Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows Vista

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 12:17 PM
SamanthaJ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Vista

Has anyone seen this new version of windows?

Any idea when it is coming out, and when i have to hide my pc from stupid alerts to more and more security patches it will probably cause?

I am interesed in it though, may download it, lol!
Old 12 April 2006, 12:20 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The betas have been out since 2004 for download
Old 12 April 2006, 12:24 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am interesed in it though
get a grip, its a microsoft product....

Dazza
Old 12 April 2006, 12:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its a 'release candidate' now; but if its anything like this copy of Internet Explorer 7 Im using Id steer well clear!

Simon
Old 12 April 2006, 12:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Its a 'release candidate' now; but if its anything like this copy of Internet Explorer 7 Im using Id steer well clear!

Simon
IE7 didn't stay on my PC very long.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:52 PM
ChrisB

Early 2007 for the retail release.
Old 12 April 2006, 01:01 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
What do you expect from a beta?
Old 12 April 2006, 01:05 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Early 2007. Buy Halo2 pc game get Vista free. Or, go to the cinema when Halo the movie is out, hand the stub to the casier & they will exchange it with a copy of vista
Old 12 April 2006, 01:27 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
No version of IE should stay on any PC for long. Firefox all the way
Old 12 April 2006, 01:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3
No version of IE should stay on any PC for long. Firefox all the way
It's nice, but it's got a load of bugs, and it's had a few pretty nasty security holes exposed, (it's no safer than IE in my opinion). I also get it to crash quite regularly...
Old 12 April 2006, 02:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

And you need a decent specced PC. Have a look here for details:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/04/04...ta-capable_pc/
Old 12 April 2006, 02:24 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I'm looking forward to the scrollable 3d folders though, will be superb for my work where I have hundreds of manuals with folders full of drawings and 3D renders.
Old 12 April 2006, 02:37 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I didn't (don't) really have many problems with IE7 and think the tabs are a great idea.

Steve
Old 12 April 2006, 02:44 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

IE7 only offers stuff already available in other browsers anyway. TBH I find IE6 buggy enough (usually 1 crash per day) when I have to use it for MS based web solutions.

Gary
Old 12 April 2006, 03:01 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
IE7 only offers stuff already available in other browsers anyway. TBH I find IE6 buggy enough (usually 1 crash per day) when I have to use it for MS based web solutions.

Gary
I'm getting at least 3 or 4 crashes per day from Firefox. Usually I end up having to go to task manager and ending the process to get rid of it!!

IE7 is still only in beta and the final release may contain a load of other stuff, so I'm holding off forming any firm opinions of it for now...
Old 12 April 2006, 03:06 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Iain,

yes FF has got slowly worse. Im using SQL server reporting services so have to use IE and a java client to Sage Line 500, because I continually have to open new IE windows via Ctrl+N thats where it (IE6) will typically hang with more regularity than I would like!

Gary
Old 12 April 2006, 04:43 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Yes, that is a bit flakey. I always start a new window from the icon and avoid ctrl-n completely
Old 12 April 2006, 04:48 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Well I'd personally would either stick with either:

A)... Windows XP (As Microsoft always rush these new O/Ses out which then means a hundred patches to be downloaded and installed within the first 3 - 6 months, to sort out the isues/bugs)

B).. Use LINUX.
Old 12 April 2006, 05:03 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
A)... Windows XP (As Microsoft always rush these new O/Ses out which then means a hundred patches to be downloaded and installed within the first 3 - 6 months, to sort out the isues/bugs)
I would hardly call Vista rushed, but I agree that it's not a good idea to jump ship straight away. It's likely that a load of existing software won't work (especially stuff that uses a 16-bit subsystem), and it may have trouble on some machines. There are so many different hardware combinations out there that it impossible for any testing department to cover them all. I fully expect to see a whole load of updates in the first few months.

B).. Use LINUX.
For what?
Old 12 April 2006, 05:18 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I would hardly call Vista rushed, but I agree that it's not a good idea to jump ship straight away. It's likely that a load of existing software won't work (especially stuff that uses a 16-bit subsystem), and it may have trouble on some machines. There are so many different hardware combinations out there that it impossible for any testing department to cover them all. I fully expect to see a whole load of updates in the first few months.

For what?
LINUX is free for a start. And also there are plenty of free applications available for it. As an example OpenOffice.

I take it your a Microsoft windows fan then ?

It's been my experience with MS products that when a new O/S or MS product comes out something always needs fixing on it. Take Win98. 1 year later and you had to purchase win98 SE to fix the bodge up they made with that O/S. The biggest bodge was WIN ME. what a piece of cr!p that was. Soon as that was released XP came out to replace it.
Old 12 April 2006, 05:20 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamanthaJ
Has anyone seen this new version of windows?

