic over.... somehow the ownership had got screwed on a load of the folders, after I reset ownership back to administrator I was then able to push the permissions to all child objects and everything starting working again....

Thanks for the comment Kieran - I had checked all that before....