Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can I build a PC from used parts?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2006, 07:53 PM
Clawador
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I build a PC from used parts?

Hi all, this is my first post on Scooby ( I didn't even know it was a site for cars).

I want to build my own computer cos I've never tried it before and I though that maybe I could build one just using used components.

I want to put together a Pentium4 or equivelant for under £100, reading a couple of other posts, people are talking about £300+ and for the same money they can buy it ready built - but they are talking about using new parts I think.

How much do the parts cost used? I got lucky with my present computer ( it's an AMD Athlon 1.3Ghz) because I found a copy of Windows XP for £40 (upgrade edition - but it installs fine by borrowing someone elses genune copy of Windows). I'm sure I could find a copy of Windows 98 for about £20 - I missed out on a copy for just £5 yesterday (yep, GENUINE UNREGISTERED copy).

Also, I've been looking for an old cheap laptop - just a pentium1. I found an old 486 at a car-boot sale for £10 but it was duff (damn liar!) How much do they cost or are they all obsolete/broken down by now?
Old 28 April 2006, 11:31 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can use second-hand componants, but it's a risk. Best to buy from someone you know.

As for lappies, a working one that is at least a Pentium will probably go for at least £150, no matter how old.

M