Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell dimension 1100 - few questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2006, 12:13 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dell dimension 1100 - few questions ??

Okay folks looking to update my currant pc and having been looking around the press lately was impressed with the spec / price on the Dell Dimension 1100 with its 19" flat screen monitor all for only £349 delivered.

so okay from doing a little searching on here I have learned that Dell computers in general have a fairly good reputation so thats good, not so good on there customer service helplines which I found out earlier on this evening !!

couple off questions guys if anyone can help me out ??

1/ Want to fit a dvd writer to this pc - have heard that dell computers can only use Dell dvd writers is this correct ??

2/ memory if I want to upgrade the memory at a later stage from its currant 512 can I use non dell oe memory ??

3/ can a pc off this spec normally play most up to date computer games or will fancy graphics cards etc be required ?? ( dont intened to play many games due to also owning a psp / psx2 but it would be nice to know that it would play them if required !! )

think thats it !!! if anyone can just advise me on any off the above then that would be great, think that given the price then this spec off computer / monitor would be very hard to beat unless anyone knows better ?? anyone ??!!

cheers,
john
Old 26 April 2006, 01:28 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay folks looking to update my currant pc and having been looking around the press lately was impressed with the spec / price on the Dell Dimension 1100 with its 19" flat screen monitor all for only £349 delivered.

so okay from doing a little searching on here I have learned that Dell computers in general have a fairly good reputation so thats good, not so good on there customer service helplines which I found out earlier on this evening !!

couple off questions guys if anyone can help me out ??

1/ Want to fit a dvd writer to this pc - have heard that dell computers can only use Dell dvd writers is this correct ??

2/ memory if I want to upgrade the memory at a later stage from its currant 512 can I use non dell oe memory ??

3/ can a pc off this spec normally play most up to date computer games or will fancy graphics cards etc be required ?? ( dont intened to play many games due to also owning a psp / psx2 but it would be nice to know that it would play them if required !! )

think thats it !!! if anyone can just advise me on any off the above then that would be great, think that given the price then this spec off computer / monitor would be very hard to beat unless anyone knows better ?? anyone ??!!

cheers,
john

Ermmmm,personally,I'd steer clear of the 1100 as it's a basic machine and has no PCI-E slot so the only graphics card upgrade you could do would be to fit a standard PCI card and most of those now are limited in supply as well as performance.I'd recommend the Dimension 5150 assuming you can find a good deal on one as you have a PCI-E slot in that so it does allow a graphics card upgrade should you wish?

Of all the Dells I've bought and sold,the 5150's and 9150's have been the best (I have one of each at home).
I rate Dell systems very highly as they are very reliable and more importantly,very quiet.
As to your questions,whoever told you that re dvd writers is talking through their backside as Dell do not even make a DVD writer! lol
Normally,they supply their systems with NEC drives but don't upgrade on their website as they charge you circa £60.A Pioneer 111d is available from SVP for £24 plus delivery now.
For memory,and trust me on this one,use Crucial as they aren't the cheapest but compatibility wise,they are the best and you won't suffer any system hangs etc etc with memory from them!
Games - No chance of an 1100 running any of the latest games even if you 'upgraded' to a PCI graphics card.

Do you have the e-value code of the system you're interested in and I'll take a look?

Good luck

Nick
Old 26 April 2006, 08:37 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Ermmmm,personally,I'd steer clear of the 1100 as it's a basic machine and has no PCI-E slot so the only graphics card upgrade you could do would be to fit a standard PCI card and most of those now are limited in supply as well as performance.I'd recommend the Dimension 5150 assuming you can find a good deal on one as you have a PCI-E slot in that so it does allow a graphics card upgrade should you wish?

Of all the Dells I've bought and sold,the 5150's and 9150's have been the best (I have one of each at home).
I rate Dell systems very highly as they are very reliable and more importantly,very quiet.
As to your questions,whoever told you that re dvd writers is talking through their backside as Dell do not even make a DVD writer! lol
Normally,they supply their systems with NEC drives but don't upgrade on their website as they charge you circa £60.A Pioneer 111d is available from SVP for £24 plus delivery now.
For memory,and trust me on this one,use Crucial as they aren't the cheapest but compatibility wise,they are the best and you won't suffer any system hangs etc etc with memory from them!
Games - No chance of an 1100 running any of the latest games even if you 'upgraded' to a PCI graphics card.

