Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Changing over ide cables and master/slave settings...

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2006, 11:52 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=**************

Why does changing master/slave settings mess up the boot process? Isn't XP/the bios clever enough to learn the changes that have been made?
[/quote]

Depends on how you're BIOS is set-up for the devices on those IDE cables. In other words the BIOS may not be set-up to auto-detect the devices. Also each device will have jumpers on the back determining if they are connected to the Master or Slave connectors on the IDE cables.
Old 30 April 2006, 01:34 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
OK will check the bios but sure its auto detect. The jumpers shouldn't matter though should they as I removed all 4 devices off the two ide channels, changed the jumper settings and then plugged them back in in a different order to how they had been? Its this different order is doesn't seem to like as though its looking for the bootable device instead of knowing where it is immediately, ie looking on the ide channel of what used to be the bootable device and finding a cd rom and then having to search the other conencted devices to locate the OS.
If you have indeed matched the device jumper to the correct connector, then no. But be aware that with hard drives you run the risk of changing the identity of how the Hard drive is seen. For example:

Seagate 120GB hard drive is originally HDisk0 (located IDE 0 Master)
Hitachi 60GB Hard Drive is originally HDisk1 (located IDE 0 slave)

BIOS would be set in this configuration to boot:

CDROM, floppy, Hdisk0

You now swap over the Seagate with the Hitachi. The Hitachi is now seen as Hdisk0.

I hope that makes sense?
Old 30 April 2006, 02:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Well yeah thats whats happened and this is what seems to be causing the delay on boot with the bios now searching for what drive has gone where.
Sounds to me you're using the CS (Cable Select) jumper.

I would set each jumper to each device as either MASTER or Slave. CS isn't very good.