Any idea when it is coming out, and when i have to hide my pc from stupid alerts to more and more security patches it will probably cause?

I am interesed in it though, may download it, lol!
Your a dream M$ customer, want to upgrade and spend money doing so but have no real need or even know what you want it for! Why does everyone want the latest and greatest piece of software 'because its there', still your money your choice!
Old 12 April 2006, 09:40 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Approx 2 days on mine, when going back one page it kept going to the last web site!!!

IE6 has never crashed for me, so no point changing.
Old 13 April 2006, 10:11 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

LINUX is free for a start. And also there are plenty of free applications available for it. As an example OpenOffice.
Show me the Linux versions of premiere, photoshop, lightwave, visual studio .net, and the plethora of games I have, then I might take Linux seriously. It's ok as a reliable server OS, but for day to day use it's pretty useless for what I use computers for.

I take it your a Microsoft windows fan then ?
Not particularly. It works well for me though. Never had any particular problems with it over the many years I've been coding for it.

It's been my experience with MS products that when a new O/S or MS product comes out something always needs fixing on it.
True. However, have you seen the number of patches that have been released for Linux over the years, (and even OSX has had to have a few nasty ones addressed). Microsoft is not alone in this respect. People just enjoy slagging them off all the time for some strange reason.

Take Win98. 1 year later and you had to purchase win98 SE to fix the bodge up they made with that O/S. The biggest bodge was WIN ME. what a piece of cr!p that was. Soon as that was released XP came out to replace it.
Agreed that WinMe was naff. The biggest problem with that was that they tried to remove the reliance on MSDOS. Win95 and 98 were basically just a graphical front end sitting on top of the tried and tested MSDOS 6, and so had a much more stable base to be built upon.

That's one reason why I won't switch to Vista until it has been available for a while. They have made major changes under the covers, and so it's bound to have broken something that their testing departments haven't considered.

Last edited by Iain Young; 13 April 2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 13 April 2006, 10:13 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
Approx 2 days on mine, when going back one page it kept going to the last web site!!!

IE6 has never crashed for me, so no point changing.
The only reason for installing IE7 at the moment is for testing web code. I've installed it to check that the web applications I've written (at work) still function correctly in the new browser. It's still only in beta, so I wouldn't recommend you install it as a home user for your general use browser...
Old 14 April 2006, 12:42 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you're really keen to look at a Vista sneak preview. A big step forward:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...46112378047444

Old 14 April 2006, 01:18 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Show me the Linux versions of premiere, photoshop, lightwave, visual studio .net, and the plethora of games I have, then I might take Linux seriously. It's ok as a reliable server OS, but for day to day use it's pretty useless for what I use computers for.
Not true. You can get this to run Windows Apps on LINUX/UNIX X Windows:

http://frankscorner.org/

To be fair it needs to emulate the programs. But it still means not shelling out a couple hundred pounds on a Microsoft Operating system, when you can download and install a FREE Operating System, which roots come from a 40 years + tried and tested Operating System (UNIX).

Originally Posted by Ian Young
Not particularly. It works well for me though. Never had any particular problems with it over the many years I've been coding for it.
Horses for courses. I bet you still needed to obtain patches and downloads from Microsoft to get those troublesome things to work. Not saying that LINUX or MAC OS/X is any different.

True. However, have you seen the number of patches that have been released for Linux over the years, (and even OSX has had to have a few nasty ones addressed). Microsoft is not alone in this respect. People just enjoy slagging them off all the time for some strange reason.
The reason why Microsoft get slagged off , is because Bill Gates sells a product which has been alledgelly copied from AppleMacs Initial point and click GUI operating system. And from what I have read and seen on documentaries hackers/crackers take glee at trying to put the establishment down. Especially in the early years Microsoft coders didn't take warnings about massive loopholes about I.E seriously enough. And then looked what happens. I take it you have not seen/read 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'

Agreed that WinMe was naff. The biggest problem with that was that they tried to remove the reliance on MSDOS. Win95 and 98 were basically just a graphical front end sitting on top of the tried and tested MSDOS 6, and so had a much more stable base to be built upon.

That's one reason why I won't switch to Vista until it has been available for a while. They have made major changes under the covers, and so it's bound to have broken something that their testing departments haven't considered.
Windows 95 & 98 stable!! You're having a laugh. When Windows 95 first came out the word 'Blue Screen Of Death' and 'plug and pray' were buzz words of the time. Windows 98 was a better improvement. But why on earth did you have to buy Windows 98 Second Edition to fix the problems of the first Edition?