Do you have the e-value code of the system you're interested in and I'll take a look?

Good luck

Nick
Hi nick first off all thanks for your long and detailed reply to my questions !!
okay mate will give you the e-value code which is : NPUK5-D04116 its part off the ones that are advertised almost daily now in the national press, the currant offer is due to run out on the 26th off this month but feel sure that a similar or even better offer will be available from this day onwards from Dell !!!

okay thats fine about the dvd writer did notice that particular one you refered to and yes it certainly does seem a very good buy- couple off things regards this thou -

1/ is there a spare slot in the Dimensions 1100 tower to accomadate a writer or do you simply remove the cd writer slot in and replace ??

2/ easy enough to fit ??!!

memory - okay to be honest for what I intend to use the pc for I feel that the 512MB supplied is going to be more than enough, but encouraging to know that upgrade memory should I require it at a later date is available.

from looking at the advert whilst typing this nick I should point out that part off DElls offer just now with the 1100 model is double ram ( 512 as opposed to the stanadrd 256 ) and the hard drive is 80 gb as opposed to 40 GB ) wonder if you are aware off this spec / offer price ?? again do personally feel that it really is a bargain and the 19" flat panel monitor does really sound very nice !!!

you mention the 5150 and 9150 models - not too sure on these particular ones nick ?? I notice that the 9150 is advertised in the same add at £749 again with hard drive and memory upgrade but with a 17" monitor at £749 looks a lovely spec mate but unfortuanetely just out off my price range just now !!

not too sure about the 5150 version will check it out on dells website.

just to add that part off Dells offer just now is to even supply a free 725 colour printer !! not sure if these printers use the expensive type cartridges or the cheap epsom replacments ones any idea ??

think that is it mate ??!! to be honest on thinking about it again not overly bothered about the possible graphics card problems and you reckon that even upgraing the graphics card would still not allow these latest games to be played yes ?? ( not enough memory or what nick ?? ) probably would not use the machine for gaming anyway ( psp & psx2 owner !! ) guess this machine may just be the next pc within the spare room off the house !!

thanks again nick,
john
Old 26 April 2006, 11:14 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Hi nick first off all thanks for your long and detailed reply to my questions !!
okay mate will give you the e-value code which is : NPUK5-D04116 its part off the ones that are advertised almost daily now in the national press, the currant offer is due to run out on the 26th off this month but feel sure that a similar or even better offer will be available from this day onwards from Dell !!!

okay thats fine about the dvd writer did notice that particular one you refered to and yes it certainly does seem a very good buy- couple off things regards this thou -

1/ is there a spare slot in the Dimensions 1100 tower to accomadate a writer or do you simply remove the cd writer slot in and replace ??

2/ easy enough to fit ??!!

memory - okay to be honest for what I intend to use the pc for I feel that the 512MB supplied is going to be more than enough, but encouraging to know that upgrade memory should I require it at a later date is available.

from looking at the advert whilst typing this nick I should point out that part off DElls offer just now with the 1100 model is double ram ( 512 as opposed to the stanadrd 256 ) and the hard drive is 80 gb as opposed to 40 GB ) wonder if you are aware off this spec / offer price ?? again do personally feel that it really is a bargain and the 19" flat panel monitor does really sound very nice !!!

you mention the 5150 and 9150 models - not too sure on these particular ones nick ?? I notice that the 9150 is advertised in the same add at £749 again with hard drive and memory upgrade but with a 17" monitor at £749 looks a lovely spec mate but unfortuanetely just out off my price range just now !!

not too sure about the 5150 version will check it out on dells website.

just to add that part off Dells offer just now is to even supply a free 725 colour printer !! not sure if these printers use the expensive type cartridges or the cheap epsom replacments ones any idea ??

think that is it mate ??!! to be honest on thinking about it again not overly bothered about the possible graphics card problems and you reckon that even upgraing the graphics card would still not allow these latest games to be played yes ?? ( not enough memory or what nick ?? ) probably would not use the machine for gaming anyway ( psp & psx2 owner !! ) guess this machine may just be the next pc within the spare room off the house !!

