Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Terminal Services Printing

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 08:02 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terminal Services Printing

How do you do yours, looking for some ideas. we dont have a print server so thats out of the question in the short term

just interested to see how people have gone about it

Rich
Old 12 April 2006, 01:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the past on clients sites we've used Print Servers or LPD printing. That can hog all the bandwidth over WANs in site-to-site applications so we've had some customers use bandwidth management to control it. Another option is to use the RDP or Citrix software to do printing to the remote client where it will manage the bandwidth a bit more efficiently.
Old 12 April 2006, 08:36 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I don’t know if this is what you’re after but we have several customers who some times work from home and connect to the server at the office using Terminal Services.

e.g. If the user is at home and they have a printer connected directly to their PC and want to print a document from the server, within Terminal Services, to their local printer at home, we install the print driver (for their home printer) onto the server.

Then when they connect/login to terminal services it automatically loads the driver for their home printer and you should see it installed when looking in the "Printers" control panel. If you look in event viewer on the server you will see a log telling you this.

Then all they have to do when in Terminal Services is just print to that printer and it will print to their home printer.

Hope this is what you’re after/trying to do??
Old 20 April 2006, 10:16 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

cheers for the pointers guys... I fogot all about this thread till I got to work today

we are wanting to push a app out using TS only 30 users ish max at any one time but will be covering 300 sites

the apps needs to be able to print

lots of our users have network printers but it seems with ts you can only redirect local printers - I can work round this by creating another local printer setting to lpt2 then sharing the Network printer and mapping the lpt2 port to the share

BUT is there a better way of doing it on the cheap, I ve looked at software like screw driver which all seems good but this app is only with us for 3 months ( why I want to use ts rather than install on 5k pc's)

Rich