It's just unfortunate that Microsoft have the monopoly on Desktop PC Operating Systems. And also have a 40% share in Apple. Don't get me wrong, I use Windows XP on my PCs and find it adequate enough. but maybe one day LINUX will get to the same level as Microsofts O/S and can be run on standard PC equipment, without the need to upgrade every 5 minutes because of the bloatware you get today.

Not having a go. Just stating the other sides case.

Last edited by jpor; 14 April 2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:17 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I don't have a problem with Windows XP, I think the operating system is okay and certainly getting better. I have used Mac, Linux, Unix and all other variety of bespoke ones (Atari, Amiga etc...) and I like the Macintosh interface but these days it isn't so far ahead.

What I really like is that I can give someone a document written in Word, Powerpoint or Excel and they can probably open it. Not strictly related to the operating system but to having a dominant player in the market.

I went to do a presentation at Sun a few years ago, and they wouldn't let me use my PC (With Windows). They took off the powerpoint presentation, spent a while converting it to StarOffice (?), and gave me a laptop with that and my presentation on it to work from. Which is taking things too far ....

Steve
Old 14 April 2006, 08:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

OS X all the way

Dan
Old 14 April 2006, 11:00 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I went to do a presentation at Sun a few years ago, and they wouldn't let me use my PC (With Windows). They took off the powerpoint presentation, spent a while converting it to StarOffice (?), and gave me a laptop with that and my presentation on it to work from. Which is taking things too far ....

Steve
That was probably due to SUN battling Microsoft over JAVA in the Law courts...
Old 14 April 2006, 12:26 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not true. You can get this to run Windows Apps on LINUX/UNIX X Windows:

http://frankscorner.org/

To be fair it needs to emulate the programs. But it still means not shelling out a couple hundred pounds on a Microsoft Operating system, when you can download and install a FREE Operating System, which roots come from a 40 years + tried and tested Operating System (UNIX).
So you can run the software at half the spped, and not as reliably. I've tried running some of my applications under x-windows (I do use various flavours of unix at work), and some of it does not run well at all. Games are pretty much a non-starter.

Horses for courses. I bet you still needed to obtain patches and downloads from Microsoft to get those troublesome things to work. Not saying that LINUX or MAC OS/X is any different.
I've never had to download an OS patch to get anything to work. The only patches I've had to downlaod to get stuff working have been things display drivers, and that is the fault of the vendors. Nothing to do with microsoft.

The reason why Microsoft get slagged off , is because Bill Gates sells a product which has been alledgelly copied from AppleMacs Initial point and click GUI operating system.
So what if they did. They just saw a good idea, and made their own version of it. Surely that's just good business sense. This happens all over the world, not just in the IT industry.

And from what I have read and seen on documentaries hackers/crackers take glee at trying to put the establishment down. Especially in the early years Microsoft coders didn't take warnings about massive loopholes about I.E seriously enough. And then looked what happens. I take it you have not seen/read 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'
They take them very seriously now though. Security holes (when verified) are usually addressed very quickly.

Windows 95 & 98 stable!! You're having a laugh. When Windows 95 first came out the word 'Blue Screen Of Death' and 'plug and pray' were buzz words of the time. Windows 98 was a better improvement. But why on earth did you have to buy Windows 98 Second Edition to fix the problems of the first Edition?
I never had a single blue screen on window 95, 98, or 98se. Windows ME was a different animal (bug ridden piece of rubbish), but then even Microsoft admit this

It's just unfortunate that Microsoft have the monopoly on Desktop PC Operating Systems.
Why unfortunate? It's business. They have got where they are because people have bought their products, and they have been savvy enough to broker the right deals with manufacturers. Apple could be there if they had made the correct decisions (they were bigger than MS at one time), but I suspect Mr Gates is a more shrewd businessman.

but maybe one day LINUX will get to the same level as Microsofts O/S and can be run on standard PC equipment, without the need to upgrade every 5 minutes because of the bloatware you get today.
Not sure what you mean by "the same level". The only way to gaurantee your software (written for windows) will run is to run it on a windows operating system. Emulated systems will always be slower and have reliability concerns.

Not having a go. Just stating the other sides case.
Sounds very biased against MS though.

Personally, I see unix as a very reliable server OS, and Windows / OSX as good desktop choices. Which you choose depends entirely on your needs (for example OSX on a Mac is pretty useless for me, whereas it may be great for someone else).

Quick Reply: Windows Vista