thanks again nick,
john

Evenin John,
Just had a look at that machine and to be honest,the spec is pretty horrid.Only a Celeron processor,CDROM drive....
I'd personally say to wait as Dells prices change around 6am on a Thursday morning so there could well be some bargains as from tomorrow. (Especially with it being a bank holiday weekend)
DVD writers are dead easy to fit in any of the Dells so don't let that put you off buying one that's not already specced with one!
The 1100 looks like it has 3x 5.25in drive bays (Two of which are standard bays and the third is available for a slot loading dvd drive although these are probably hard to come by now!)
The Dimension 5150's and 9150's both have 2x 5.25in drive bays and as far as Dells desktop model structure goes,the 1100 is the base model,then the 3100,then 5150 and then the 9150.
The E196FP monitors included in the deal you mention are pretty decent monitors to be honest and at one stage,used to retail at ca £262 on their own.They only have analogue inputs (NO DVI) but don't let that put you off as I personally think the Dell monitors are very nice and very clear/sharp (Even when running through a standard dsub connector)
You mention the 9150 at £749 - Yep,forget it cos it's overpriced.When I bought my 9150 late last year,I paid £480 delivered and that was with a 3.2ghz processor,160gb hard drive,512mb ram,media card reader,CDRW/DVDROM and a 17in flat panel (E176FP)

Also,don't bother with the Dell printers are they are rebadged Lexmarks and the replacement cartridges are very expensive.Just to give you an idea,last year (And also just recently) the 725 printers were £9.95 delivered from Dell so I bought a couple,one for the in-laws and one which I gave to a friend of mine so that gives you an idea of their worth!!

If you upgraded the graphics card in the 1100 then you still wouldn't be able to play any of the latest games as it's PCI card only for that model.

As I mentioned earlier,hold out and I'll check the e-value codes tomorrow and see if there's anything suitable for you at a sensible price!! (Dells prices can fluctuate quite a bit but normally the 1100's remain around the same price each week anyway)

What's the max amount you wanna spend?
Old 26 April 2006, 11:38 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Hi nick yet again thanks for your very informative reply you obviously know the DEll computer very well !!

okay phoned up Dells sales HQ earler on today to enquire about the 5150 you mentioned in your last reply to me and was told which one ?? apparantly there are quote " 19 differeent versions off the 5150 " !!!

obviously just different combinations off spec with the same pc.

so okay asked for the best price for the entry model off 5150 and this came in at around £570 if I remember right ?? after explaining that I was actually going to purchase a pc by credit card with them today, they certainly started to offer me some better sounding deals !!

in the end nick I ended up with the 5150 with the 80gb h/d, 512 ram, faster processor model ( whatever that means - not a lot to me to be honest !! ) 17" monitor, cd / dvd writer, macfree a/v software along with a few other titles, dell speakers, optical mouse, a better printer that is currantly being offered apparantly has printing and scanning facilities but no doubt uses the expensive cartridges like you mention !!!

got the lot for £505 delivered nick which may be a good price for the spec off PC I have purchased ?? but as I explained in my first post there does seem to be so many pc offers on just now ( not just with dell ) that picking one means you will always find a better spec one cheaper elsewhere after it !!

so its the 5150 like you recomended nick and hopefully if its anything like my ancient packard bell club 66 then it will serve me well for many troublefree years !!!!!!!!

any commenst on my latest credit card top up nick ??!!
Old 26 April 2006, 11:47 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

£505 sounds a little expensive to me.Don't suppose you have the e-value code for that one do you and I'll check it out? (It should be on your order acknowledgement if you've received it by email yet? - Normally a pdf attachment to an email)
Not sure I mentioned above,but I got a 5150 the other week for £404 delivered.I sold it at cost to a friend of mine whom I owed a favour.Spec was:

P4 3.2ghz cpu
512mb ram
80 hard disk
CDRW/DVDROM
256 X600 graphics card (It's an ok card but nothin special)
17in flat panel

If something does come up better tomorrow I'll pm you as you'll be able to cancel the order from today and re-order the new one,assuming you can be arsed to do it (I managed to get one of the guys at work to cancel his order for an 1100 the other week and he re-ordered a 5150 with a much better spec for similar money - He obviously learnt his lesson to speak to me before ordering!! lol)
Old 27 April 2006, 09:53 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Maybe time to cancel your order John??

How about this for £399 delivered?

