Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can you legally sell an operating system once activated?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2006, 02:30 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you legally sell an operating system once activated?

Can you legally sell an operating system you no longer use, if it's been activated?

A friend has x64 which he is fed up of (he can't find any wireless LAN drivers that work with x64 and his digital camera isn't compatible with it) and is going to drop it around to me tonight to put XP 32-bit back onto it. This is the end of a long list of problems with it, he has already changed his motherboard and processor and upgraded his memory twice.

x64 has been activated (but was not registered) after it has been installed, is it still worth anything to anyone!?

If it is I might sell mine as I can't get it to work with my scanner, webcam and it won't work with Acrobat so I can't create .pdf's!
I'd create a dual boot system with 98SE (which I also have the license for) but that won't work with my RAID drive!
Old 19 April 2006, 02:53 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Strange, I have had x64 on for months without one missing driver, including a canon ip8500 printer, 300D DSLR, scanner, pocket pc etc.

I did have to search for them, but had no problems.
Old 19 April 2006, 03:26 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

As long as it is a RETAIL pack, not OEM, then don't see why not.
I know M$ are trying to stop it though.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:04 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

all the new owner has to do is install it on there system, it will probably fail the online activation just ring microsoft and say the hardware has been upgraded or changed due to a fault on the other hardware. I have done this many times with my legitimate copy of xp home, I probably change either my mobo or processor every 6 months or so no problems or questions asked
Old 19 April 2006, 04:10 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil
As long as it is a RETAIL pack, not OEM, then don't see why not.
Yep, it's the retail pack in a DVD type case.

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
all the new owner has to do is install it on there system, it will probably fail the online activation just ring microsoft and say the hardware has been upgraded or changed due to a fault on the other hardware...
I've re-installed someone elses PC before and his has the same issues as above - it usually involves a phone call to some Indian call centre to get it sorted (via a 0845 local rate call)!
Last time I phoned up they asked for the PC model number, type and where it was bought from. The desktop is a Dell unit with XP product key sticker on it so I would have thought it would not have this problem.

Thanks for your comments guys BTW.

Anyone interested in purchasing it? Cost near £100, best offer secures.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedydaveb
Last time I phoned up they asked for the PC model number, type and where it was bought from. The desktop is a Dell unit with XP product key sticker on it so I would have thought it would not have this problem.

Thanks for your comments guys BTW.

Anyone interested in purchasing it? Cost near £100, best offer secures.
I had that when I had to reinstall xp pro on a works pc. Asked me various details like that, and then told me to contact the supplier for a new licence or something (cant remember exact details)
However, a copy bought from the likes of pc world etc wont have those kinds of problems as it is a generic version instead of one tailoured for a certain manufacturer

Last edited by jaytc2003; 19 April 2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:31 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Could sell it with the stipulation that the next owner tells Microsoft that he has bought the PC off someone and needs it activating in his/her name.