Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

laptop battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 10:02 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laptop battery issue

my neices laptop keeps shutting down at random intervals when its not plugged into the main. I have had a quick look at it, it quite obviously appears to be battery related.

When running from the mains, the battery charges, or at least thats what the power-meter is telling me, the battery reaches 100%. If i then unplug the laptop from the mains, the battery power-meter goes from 100% to 0% in about 5mins, you can actually see the power-meter counting down from 100% to 89% to 68% etc...

I think the battery is either not holding the charge or the laptop is not charging the battery ? Given that the power options indicate that the battery is being charged.

Do you think is a case of the battery not holding the charge ? How can i prove this without buying another battery ?

thanks
Old 15 April 2006, 10:10 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
my neices laptop keeps shutting down at random intervals when its not plugged into the main. I have had a quick look at it, it quite obviously appears to be battery related.

When running from the mains, the battery charges, or at least thats what the power-meter is telling me, the battery reaches 100%. If i then unplug the laptop from the mains, the battery power-meter goes from 100% to 0% in about 5mins, you can actually see the power-meter counting down from 100% to 89% to 68% etc...

I think the battery is either not holding the charge or the laptop is not charging the battery ? Given that the power options indicate that the battery is being charged.

Do you think is a case of the battery not holding the charge ? How can i prove this without buying another battery ?

thanks
How long have you had the laptop and battery for? If a couple of years then I would say the battery. Or how often is the laptop used with the battery only. Most batteries can be charged an discharged 500 times or so.

The only way you will know is to buy a new battery.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:21 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
How long have you had the laptop and battery for? If a couple of years then I would say the battery. Or how often is the laptop used with the battery only. Most batteries can be charged an discharged 500 times or so.

The only way you will know is to buy a new battery.
The laptop has been owned about 2 years, so you are probably right !
Old 28 April 2006, 08:19 PM
Clawador
Scooby Newbie

It sounds like the battery is just worn out, but beware of counterfeit batteries!
When you buy a new one I reccommend only buying from a trusted store.