(D04516a) Dimension 5150 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with DualCore Technology (2.80GHz,800MHz fsb,2x1MB cache), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Unit Price Incl. VAT £338.99
Catalog Number: 202
Module Description Show Details
Base Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with DualCore Technology (2.80GHz,800MHz fsb,2x1MB cache)
Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Memory 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz (2x512) Memory
Keyboard Dell Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
Monitor Dell E196FP 19" Midnight Grey (TCO99) Flat Panel Monitor
Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 80GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
Floppy Drives No Floppy Drive
Mouse Dell USB 2 Button Wheel Mouse
Modem No Modem
CD/DVD Drives 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Cards Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
Speakers No Speakers
Shipping Documents System Documentation with UK Power Cord
Gedis Bundle Reference List D04516a Dimension 5150
Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 7.0
Standard Warranty 1-Year Collect and Return service
Cover It with Dell Support Services No service upgrade selected - 1-Year Collect and Return service only
AntiVirus & Security Software No Security/Anti-Virus Software
Digital Photography No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software
Order Information Dimension Order - UK
Money Off Savings Save £100 inc VAT
Dell System Media Kit No Resource CD
Dell Media Experience No DMX Media Experience
Adobe Reader Adobe Reader 6.0 - English
Promotions Hidden Option Class Reporting -512MB RAM FREE - Double Memory Promo
Promotions Hidden Option Class Free Monitor Upgrade from 17"FP to 19"FP
Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Old 27 April 2006, 02:43 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijak the thread, but Ive been told you can't get into the Dell towers without the proper kit. This is to put people off adding their own parts - i.e. DVD writers for 25 quid rather than paying them 88 for one.

Have you ever got into yours Nick? If you can, I think I would be seriously tempted by one of the 5150's too!

Cheers

Steve
Old 27 April 2006, 05:36 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijak the thread, but Ive been told you can't get into the Dell towers without the proper kit. This is to put people off adding their own parts - i.e. DVD writers for 25 quid rather than paying them 88 for one.

lol at that scare story Steve!!
Yes,I have been into both my 5150 and 9150 (And quite a few others too) and installed either NEC or Pioneer dvd writers without a problem.Not sure where you've heard that but it's complete b0llocks!!

Good luck

P.S: Also,remember the processor on the above system is a dual core 2.8ghz and can be 'upgraded' (Should you wish - Dual Core is the newer technology though) for about £25 to a 3.2ghz P4

Last edited by NickAdams; 27 April 2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 28 April 2006, 09:19 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nick.

Do you need anything special to get into the case - or is it just a normal screw driver or alan key mate?
Old 28 April 2006, 09:22 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally on Dell's you don't even need a screwdriver to get into them.
Old 28 April 2006, 10:24 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Normally on Dell's you don't even need a screwdriver to get into them.
As Ozzy says you don't need a screwdriver to get into the case...
Dead easy to change the dvd drive anyway
Old 28 April 2006, 11:32 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

Well if fancied something other than a Dell I have just ordered this for my brother:-

http://www.panrix.co.uk/Pages/produc...SystemID=80997
Old 28 April 2006, 09:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Maybe time to cancel your order John??

How about this for £399 delivered?

(D04516a) Dimension 5150 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with DualCore Technology (2.80GHz,800MHz fsb,2x1MB cache), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Unit Price Incl. VAT £338.99
Catalog Number: 202
Module Description Show Details
Base Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with DualCore Technology (2.80GHz,800MHz fsb,2x1MB cache)
Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Memory 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz (2x512) Memory
Keyboard Dell Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
Monitor Dell E196FP 19" Midnight Grey (TCO99) Flat Panel Monitor
Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 80GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
Floppy Drives No Floppy Drive
Mouse Dell USB 2 Button Wheel Mouse
Modem No Modem
CD/DVD Drives 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Cards Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
Speakers No Speakers
Shipping Documents System Documentation with UK Power Cord
Gedis Bundle Reference List D04516a Dimension 5150
Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 7.0
Standard Warranty 1-Year Collect and Return service
Cover It with Dell Support Services No service upgrade selected - 1-Year Collect and Return service only
AntiVirus & Security Software No Security/Anti-Virus Software
Digital Photography No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software
Order Information Dimension Order - UK
Money Off Savings Save £100 inc VAT
Dell System Media Kit No Resource CD
Dell Media Experience No DMX Media Experience
Adobe Reader Adobe Reader 6.0 - English
Promotions Hidden Option Class Reporting -512MB RAM FREE - Double Memory Promo
Promotions Hidden Option Class Free Monitor Upgrade from 17"FP to 19"FP
Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec

Pm sent nick, probs with Dells customer service already mate and pc has not even arrived yet, advice much appreciatted !!