Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ADSL keeps disconnecting

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 07:54 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADSL keeps disconnecting

Could it be that my ADSL is knackered? If my pc has been on for around 20 minutes, I sometimes keep losing the connection to broadband. When I then try to reconnect, I get the message that the modem is unable to connect. When I go to the ADSL info page, it tells me that hte ADSL is connected and is working fine.
PC has an AMD Duron processer and the ADSL is the one I got from tiscali. Is it possible to just buy a different type and set up my pc to use that?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 18 April 2006, 08:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
Could it be that my ADSL is knackered? If my pc has been on for around 20 minutes, I sometimes keep losing the connection to broadband. When I then try to reconnect, I get the message that the modem is unable to connect. When I go to the ADSL info page, it tells me that hte ADSL is connected and is working fine.
PC has an AMD Duron processer and the ADSL is the one I got from tiscali. Is it possible to just buy a different type and set up my pc to use that?

Any advice appreciated.
How are you connecting to the ADSL connection:

A)... USB MODEM connected to the PC?

B)... PCI ADSL Card connected to the PC?

C)... Via A wireless Router with a ADSL MODEM built in?

Basically need more info
Old 18 April 2006, 08:17 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Any advice appreciated.
the same happens to mine i am on 4 mb wanadoo - its pants as you have to restart to get it working again
Old 18 April 2006, 08:40 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Sounds like incorrect MTU settings

Can you access ebay OK ?
Old 18 April 2006, 09:58 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

same here, it keeps "network cable unplugged"
Old 18 April 2006, 10:39 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

How are you connecting to the ADSL connection:

A)... USB MODEM connected to the PC?
Thats the one!

I've done a little research and tiscali reckon it could be that there isn't enough power going to the usb ports Now, i've had this set up for a couple of years now and never had a problem before so i'm not sure its that. I have a 4 way USB hub which has my camera link and adsl to it at the minute. This seems to be functioning fine as all the correct indication lights are on.
Old 18 April 2006, 10:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Thats the one!

I've done a little research and tiscali reckon it could be that there isn't enough power going to the usb ports Now, i've had this set up for a couple of years now and never had a problem before so i'm not sure its that. I have a 4 way USB hub which has my camera link and adsl to it at the minute. This seems to be functioning fine as all the correct indication lights are on.
Looking at other posts on here. It appears to be a common problem. I wonder if BT are doing anything with the Exchanges? Or has Wanadoo not got enough bandwith for evryone.
Old 19 April 2006, 09:56 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Looking at other posts on here. It appears to be a common problem. I wonder if BT are doing anything with the Exchanges? Or has Wanadoo not got enough bandwith for evryone.
You mean like upgrading them all to support MaxDSL? Wouldn't surprise me if there were some issues during the upgrade process.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:12 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if it is a usb modem then you need to go into system properties and then device manager. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for USB Root Hub. Check the properties on all of these and go to the power management tab. Uncheck the option that says allow computer
to turn off device.
After a period of inactivity (20 mins would certainly qualify for this) the device will go into a standby or low power mode. When you attempt to use it it cannot return back to full consumption (usually a disconnect from pc and replace or even reboot). Best thing to do is get away from the usb modems as they are not the best. A router is the best option (plug multiple pc's in as well)

The MTU wont cause the connection dropping out, only the speed in what pages are displayed

Last edited by jaytc2003; 19 April 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:17 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

it also could be that your have to many devices connected to usb ports and your power supply is beginning to fail under the load.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:33 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
You mean like upgrading them all to support MaxDSL? Wouldn't surprise me if there were some issues during the upgrade process.
Possibly. Bit strange that others are having issues. Wouldn't be surprised if Wanadoo didn't know about the exchange upgrades.
Old 19 April 2006, 07:00 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice. I will try the reccomendations.